engine won't start

Vinny002

Hi, guys!

Here is the track about the P-51 engine won't start. Please see attached. I don't know how to attach the .trk file attachment onto this forum. When I try to upload the .trk file I got a upload error message saying invalid file. What now? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Does it start when you do the startup tutorial mission? Just follow every step and make sure you hold the switch to the left of the starter for a few seconds after you do the primer.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Hi, Sceptre!

No, I wasn't in the startup tutorial. The left of the starter is oil dilute switch. Thanks! I'll try the oil dilute switch to the left of the starter switch for a few seconds after I prime the engine and let see what happens!

Cheers,

Vincent

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

If it still does not work (which it didn't do for me btw) try the following:

Don't know why this is, but I figured out how to start mine anyways. So I got the TF-51d FTP-version with DCS world, and when I follow up the startup instructions (closely) I still ended up burning the starter instead of getting the engine running.

After some time of fumbling around random switches, this got me started:

It turns out there's some sort of a bug that turns the TF-51d into a "museum-piece" that you're trying to start again. The engine is stubborn and prone to fail! Fight it! So you set the battery + gen to ON. Then you select CARB levers full forward. Set the propellor underneath the throttle to full. Set the throttle a bit deeper than an inch or so. Oil dilute is not needed. Select the right fuel tank, and turn on the fuel pump. Immediately thereafter open the fuel cuttof lever (red knob) to the upward position, so the pump can "slurp in the fuel" (yes I know this is a programmed P51, but still! Slurp Slurp). Prime the engine for a good 5-8 secs. Magneto to "L" for left magneto's.

Then get ready. It's a battle I don't always win, and when it takes too long, and the starter burns up, it's over. Your best bet then is to switch TF-51's. So open up the cover on the starter switch, click and hold it. Then immediately after that right click the mixture, this sets it to run. Right-click it again to full rich (emergency), and then set it back to cutoff. Play with this lever like you play with your willy! :joystick: No seriously, you gotta fool around with the lever and see what the engine does. If it starts sputtering, it's a good sign, then you leave the handle and give it some throttle. Mostly switching between cutoff and run gives the best results, but it's a matter of feeling what the engine does really. Don't forget the parking brake though. You wouldn't be the first to give throttle, notice that you're rolling quite fast, hit the brake and then pit the nose, raping your engine after it finally started up! :doh:

Hope it helps!

I'm pretty sure you normally use both magnetos to start.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers