Reproducible CTD under 1.2.9 when unchecking Comm box in ME

SkyKnight

Hey folks -

Discovered this rather nasty bug introduced with v1.2.9 update:

Any mission with AI aircraft that have the "Comm" checkbox UNCHECKED in the Mission Editor will Crash to Desktop when loaded via the Multiplayer Client. You will then get the "DCS has stopped working" message box.

This is easily reproducible. Simply drop an AI aircraft into a new mission, uncheck the "Comm" box, save the mission, exit the Mission Editor, then LOAD the mission via "MULTIPLAYER". Kaboom... CTD while the mission is loading.

Note that if you "Fly" the mission from the Mission Editor, it will load just fine. This bug appears only in the Multiplayer Client.

Our squadron often unchecks the Comm box in the missions we build, as a way of silencing the chatty AI aircraft during multiplayer. In v1.2.8 and earlier, this was not a problem to do so.

~SkyKnight

Yup...pretty annoying hearing those guys yakkin all the time. ED ball is in your court.

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

wouldn't unchecking "allied flight reports" in the game options menu stop it?

True, good call on that. This would probably be one way to silence all the chatter completely. However, if you wanted the majority of your AI chatter to be turned off but wanted to leave specific AI chatter on, then this wouldn't work. It really depends on how the mission designer is building the mission.

Overall, this is a bug that will hopefully be looked at my ED and fixed because the way my squad builds missions is how I mentioned above. We love to have the ability to turn off chatter on specific AI units but have the ability to turn on specific AI chatter when needed.

I have attached a zip file containing the APPCRASH report, a track showing the crash when loading up in MP and the DCS Crash dmp file. Please note that this issue only affects MP when unchecking the Comm box in the ME.

Thank you,

DCS-Crash-20140730-013548.zip

~ LA

[sIGPIC]sigpic89379_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Intel Core Haswell i5-4670K OC @ 4.2GHz | Asus Z87-Plus mobo | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600 Ram | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 OC w/ 8GB memory | Oculus Rift w/ Touch Controllers | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack | Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG |Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 4 C‬lip | Helios

Black Knights Squadron Member

wouldn't unchecking "allied flight reports" in the game options menu stop it?

You'd think, right? Unfortunately, all that does is stop the message text from appearing at the top of the screen. The audio will still play.

So to truly silence the AI, you must uncheck the Comm box, or go through the more elaborate process of creating an advanced waypoint action to Silence.

This crash also happens with late activation aircraft that don't have the box checked.

Yep, I can concur. I had to fix one of my squad's missions that was crashing about an hour into the mission. I finally realized the mission designer was activating helos at a specific trigger. The check box was not checked for the helos and once they were active... Boom, CTD. :cry:

Thankfully I was able to fix the issue but it is annoying having to listen to the chatter of the AI. I am hoping ED can look into this and put it on their things to fix list.

Thank you,

~ LA

[sIGPIC]sigpic89379_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Intel Core Haswell i5-4670K OC @ 4.2GHz | Asus Z87-Plus mobo | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600 Ram | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 OC w/ 8GB memory | Oculus Rift w/ Touch Controllers | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack | Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG |Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 4 C‬lip | Helios

Black Knights Squadron Member