How to fly, fight and have a good time in DCS F-86

Maico249th

Ok fellow pilots:

I am sharing knowledge gained from constantly reading this site and the QSM (Quick Start Manual). MODERATORS, why is this Not a sticky?

Here is a list of hints, mistakes and practical exercises. We are going to treat this as a military exercise. We are going to "Pump you up".:)

Read, Read and READ the QSM. Also read EvilBivols Tips and Hints. Take a trip, hop on the bus and Read the manual or RTFM (read the f-ing manual)

Common mistakes.

1. Most people will have to invert the input on their brakes. Easy enough. In F-86 Real/Axis commands/Click Brakes Left or Right/ Then Click Axis Tune and check invert. ALSO make sure you assign buttons to Unlock Right Brake and Left Brake.

Take a night to create a nice profile. This Sim has made me make a special profile for X-52 and TIR. I like it That much.

2. The Uncage lever and the Uncage button are NOT the same thing. Uncage lever has no command to program and must be done by mouse. Uncage button has to be programed to the joystick(I put it on the throttle for stabilities sake) and must be used to get a lock. But you already read the manual right? What? PUSH UPS!

3. Your inputs are not optimal straight out the box. Oh, man... here comes that word again..... READ THIS http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=127678

4. Do not expect the F-86 to be superior to anything but that is why you are "Da Man" and you will out wit the ai. Once you learn hot to maneuver the F-86 you will be knocking them down like flies.

Ok, now that you are well read and know your way round the pit... We send you on a survivable mission since we want you and most importantly our aircraft back.

So, Do Not try to be a hero. Practice Booming and Zooming the easy targets such as the "F-86 Intercept" of An-20. Get them nasty spins and airbrake timings down pat. Learn to use the sight. Before you tackle fighters get proficient at flying and shooting FIRST. Attack at high angles so you can get good at the "bounce". Do this one or two nights. Be honest with yourself. "Am I good at this yet?"

Ok, that took a couple of days of your life. Now we are ready for the nasty. F-86 vs Mig-21. Yes, the 21. Not as maneuverable as the 15 it is the Phantoms against the Mig-17 all over again. Except this time you are in the '17. Get it? Learn how to NOT fly his fight and keep your speed up. Do this for at least an hour or two of training. You will be learning to use the sight again. After a day or two you are ready.

Now Nugget are you are ready to have fun? I don't think I heard you ARE YOU READY?!?! Ok, that's better.

The single mission "MiG Sweep" can be found in Mission (under Training) Click on the F-86 icon then Mig Sweep. Be James Jabara, Ace, Balls of Steel Supreme. Get in the soup and fly the bowl. That is, stay inside the furball and shoot at the baddies without hitting the good guys. Allthewhile Watch SIX! This is a dangerous environment. However since you came this far I will give you some hints.

1. Program something to fold that Stupid Mirror. Keep it folded while shooting and use it while looking for prey( to avoid being prey). Don't rely on it though... Head on a swivel, remember?

2. Program a button to "Jump into selected aircraft". Why?!? Cos you will die and then you can cycle with F2 to another F-86, hit the button and be flying again. Now remember to Uncage (lever) and fold the silly mirror. GO!

Are we having fun yet? Hope so...

Maico.

• Like 1

just purchased today.......looking forward to this bird.....;-)

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

What's the deal with everyone's obsession with distorting the stick input? All DCS modules go to a great length to replicate how it functions IRL. Why throw the challenge of learning to fly a brand new module out the window in favour of curves to make the flying as simple as possible?

What's the deal with everyone's obsession with distorting the stick input? All DCS modules go to a great length to replicate how it functions IRL. Why throw the challenge of learning to fly a brand new module out the window in favour of curves to make the flying as simple as possible?

That'd be great if we all had RL sticks with proper extensions for the right amount of throw. For some of us using the curves helps to better simulate how the stick would probably be IRL for most of the throw range though we might suffer a bit at the outer range. There can also be other reasons like quality issues with the stick e.g. pot jitter, stick movement inaccuracy, etc. and a curve can help to lessen the impact of these.

I find your approach to posting rude, uninformed, bitter and most of all uninteresting. If you have proof that my advice is bad, Post it. If you dont like my advise, then don't just bash it. Show some class and respect.

Thank you

Maico

• Like 1

On the issue of curves I agree with Scrim.. I played alot with curves in the past but prefer to keep them linear now.. Problem being there is always a compromise, curves while reduse sensitivity in the low range stick movement, increase the sensitivity/defection in the mid so.. yeah.. dogfighting wise mid range is very important so adding curves not good imo.

On the issue of curves I agree with Scrim.. I played alot with curves in the past but prefer to keep them linear now.. Problem being there is always a compromise, curves while reduse sensitivity in the low range stick movement, increase the sensitivity/defection in the mid so.. yeah.. dogfighting wise mid range is very important so adding curves not good imo.

And that is all fine and great for your situation.. Depending on the equipment owned, sometimes curve adjustment is very necessary to even fly any of these modules... Case in point is the P-51 and my current equipment.. Without a slight tweak in settings it will go into high speed stall with nearly ANY stick input..

Kinda wrecks the whole experience..

(There are valid reasons that the settings were programmed with adjustability built in..)

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

To say that you can fly any module with a linear curve on all controllers is simply bunkum. IF you have the same controller that was used to develop the sim, then maybe a linear curve is appropriate.

HOWEVER, there are numerous sticks out there, and all of them will have different sensitivities. The only way to have identical outputs would be for each stick to have a profile within DCS, and of course, that hasn't, and won't happen.

What works for you, works for you. Just don't try telling everyone your solutions work for everyone, cuz they won't.

And as for being respectful to other posters, and suggesting that people are obsessed by something because you do it differently just shows how utterly ignorant you are. Do us all a favour, and try to treat other people the way you'd like them to treat you. You'll be a lot less unpopular that way!

The default curves do not accurately replicate the real aircraft in most they are a straight line but it does not give the same result as a real aircrafts controls. So the P51D and the UH1 are classic examples with both you wont have a realistic performance and will wind up all over the place in some situations. So default curves are not realistic, you do have to tweak them, imagine not being able to hover a UH1 or not being able to turn a P51D around. That's how bad it can be with some controllers if they are not adjusted.(even EDs devs recommend adjusting them)

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

In my opinion, curves are ok but a stick extensions are better (less down sides). I fly without either using a TM warthog which is a very accurate stick. It's still extremely sensitive so I will probably get a stick extension eventually but for now I feel that flying without curves keeps my skills that little bit sharper.

FUN FLASH! I changed my icons to +. They are tiny dots. A lot more immersive without all the extra text. Ok back to topic.

I have a problem with centering my Pedals. The centering is weak. The result is that I fly with the ball off center. To avoid this, I have a dead zone on my pedals. I cant recommend you have one because everyone's equipment and flying style is different.

I use the joy on this sim with a very light touch and the curves keep me from stalling constantly. (X-52Pro) Maybe when I get used to the Sabre I may reduce the curves so I can have finer control. But again, that is what works for me.

Bottom line. Do what Is best for YOU. Don't be afraid to experiment and try different things. Keep trying new things and keep an open mind with new aircraft.

Now, back to the having fun part... Got my first real Missile kill against a '21 today. There have been a first kill but it was a combination of missile and guns. After the missile exploded next to him I got an F2 view and saw tail pieces blown off. He hardly maneuvered and I shot most of my ammo into him before he fell. Not a real missile kill.

Today's kill was pure missile. As he went up, I got good tone and fired from about 200m. The missile's explosion completely hid the enemy plane. As I scrambled to turn on my guns(hint: Right click with mouse) I saw there was a fuel leak and he ejected almost immediately . Woohoooo!

In conclusion, the Missile works, the Mig is not indestructible and there is some fun value here.

A realistic sized stick extension really does make things a lot easier.

Here's mine:

attachment.php?attachmentid=89927&d=1382536946

The trouble with curves is you are just trading better "sensitivity" in one area of the stick movment for worse in another, if that makes sense.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

A realistic sized stick extension really does make things a lot easier.

Here's mine:

attachment.php?attachmentid=89927&d=1382536946

The trouble with curves is you are just trading better "sensitivity" in one area of the stick movment for worse in another, if that makes sense.

Cool setup, I've seen some guys do the same to their throttles to allow realistic throttle sensitivity for things like formation/inflight refuelling.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

All of them.

If you check out the UH1 video:

They describe the curves and why they are set the way they are as the real UH1 behaves.(this setup matches closely the real UH1 movement) And this would make things like hovering easier which is particularly important when doing sling loads.

Another one is for the P51D which is quite important.

3min25

For the F-86 I'd like to see some of the devs settings but from my own observations you want an increase in deadzone otherwise the controls in a stick like an x45 will be jumpy and over responsive.(the real F86 ain't jumpy and over responsive otherwise you could never do A/G accurately).

I've found videos like this a big help, I'll have to ask Bunyap what his settings are.:thumbup:

Some cool features I've found the radar is quite handy particularly for A/A so some buttons I recommend mapping.

1/ NWS

2/ Sight electrical caging button

3/ Aim selection key

4/ Microphone key

Sight electrical caging button you can use for both A/A and A/G and in A/A it automatically adjusts for range to the tgt instead of doing it the old fashioned way manually like in the P51D.

Other buttons mapped

5/ Range + -

6/ Wingspan + -

(lol just in case)

7/ gun fire

8/ Pickle

9/ Airbrake

Edited by SUBS17
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]