Canucking the Sabre...

jocko417

I love the detail that you've added to the internals of the airbrakes,what an improvement.

You have the colour correct for them too,as I have mentioned on here before,they were not red,any red ones you see in pictures will be overpaints,the original colour is this olive green,which was also the airframe colour,top job.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Hello it's a great idea this new cockpit, please can you tell me where I can found all the textures of the cockpit, not the gauges but the elements as dash board, etc...

The elements like Jocko painted (throttle, plaps, dash, etc), for the gauges I know but not the other elements...

Thanks in advance. Skull

Hi Jocko

Thanks for sharing the pics of the RAF Sabre....I didn't even realise we had them at one point!

Did you base your skin on the scheme of the RAF one? It looks very similar except the roundels of course!!

Nice........

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Hi Jocko

Thanks for sharing the pics of the RAF Sabre....I didn't even realise we had them at one point!

Did you base your skin on the scheme of the RAF one? It looks very similar except the roundels of course!!

Nice........

The camo pattern was a standard NATO 4ATAF (4th Allied Tactical Airforce) paint scheme that was trialed around 1954 and was then in use for around ten years by various airforces in NW Europe. NATO countries who used the scheme included Canada, West Germany, Italy, Yugoslavia, and the U.K.

The RAF purchased a bunch of Canadian Sabres in the early fifties to counter the Eastern Bloc MiG threat, as the only jet types on strength at the time were older generation straight wing jets like the Meteor and Vampire. The Hawker Hunter had been intended to be the first swept wing interceptor for thr RAF but it's production was delayed so the Sabres were purchased as a stop gap measure.

In fact, of the four fighter wings that Canada sent to NATO, No. 1 Fighter Wing was initially based in North Luffenham, U.K., in order to protect Britain. After the RAF had equipped with more up to date aircraft, No. 1 Wing then joined the other three Canadian fighter wings in Europe, and was stationed at Marville, France.

NATO expanded so fast in the early fifties that Canadair Ltd had trouble keeping up with Sabre production. The upgraded Mk.5 Sabre that was to replace the aging Mk.2s in Europe wasn't ready in time so No.4 Wing RCAF "borrowed" part of the RAF's Mk.4 Sabre order and flew to Europe, with some aircraft sporting RAF markings and both RAF and RCAF serial numbers! Once the Mk.5 started arriving in Europe the Mk.4s were returned to the RAF. The original Mk.4 was an upgraded Mk.2, but still with the J-47 engine and narrow chord, slatted wings. They were eventually fitted with the hard edged, fenced 6-3 wing like the BST F-86F has. The RAF only used the Sabre for about three years. Since the money to purchase them was borrowed from the US government, the Sabres were "returned" to the USAF, who immediately sold them to Italy and Yugoslavia. Since the aircraft had had the wings upgraded to the 6-3 version they were marketed as the F-86E(M), M for Modified.

Clear as mud? :)

You sure do know your subject Jocko.....

I could certainly spend a happy few hours shuffling through your collection of Sabre photo's! :book:

Thanks for the info and history lesson. You may even have inspired me to look out for a decent book on the Sabre, it's history, old bases including here in Europe and of course plenty of pics in it! Can you recommend anything?

There's one Canadian lady currently on her way over here as I write this that I'm really looking forward to meeting. The Lancaster is over here for a couple of months and joining up with our BBMF one for the air show circuit. Were off to a local air show in a couple of weeks where they are both going to put in an appearance...what a sight that's going to be.....the only two flying examples in the world, in the same bit of sky at the same time.......that sound!!!! now I'm rambling and off topic....sorry :music_whistling:

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

You sure do know your subject Jocko.....

I could certainly spend a happy few hours shuffling through your collection of Sabre photo's! :book:

Thanks for the info and history lesson. You may even have inspired me to look out for a decent book on the Sabre, it's history, old bases including here in Europe and of course plenty of pics in it! Can you recommend anything?

There's one Canadian lady currently on her way over here as I write this that I'm really looking forward to meeting. The Lancaster is over here for a couple of months and joining up with our BBMF one for the air show circuit. Were off to a local air show in a couple of weeks where they are both going to put in an appearance...what a sight that's going to be.....the only two flying examples in the world, in the same bit of sky at the same time.......that sound!!!! now I'm rambling and off topic....sorry :music_whistling:

I'm on the road with work for the next two days but off the top of my head here are some great starting points:

13ADFEBF-9BCF-42E8-ABC9-16F96CC761C7_zpspzuqderl.jpg

As the title states, all things RAF.

0AC71505-4233-4F71-805A-E0191C10E8F1_zpsf12esfxa.png

As far as Canadians are concerned, the BIBLE on Sabre production here. Covers Canadair production history, as well as "foreign" service - RAF, Luftwaffe, SAAF, etc. These two books are technically out of print but there are many copies available on online sites. Keep in mind Milberry's book is hard cover and about two inches thick, so might be heavy for shipping.

Lastly, if you're into paint schemes and markings:

E2EFA38F-F076-4D61-B27B-3DD04E94D5B7_zpsod0rkkyd.jpg

Some nice profiles, keeping in mind that period photos always trump artistic impressions ;)

As for the Lanc, I'm jealous of you all in Blighty, this will be the first time our Lanc has flown formation with another since the sixties. Rumour has it one plan will have your Taxi-able Lanc with it's engines running while the other two pass over it in formation. What a photo op!

Hello it's a great idea this new cockpit, please can you tell me where I can found all the textures of the cockpit, not the gauges but the elements as dash board, etc...

The elements like Jocko painted (throttle, plaps, dash, etc), for the gauges I know but not the other elements...

Thanks in advance. Skull

Try the Mods folder in your DCS World directory. :)

Finally got rid of those damned Bort numbers :music_whistling:

dcs2014-08-0914-57-24-18_zps41697345.jpg~original

dcs2014-08-0914-56-33-88_zpsa1e302ba.jpg~original

dcs2014-08-0914-56-15-12_zps46c2c14d.jpg~original

Canadair Sabre Mk.5 23220 of No.439 Sqn, 1 Fighter Wing, RCAF Station Marville, France, circa mid fifties.

Still a bunch of details to add, and haven`t started weathering yet.

dcs2014-08-1022-27-59-49_zps7e87678b.jpg~original

dcs2014-08-1022-18-05-58_zpsb572a00e.jpg~original

ph-10413_zps2a82f3af.jpg~original

Sabre Mk.5 23207, coded KH-207 of No. 411 (County of York) Sqn, RCAF Auxiliary, based at Downsview, Ontario, circa late 50s.

A few details left to add, looking forward to the official template 'cause I suck at bare metal :noexpression:

Another great Canadian skin Jocko,I love all of these,......but I can't wait to see a 51st or a 4th historic Fighter wing Sabre skin emerging from all the talent on here.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

WOW Jocko,

You repaint is just awesome, please can you tell me if you share this skin ?

Thanks again and congratulation, it's perfect.

Skull.

Hello, someone can say me where I can found the instrument panel of the Sabre ?

Because I would try one thing but impossible to found the textures of the dash.

Thanks, skull

hi again jocko.......

I took your advice and went ahead and ordered those two books you recommended, plus the flight crew declassified manual (which hasn't yet arrived). The two books have though and I am very happy with both, started reading the Sabre in the RAF one already, good read. I'm ex RAF anyway and have been to some of the bases they talk about in the book and can associate with some of the squadrons mentioned....

Thanks again for the recommendations, and your skins.......looking forward to their release.

I fly a lot on the VA server so would it be possible, with your permission of course, once you have released them and Belsimtek release the skin template that we could ask Pman for some of them to be added to the Sabres on their server? It sure would brighten up the Sabre line a bit!

On a second....and off topic note, your Lancaster is causing quite a stir over here. I haven't yet seem them flying, but fingers crossed Sunday :D

Edited by bart

Hi bart, glad you like the books! As for the Lanc... not jealous at all...:rolleyes:

Have been playing with Skatezilla's weathering layers, nice job and sure makes the details pop! :thumbup:

dcs2014-08-1501-39-54-63_zpseffdec66.jpg~original

dcs2014-08-1501-41-41-97_zps132b4cac.jpg~original

Sabre Mk.5 23180 of No. 413 "Tusker" Sqn, 3 Fighter Wing, RCAF Station Zweibruecken, West Germany, 1954.

Yes, that's an ELEPHANT. :) 413 started out flying PBYs in the CBI theatre during WW2 and adopted the Indian elephant as a mascot. I'm willing to bet nobody ever thought that one day their mascot would go supersonic...

And yes, one day I'll get around to doing the wing stencils :music_whistling:

Edited by jocko417
spelling

• 4 months later...

Hi OilcanHarry,

All skins are available for DL on the DCS homepage under User Files. Search my handle and you'll find all the Sabre stuff I've uploaded. Caveat - I've paused for a bit, we still don't even have an official skinning template, usually when things get patched I have to go back and update the skins if the mapping has been changed etc. I've still got a lot of stuff planned but I'm working on some skins for my online squad for a different sim right now :)