New Monitor Setup - advice needed

Just started a new job far from home and I'm finding myself with too much time on my hands. So.... It is time to improve my setup.

I'm currently running a single 27" Doublesight monitor and a pair of 9 inch displays as MFDs.

I'm thinking about buying 3 more monitors and setting them up in the following configuration:

_____XXXX

XXXX XXXX XXXX

Where the two side monitors are angled in a little and the top one is angled down. Not a perfect wrap around sim, but pretty close.

Has anyone else tried something like this? Any suggestions on the crazy .lua programming I would need to pull this off? Which monitor should be primary? Thanks in advance!

Instrument and multi-engine rated pilot

SAR pilot with US Air Force Auxillary / Civil Air Patrol, Colorado Wing

i wouldn't contemplate 3 monitors at all anymore, (not unless i had a machine that could run it effortlessly and the money of course but the monitors would be 42 inch in size) to run i use a 42' LED/LCD TV with a 24 inch monitor mounted underneath, the large screen is brilliant, immersion is terrific, frames are great. And the outlay overall is cheaper. You should consider it.

100_1585_zps5e1e3168.jpg

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

I agree. I have a similar setup (40" TV w 22" touch screen below) and it really does work well.

ThePit14-05-27_zpsbfb06c45.jpg

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

But you just don't get that all important peripheral vision. A 4 monitor set-up is still the way to go - unless you have a tent/projector system. I'd suggest you might get on better with the 4th monitor below the row of 3 though. The all important cockpit is always just a glance away then.

There are however some issues that need to be addressed. The F10 map view is pants, and I can't get anywhere with trying to re-position the kneeboard.

I would definitely recommend 4 screens despite those small difficulties though.

I do dcs and several fps's and triple screen is the way to go. I use inexpensive 39" 60hz TV's. You do need a decent VGA card to run it. Everything ran good to great on my old 6970 but now everything is great on a 290.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice! To keep up my real world instrument currency, I train sometimes in a TruFlite simulator with a wrap around projection screen and a handful of projectors. Has anyone ever tried to run DCS in a system like that?

i wouldn't contemplate 3 monitors at all anymore, (not unless i had a machine that could run it effortlessly and the money of course but the monitors would be 42 inch in size) to run i use a 42' LED/LCD TV with a 24 inch monitor mounted underneath, the large screen is brilliant, immersion is terrific, frames are great. And the outlay overall is cheaper. You should consider it.

I Run 4 Screens fine, (*note this off screen video was recorded with a Sapphire 7950 driving the graphics so it dips and tears on the right screen, before I upgraded to a MSI Lightning for the 4 MiniDPs)

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

If you could get a proper image, with no distortion, for the one camera view or run three camera views with the ability to set the camera angles to match the monitor positions, then three screens might be worth it. Otherwise, not for me.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Skatezilla - that looks really great. Can you share the .lua file you used to run that?

On the video, it looked like the image "rubber bands" or stretches a little, as the camera angle moves around and you look to the extreme sides. Is that distortion just on the video or does it happen while flying, too?

Skatezilla - that looks really great. Can you share the .lua file you used to run that?

On the video, it looked like the image "rubber bands" or stretches a little, as the camera angle moves around and you look to the extreme sides. Is that distortion just on the video or does it happen while flying, too?

That is what it will look like when you fly, which is the distortion I mentioned above.

You can set it up so that each screen has it's own camera view but that eats your frames and the cameras are fixed at a right angle orientation with respect to each other (i.e. front, right and left views) which only works well for three very large screens in a three sided box arrangement.

Edited by cichlidfan

Got it. So, one camera is better since a single zoom command applies to all. If you have three cameras, I'm guessing that your zoom levels on the view are really hard to calibrate each time out.

Got it. So, one camera is better since a single zoom command applies to all. If you have three cameras, I'm guessing that your zoom levels on the view are really hard to calibrate each time out.

I actually have no idea how zoom works with the three camera setup. :doh:

I only played with it long enough to see what it looked like and I don't recall testing zoom.

The one camera view is really the only one that is practical due to how badly three cameras (three complete views into the sim) affects your frame rate, IMHO.

That is what it will look like when you fly, which is the distortion I mentioned above.

You can set it up so that each screen has it's own camera view but that eats your frames and the cameras are fixed at a right angle orientation with respect to each other (i.e. front, right and left views) which only works well for three very large screens in a three sided box arrangement.

you can change the FoV so the sides dont stretch as much, still main focus is the center screen, I use the sides to track left/right etc.

I dont like the zoom with 3 separate viewports.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 3 weeks later...

Can I hijack this thread to ask has anyone got a 50 inch tv @1080. As this seems quite an inexpensive way to upgrade without needing big fast multi gpu's to run same size @40k

Wondered how resolution looked spread over a big area ?

Many thanks for any advice

Cib

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cib, my 42" is certainly clear as crystal and i get great frames, if you have a 50 in the house hook it up and see. But i would gues that as you get bigger distortion may occur. But you never never know if you dont give it a go....

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE