In need of a little clarification on navigation?

Raven Morpheus

Hello

Just recently I've been learning to use the ADF and other nav instruments in the UH-1H, usually I navigate via the kneeboard, using the mark position function.

However I'm a little lost when it comes to setting the navigation instruments up in the game.

I'll use the Stray Eagle mission as an example. Stray Eagle is given as 40.50, Colt1 is listed as 116, and FARP Dallas is 116, and there is an NDB on 353.

I can set the 40.50 for Stray Eagle on the ADF dial and the FM dials, no problems there.

I'm clear on setting both 116mhz and 353mhz on the ADF dial, although setting 116mhz on the ADF points to Colt1, not FARP Dallas. I don't however have any idea of how to set home plate using either the FM, VHF or Nav-Comm panels.

So, please could someone clarify what I should do using the Stray Eagle mission as an example to set the navigation instruments (apart from ADF which is the simplest instrument it seems) to point to home plate?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

I think you would either,

contact farp and request heading or tune your ADF to 353 which IIRC is the NDB for Kutasai where the farp is located

40.50 will be FM

116 i would guess as frequency on the AM for ATC

I would need time to revisit the mission to be sure

While the kneeboard is a useful function it is also far from realism. Personally I prefer VFR to check landmarks enroute and compass/adf as primary way to get to destination

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While the kneeboard is a useful function it is also far from realism. Personally I prefer VFR to check landmarks enroute and compass/adf as primary way to get to destination

Yes this is why I'm trying to get away from using the kneeboard. Just need to work out how to use the relevant radios. As stated I can use ADF fine, that's an easy one, FM I can use for frequencies it will accept, like 40.50, and again that's a fairy easy one to set and look at the corresponding output on the dash, but I am lost when it comes to using Nav-comm, VHF, and UHF!?

Edited by Raven Morpheus

Only 3 types of navigation systems

1 ADF

2 FM/PLB's

3 Nav-comm

This is from manual

The Navigation Receiver set provides reception on 200 channels, with 50 kHz spacing between 108.0 and 126.95 MHz. This permits reception of the VHF omnidirectional range (VOR) between 108.0 and 117.95 MHz. The Vocalizers are received on odd-tenth MHz, between 108.0 and 112.0 MHz and energized as selected. Both VOR and localizer are received aurally through the interphone system. The VOR is presented visually by the course indicator and the number 2 pointer on the bearing indicator and the localizer is presented visually by the vertical needle on the CDI. When the R-1963/ARN Glideslope/Marker Beacon Receiver is installed, the glideslope frequency is selected by tuning an associated localizer frequency on the control panel.

So use this to tune to VOR transmission and ADF for NDB's and your FM radio for Pilot locator beacons

You will probably need this too

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/588673/

Edited by Cibit

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, I came across the list of frequencies last night. Very handy. As for the rest, well I tried VOR again last night after watching the video tutorial again for about the nth time and I did it exactly where the guy who made the video did it, off the coast of Batumi, and it kind of worked for me.

ADF and FM I'm clear on . I guess it's just Nav-comm (I presume the UHF is for communicating with the ATC and other units then?). It seems to me that the NAV comm is not so much a homing device as the FM or ADF is and that to get anywhere close so that I can use VOR I need to locate the general area of the NDB via ADF.

I also swear that some NDB frequencies do not point you in the right direction because last night I was doing mission 4 of the UH-1H campaign, the one where you have to pick up the wounded guy then fly half way across Georgia rather than take the shorter route back to base!! After you drop the guy off the co-pilot says to RTB and put in an ADF frequency of 477. So I did that, or thought I did that given that it's not easy to distinguish increments between the marks on the ADF dial.

However, all the time on the way back the frequency of 477 was leading me totally off course, in a north westerly bearing rather than towards Kutaisi airport and FARP Madrid. I tried adjusting the ADF several times and no matter where I tuned to around what I assumed is the 460 mark the compass still kept me going away from where the NDB is at a slight north westerly angle.

It was lucky that I was keeping an eye on my direction via the kneeboard otherwise I'd have flown up north west away from Kutaisi and run out of fuel!!

Generally speaking the radio systems in the UH-1h are

UHF for talking to other airborne units.

AM for ATC

FM for Ground call signs Also can be used as a radio direction finder for FM broadcasts. Lost pilots etc fitted with personal locator beacons.

The ADF your familiar with. I recall a thread in the bug section about the campaign mission.

IMO you are aware of the general heading to the NDB your tuning to. So fly in that direction until you pick up the transmission. They should be identifiable with the morse signature

AFAIK VOR signals are only detected on the NavComm

Time limits my reply but any more questions I will help as best as I can:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Here is a video I made that goes into detail on every navigation system in the huey. Hope you find it useful and pass it along!

Very useful vid, thanks. Around 17:10 you apparently drift right from the course, but the needle swings also to the right. Shouldn't the CDI needle show which direction to fly to come back on the preset course (radial)?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

I resume since I'm buying NTTR map with summer sales and I'd like to know how to navigate in this map with the huey. As I have noticed, all the runways have tacan frequencies, but uh-1h does not use tacan but ADF and VOR. Where can I find a chart - ready to be put in my kneeboard if possible - with all the default nav aids of NTTR map?

Someone has made it I'm sure. But if you find a VORTAC and know its TACAN channel then you can look up its VOR frequency as well. There is a rule of thumb you can memorize.

http://www.e-haf.org/PublicFTP/320/UPLOAD_FOLDER/Charts/VOR%20Frequencies%20to%20TACAN%20Channel%20list.pdf

Example you find VORTAC 83X, you know to tune VOR 113.7.

There is another trick that if you find a TACAN and your airplane has VOR-DME equipment then you can get DME from TACAN by inputting the VOR paired frequency for that TACAN channel. This will tune the DME equipment to work with the TACAN station.