[REPORTED] Windshield

Fox One

Please see picture 1 below. The problem with the flat windshield on DCS model is that it is too wide in the upper part. Also see how in the pictures of the real thing on the upper part of the flat windshield it is visible how the framing inside the cockpit actually gets even more narrow.

In picture 2, on the upper part of the flat windshield the point where the framing inside the cockpit gets narrower than on the outside is clearly visible, giving the characteristic shape. The uppermost part of the flat windshield is like 3 times more narrow than DCS model! Also see that is not only a matter of the shape of the flat windshield, its metal framing is also considerably wider than on DCS model. The combined effect of all the errors – the windshield in DCS as seen from the cockpit practically doesn’t resemble the real thing.

1.thumb.jpg.11ba2c8efa45f7694153329e5c3f207d.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.5e41cc22b134f579de10834e91d7c4b7.jpg

Also a lot of the F-86F cockpits that I've seen don't have the compass screwed in right at the top of the canopy frame. It's a really poor place for it and gets in the way during combat. Most of the cockpit pictures show it bottom left or right.

Yes, I noticed that as well. I lost a tonne of MiGs from that darn compass ;)

To make a good comparison, you need first to find the proper picture of the real cockpit.

The sabre has been a highly modified aircraft with a lot of different versions and cockpit layouts.

The windshield was even modified and changed from the early versions of the Sabre.

None of the pictures you posted here are the same model as the DCS model.

You can see that some are not even F-86F series some does not even have the same type of instruments.

I do not mean you are wrong, but I suggest you find the correct cockpit piture to compare and extract conclusions

To make a good comparison, you need first to find the proper picture of the real cockpit.

The sabre has been a highly modified aircraft with a lot of different versions and cockpit layouts.

The windshield was even modified and changed from the early versions of the Sabre.

You can see that some are not even F-86F series some does not even have the same type of instruments.

I do not mean you are wrong, but I suggest you find the correct cockpit piture to compare and extract conclusions

Cockpit instruments are not what this is about. It doesn’t matter. All pictures are of E and F models and, as expected, the windshield in all of them is identical. In day fighter variants of the Korean War (A, E, F) the windshield was changed only once, from the early V-shaped one. And it is obvious in none of the pictures is a V-shaped windshield. So there is no need to find the correct pictures, they are already correct.

The best way to prove I’m wrong would be to post some pictures that actually look like DCS model ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

..he has the correct picture.:smilewink:

Cockpit instruments are not what this is about. It doesn’t matter. All pictures are of E and F models and, as expected, the windshield in all of them is identical. In day fighter variants of the Korean War (A, E, F) the windshield was changed only once, from the early V-shaped one.

You mean from the early A model rectangular one to the later bent curved one.

And it is obvious in none of the pictures is a V-shaped windshield. So there is no need to find the correct pictures, they are already correct.

The best way to prove I’m wrong would be to post some pictures that actually look like DCS model ;)

He is 100% correct.

See also please my post here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2136661#post2136661

Self quoting that post (lol, self quotes suck :cry: )

See the pics and comments.

The pics are F-86Fs, Canadair Sabre 4/5/6s..which have the same shape.

Only the "H" model sported a different shap again.

Also the frame to panel ratio and frame thickness is off.

Warbird_Heritage_Foundation_F_86_airshow_demo_f.jpg

Tom_Wood_F_86_Sabre_on_Vimeo_frame_2330.jpg

F_86_F_35.jpg

And so on, see my post...

Videos

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Agree with the OP on this, I would like to see a more realistic windshield on our Sabre.

Another thing I've noticed too which I don't think has been mentioned before is the canopy.........on the external view just behind the ejection seat headrest there are 5 or 6 parallel lines on the canopy...I assume these are MDC chords to shatter the canopy on ejection? You can clearly see them on the external view but crank your head around when sitting in her and they are not there.......any chance we could have these added in the next patch please?? :thumbup:

Just loving the Sabre so far though.......

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Agree with the OP on this, I would like to see a more realistic windshield on our Sabre.

Another thing I've noticed too which I don't think has been mentioned before is the canopy.........on the external view just behind the ejection seat headrest there are 5 or 6 parallel lines on the canopy...I assume these are MDC chords to shatter the canopy on ejection? You can clearly see them on the external view but crank your head around when sitting in her and they are not there.......any chance we could have these added in the next patch please?? :thumbup:

Just loving the Sabre so far though.......

Those lines above the canopy are not for shatter. They are sense aerials; a part of the ADF navigation system. Indeed they should be there instead of the dive angle markers, but perhaps we'll have an option to turn the dive angle markers on and off.

Those lines above the canopy are not for shatter. They are sense aerials; a part of the ADF navigation system. Indeed they should be there instead of the dive angle markers, but perhaps we'll have an option to turn the dive angle markers on and off.

That's what they are!

Shouldn't we have both then?

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

That's what they are!

Shouldn't we have both then?

Yea, there's nothing saying we can't have both. But some Sabres didn't have them at all, particularly most of the Korean War Sabres. So if a Korean War Sabre skin is made, then hopefully it will be possible to also remove the dive angle markers.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, that is huge difference. Is this going to be fixed?

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

• 4 weeks later...
Also a lot of the F-86F cockpits that I've seen don't have the compass screwed in right at the top of the canopy frame. It's a really poor place for it and gets in the way during combat. Most of the cockpit pictures show it bottom left or right.

+1

might be easy with ORift or TIR5 to see well, but if you only have your hat switch/keyboard than there's a huge blind spot:music_whistling::doh:

Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

Also the place of the mirror seems really wired, compares to one of these picturs the 3D model doesn't seem complete.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aircraft I have thoroughly studied: A-10C, Ka-50, Mig-21bis, UH-1H, Boeing 737-800/900, Dash-8Q400, Bell-407

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i7-8750H@2.2GHz 6 Cores turbo up to 4.1GHz, GTX1070 Max-Q@8GB GRAM, 16G RAM, 512G SSD, 500G SSD, CH Product Fighter Stick, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5.

• 5 months later...

Thanks Belsimtek for fixing some of the Sabre bugs, I'm very happy about the new firing rate!

Although I'm not sure if it's against any kind of etiquette to resurrect this thread, I feel like this thread should get some attention. The cockpit looks very different compared to the real thing, and now that the MiG-15 is now a player-useable aircraft, I'm losing more MiGs behind the compass than ever. I still can't find a single image of an F-86F where the compass is there.

• 3 weeks later...

F-86F windshield

I started a new thread here since I feel the other one was too old.

Now that Belsimtek has decided to commit more time to the Mi-8 and F-86, I'd like to reiterate the fact that the current Sabre canopy is incorrect and should be fixed. I'm having trouble finding F-86F cockpit pictures, so if anyone has F-86F-35 interiors, please post them here. The best I could find was the black and white image below.

199-1.jpg01.jpg

Note that the windshield armor plate has a significant effect on how the cockpit looks. The two frames that make up the windshield should also be closer together at the top as depicted below.

aa30.jpg04.jpg

Finally I noticed that the compass that is in front of our faces in the DCS module is off to the side in most F-86 interior shots, though I can't find pictures specific to our Sabre. I'm lead to believe that the compass should be off to the side though.

Im not so sure about the placement of the compass, as these cockpit pictures I've found of a sabre with the A-4 Gunsight show that they are in the top right corner.

5796961140_1c1569531c_z.jpg

F-86F-5.jpg

It would be nice to have it off to the right though.

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Only the F-86F-35/40 had the LABS integrated for tactical Nuclear deliveries (which can be seen in the 2 photos I posted)

"The F-35 block had provisions for a new task: the nuclear tactical attack with one of the new small "nukes" ("second generation" nuclear ordnance)." -Wikipedia (yes unreliable but the only source that shows it)

Edited by SilentGun

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)