Bug? Sabre flies almost perfectly with an elevator missing

chrisman01

Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/dSHQU

I had half my tail ripped off from a very lucky AA strike. Lo and behold, I was able to make it back to base with very little effort; the plane would roll a little, but it was like it had damaged wings from going too fast, not like it was missing an entire stabilizer.

Then I came in too fast and destroyed the nose gear. That was pilot error, however. :joystick:

Are there cases of Sabres being able to do this, or is this a bug?

I know F-15s could fly with damaged tails and wings, but they have much bigger surface areas and modern flight systems. I've never heard of a Sabre being this damaged and flying this well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you sure AA hit you? The elevator looks so perfectly nice and clean ripped off that you'd almost thinks its a visual error...

Intel i9 10850k | Noctua NH-U12A | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | Patriot Viper Steel 64gb @3600MT/s | ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | HP Reverb G2

Sounds about right to me. With your right stabilator missing the plane should roll a bit to the left when you pull back on the stick. Other than that the biggest thing you should notice is it being harder to increase pitch, especially at higher speeds.

From the shadows of war's past a demon of the air rises from the grave.

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"

Mar: The craft pitched like it had both elevators

Koek: They definitely hit me, I saw the tracer and heard the hit. I don't think they've modeled the visual damage yet; there isn't even an indication there *was* a stabilizer there, it's like it was just deleted from the model

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mar: The craft pitched like it had both elevators

Cool, maybe I should have my crew chief hack off one of my stabilators. Less drag. :)

I'm sure that this will be corrected.

It's a bug, but to what extent is it? I mean, we all know of the F-15 that came back with one wing. The A-10C that the pilot didn't even notice her engine was missing. Just because you lose something off the aircraft doesn't mean it's bound to crash. It's very likely, yes, but not always. I had both of my elevators gone but was able to belly land her. Here's an old thing to remember. If you have your choice to lose everything but one control on the aircraft(Rudder, Ailerons, Elevator) which would you keep? The answer is the rudder. Power controls pitch, rudder controls YAW and roll. Think about it.

You lost both stabilators? As in, they were completely gone?

You should have been flipping around like a feather in the wind.

In SP, top of the mission list selection, I had the left horizontal tail stabilizer come off by AAA flying too low and not evasive enough. I was strafing ground targets at the enemy airfield.

I flew OK back to Batumi until I slowed down, full flaps for landing and pitched too high deploying flaps and stalled it, spinning left and unrecoverable, I ejected.

Looks to be a modeled possible damage occurrence under the right conditions. I got it, you got it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/dSHQU

I had half my tail ripped off from a very lucky AA strike. Lo and behold, I was able to make it back to base with very little effort; the plane would roll a little, but it was like it had damaged wings from going too fast, not like it was missing an entire stabilizer.

Then I came in too fast and destroyed the nose gear. That was pilot error, however. :joystick:

Are there cases of Sabres being able to do this, or is this a bug?

I know F-15s could fly with damaged tails and wings, but they have much bigger surface areas and modern flight systems. I've never heard of a Sabre being this damaged and flying this well.

Here is a documented case:

Sabrestab2_zpscdfe2e9e.jpg

priceless :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

(re: Message 9)

124 flight hours were on the airframe.

It is possible to have micro-cracks not visible by visual inspection that can cause a catastrophic failure, given the right (or wrong) conditions.

Aluminum alloys were in their infancy, then.

I worked in a machine shop producing automatic control valves for various applications using various materials; a lot of stainless steels and exotics. Some contracts mandated x-ray inspection of weld joints or repair. That was in the 1970's.

Wonder what QC techniques were being used in the 1940's and 50's?

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]