AIM9B/GAR8

IvanK

The AIM9B/GAR8 should be very sensitive to IR from the sun. At present you don't get any change in IR tone if you drag the missile through the sun.Real World the AIM9B tone would go berserk if you got it anywhere near the sun. Once you had done this the seeker head would be useless for 5mins or more and the seeker could be damaged. A rule of thumb was never to take an AIM9B within 25 degrees of the sun.

Pre fight it was SOP for a groundie to flash a standard Torch/flashlight near the seeker head to check for tone. If you heard the tone you were good to go. the AIM9B seeker head was very primitive and could easily be lured away by sun reflection on the water terrain etc or even clouds.

EXCESS G LIGHT

This is working at 3G it should be set to 1.9G (Source CAC27/32 Sabre Flight Manual).

The AIM9B had a seeker head launch limit of +2G called a Lambda limit. If you launched with more than 2G the seeker head tracking rate would be exceeded by the targets crossing rate.... again ballistic missile.

The AIM9B/GAR8 should be very sensitive to IR from the sun. At present you don't get any change in IR tone if you drag the missile through the sun.Real World the AIM9B tone would go berserk if you got it anywhere near the sun. Once you had done this the seeker head would be useless for 5mins or more and the seeker could be damaged. A rule of thumb was never to take an AIM9B within 25 degrees of the sun.

Pre fight it was SOP for a groundie to flash a standard Torch/flashlight near the seeker head to check for tone. If you heard the tone you were good to go. the AIM9B seeker head was very primitive and could easily be lured away by sun reflection on the water terrain etc or even clouds.

EXCESS G LIGHT

This is working at 3G it should be set to 1.9G (Source CAC27/32 Sabre Flight Manual).

The AIM9B had a seeker head launch limit of +2G called a Lambda limit. If you launched with more than 2G the seeker head tracking rate would be exceeded by the targets crossing rate.... again ballistic missile.

Sounds like the USS Forestall ship fire incident during Viet Nam. Something sure triggered the infrared missile to launch off its rails on deck.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds like the USS Forestall ship fire incident during Viet Nam. Something sure triggered the infrared missile to launch off its rails on deck.

Ex-Navy here.

The Forrestal fire was the result of an F-4, switching from ground power to internal power, inadvertently launching a 5 inch rocket across the fantail and into an A-4's external fuel tank. The resulting hell was unleashed when burning fuel began heating the nearby outdated iron bombs which quickly cooked off, obliterating the port stern.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

• ED Team

I wasn't paying attention to any change in tone when dragging the GAR-8 seeker across the sun, but when I launched a missile on a MiG-15 within about 5-10 degrees of the sun in azimuth, the GAR-8 sure enough made a beeline for the big orange ball.

:doh: I knew better than that...

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Isn`t there also a finite limit to how long the GARS can be selected before

they run out of coolant or did the early seekers not require cooling ?.

No Cooling on the AIM9B/GAR8.

Min Range dead 6 O'clock co speed 0 Angle off was around 3000ft. Will post some envelope data later today.

Aim9B/GAR8 Fire zone info 1G Rules of thumb:

Envdisp1_zps842d0592.jpg

Ranges in metres, m=metres

Envdisp2_zpsaf589c13.jpg

-----------------------------

Manoeuvring Fire zones, Ranges in feet :

The "Lambda" symbol represents a seeker head Look angle/tracking rate limit boundary.

Aim9B_env1_zps7ac66461.jpg

Aim9B_env2_zps7da99ef5.jpg

Aim9B_env3_zps34c024d7.jpg

Edited by IvanK

Similar situation with R-3S (AIM-9B copy). Seems to be all-aspect, has launch range 3km (i think it should be 1.5km), quite resistant against flares etc

It should be rear aspect only as early heatseekers were only rear aspect.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
I've never thought of using the sun as a countermeasure ! It's one hell of a flare. I wonder if this effects the modern missiles in real life and in the DCS world?

Modern missiles' heat seekers are much more sophisticated than the crude seeker of the AIM-9B and other early missiles, and they will normally discriminate between the sun and their target. Performance might be slightly less, but I think globally the sun will have little to no effect on guidance.

And the new generation with imaging infra-red (AIM-9X) will make missiles even less prone to the various contermeasures (incl. flares, IRCM and the sun).

That's how I understand it.