How to fly, fight and have a good time in DCS F-86

Maico249th

• 3 months later...
Can someone contribute something about how to Have Fun in this sim. I think it would be better than "My curve is better than your straight line".

We are Way off topic here.

Maico

Hi Maico, I've just gotten the F-86 and am enjoying it quite a bit. Your tips were appreciated and helpful. Hopefully this thread can be revived with more insights from you more experienced folks.

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Maico you said 'Fun in F86'? What about some exotic air combat/air combat training?

Lets pretend you are american instructor sent to Taiwan

...In May 1951 the USA have sent a small group of instructors to Taiwan, the task of which was to reorganize the Nationalist armed forces. By 1953, this job was completed so far, that the Chinese Nationalist Air Force (CNAF) could be equipped with more modern fighters, including enough Republic F-84G Thunderjets to form one squadron. Simultaneously, it also operated two squadrons of P-47s, and one of P-51s. Additional deliveries were to follow soon...

...and Taiwan later received F86F

So you as an american instructor will train Taiwanese pilots in Dissimilar Air Combat - P51D vs F86F

Have Fun! ;)

Edited by 313_Nevo

• 2 months later...
What's the deal with everyone's obsession with distorting the stick input? All DCS modules go to a great length to replicate how it functions IRL. Why throw the challenge of learning to fly a brand new module out the window in favour of curves to make the flying as simple as possible?

Its not like that at all in fact if you check out the Mig21 manual for example it gives you curve settings for optimal performance that closely matches the real aircrafts stick behavior.

Right now I'm using the same settings for the F-86 as I do for the Mig21 until I find a better setting. What this does is allow for more accurate flight of the aircraft which is what you want another good video to check out is the curve settings for the P51D because if you don't adjust the settings in such aircraft they are virtually impossible to fly let alone use to dogfight or do A/G missions with.(and this F-86 is no exception with my stick) I remember the SU25T when it was released the devs said its AFM don't adjust the curves leave it as a line but since then the P51D the devs stated the curves must be adjusted because of the deflection of the control surfaces and how they behave in the real aircraft.

Regarding the Mig21s settings in the Flight manual we use:

pitch roll rudder

deadzone 1-3 1-3 1-5

saturationX 100 100 100

saturationY 100 100 100

curvature 20-25 10-25 20-25

I'm finding these settings ok although if a real F-86 pilot were to chime in and mention how it compares to the real F-86 it would be cool.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

• 8 months later...

Thanks Maico. Finally trying some A-A in the F-86 now that 1.5 is out.

Using this -> The F-86 Dog Fight Training Module

Having a bit of fun but way too many spins.

The Visibility feature is interesting ... still it doesn't help with initially finding the bad guys. I think missions guarding bombers with Migs intercepting is the obvious way to bring fighters together. The MIGS get GCI assistance and the Sabres just wait for the attack.

I wonder if the bombers ever had radar sets in them that could detect incoming fighters?