Mig-21 anyone

Maico249th

My fellow Pilots:

Its been a while since I posted here. First let me thank Belsimtek for the successful release of this great module. I am under the impression that the Mig-21 was released with the F-86... please someone verify.

Fighting with the '15 leads to at best a stalemate for me. The 15 is too quick a climber and I am too slow to kill him. After a few minutes of T&B I am tired and begging him to kill me :helpsmilie:.

So, enter the '21. Ahhhh now there is fight. He is in it to win it and gets down and dirty. I am avoiding buildings and trees while we fight. He scissors and uses B&Z. What a fight! Fantastic. HOWEVER, there is a fly in my cake. I finally got him low and slow and he pulled up in front of me pretty as could be. Locked him up and hit him with a BUNCH of .50 cal. He just flew away. This happened a few times. (Yes, just like the Long Nose Dora 9) I was about to give up when on one flight he suddenly ejected after I had hit him two or three times. If I have one complaint is that the .50 are really weak. (Or the Mig is made of Steel.)

Please do try a fight against this opponent. It is fun, and so is the James Jabara mission.

The F-86 is nothing short of EPIC!

Maico

i gotta say, I tried the the fishbed after having no luck after hours locked in with the fagot. and much to my delight, i actually got rounds on fairly quickly. this didnt lead to a splash, but was satisfying none the less getting a streak of hits down the fuselage. at least much more satisfying than spending 10 minutes turning, then 30 seconds climbing, and repeat with the fagot.

the mig-21 was apparently an even match for the f-4, following the experiences in Vietnam, perhaps it makes sense the sabre can down the fishbed in a gunfight?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The AI MiG-21 in-game currently has some significant damage model bugs, so expect some strange results (and visual issues).

Flying as a human in a MiG-21 vs F-86 is rather easy.

Superior power, acceleration and climb mean that you reign supreme if you turn it into an energy fight (which you can do by just hitting the aftbn and going vertical). :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The MiG-21 is far newer than the F-86F, they're not really designed to fight one another. The MiG-21 included in 1.2.9 is the AI model only, ready for when the module is released. The F-86F is intended to fight against the more similarly dated - and therefore easier - MiG-15.

I'm not arguing the current damage model of the MiG-21 (and MiG-15) is correct, but the .50 cals are REALLY weak. Yesterday I had to put over 60 rounds into another Sabre to take him down. Very unlike the GSh-301, which will usually kill with the first short burst.

60 .50 cal rounds sounds reasonable - especially depending on where you land the rounds. They're not a massive round compared to the 23mm cannon round that the Mig-15 has. You've got to land a decent burst to make up for the lower destructiveness of the .50 cal round. On the upside it has better ballistic qualities than the 23mm cannon round, is much more quick firing and you can carry a lot more of it.

xxJohnxx wrote:

"I am still strugling to fight gravity, let alone the MiG-15. Thanks for the tip though!"

LOL We all struggle with gravity Ha, ha. Good one.

SimonC wrote:

"The MiG-21 is far newer than the F-86F, they're not really designed to fight one another. The MiG-21 included in 1.2.9 is the AI model only, ready for when the module is released. The F-86F is intended to fight against the more similarly dated - and therefore easier - MiG-15. "

I bet there were a few guys in Vietnam that wish they had F-86 to fight against the "older, obsolete" Mig-17. The F-104 was supposed to be much better than the Mig-17/19 but it was a failure. Yes, 21 is superior but not going to have his way all the time.

Imp wrote:

"I'm not arguing the current damage model of the MiG-21 (and MiG-15) is correct, but the .50 cals are REALLY weak. Yesterday I had to put over 60 rounds into another Sabre to take him down. Very unlike the GSh-301, which will usually kill with the first short burst. "

That is what I am saying man, Precisely. The Mustang and F-86s guns are weak. I covered the '21 from bow to stern and.... Nothing.

Cobra487 wrote:

"The AI MiG-21 in-game currently has some significant damage model bugs, so expect some strange results (and visual issues)."

What damage modeling? All I saw was a little stream of fuel in over ten engagements.

dumgrunt wrote:

"gotta say, I tried the the fishbed after having no luck after hours locked in with the fagot. and much to my delight, i actually got rounds on fairly quickly. this didnt lead to a splash, but was satisfying none the less getting a streak of hits down the fuselage. at least much more satisfying than spending 10 minutes turning, then 30 seconds climbing, and repeat with the fagot. the mig-21 was apparently an even match for the f-4, following the experiences in Vietnam, perhaps it makes sense the sabre can down the fishbed in a gunfight? "

Now, you my friend know what your are talking about. Good stuff.

Edited by Maico249th

The AI MiG-21 in-game currently has some significant damage model bugs, so expect some strange results (and visual issues).

Flying as a human in a MiG-21 vs F-86 is rather easy.

Superior power, acceleration and climb mean that you reign supreme if you turn it into an energy fight (which you can do by just hitting the aftbn and going vertical). :)

That. It felt a bit like the F-105 vs the MiG-17, but reversed countries. Granted, the -21 is way better at turning than the Thud, but not as good as the Sabre. However, the sheer force that engine is packing makes it very easy for him to just take off. The only chance I really had was jumping him and landing hits before he could react, or if he'd been crazy enough to follow me in turning.

Yeah, the AI isn't too smart in a dogfight. I ran the MiG-21 out of fuel and he ejected. He'll constantly try and get his nose on you without gaining any separation first. I think with a humam opponent the result might have been different. The Sabre could still hold its own in a turning fight though, just not even close in the vertical.