Simulation of Speed

Device6

I have found the same issues in many flight simulation games except perhaps H.A.W.X. or Ace Combat series.

While everything from aircraft, cockpit, flight model, weapons and even scenery are all nicely made down to the very last details, speed seems to be exceptionally simulated. When I was flying the Su-25T and Su-33, I don't find much difference when I was doing a low level flying at a speed in excess of 500 knots of the Su-33 compared to Su-25T at 350 knots. Why is that so?

Edited by Device6

I have found the same issues in many flight simulation games except perhaps H.A.W.K. or Ace Combat series.

While everything from aircraft, cockpit, flight model, weapons and even scenery are all nicely made down to the very last details, speed seems to be exceptionally simulated. When I was flying the Su-25T and Su-33, I don't find much difference when I was doing a low level flying at a speed in excess of 500 knots of the Su-33 compared to Su-25T at 350 knots. Why is that so?

Lack of peripheral vision. While in RL you have a field of view of about 180° you are looking through a narrow window (your monitor) in DCS - with a FOV of 70...120°. The sensation of speed is much lesser when watching objects in front of you than when you see them passing by left or right of you. The angular velocity differs greatly.

Maybe it's like in the movie the Aviator where they say there needs to be more clouds. Maybe it needs lots and lots' of small clouds and wisps, probably all semi transparent.

X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick

Wider FOV and kind-of peripheral vision with 3 monitors may give a better sense of speed, don't know since I only have one :P.

But when you bring HAWX or Ace Combat in discussion, sense of speed in those would most likely be because things made faster than they should be, to give an exaggerated sense of speed.

When I am really low in DCS, especially on cities or airfields, it does feel damn fast alright, even in Ka-50.

We tend to fly high normally, and you don' really feel fast up high, well when around a lot of small clouds may be they'll give a sense of speed but that would be it. When I am traveling with planes I would almost always prefer windows side and watch outside, and even though the plane is moving 800-900 km/h, even more at times, which is pretty darn fast. But it never feels fast at all until descent for landing starts we get down low where there are land features to make this speed more pronounced for visual sense.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I am thinking using Time Acceleration feature, but is that 'real' say 2X?

I have just discovered a video of a MiG-21 taking off, it is even faster than FC2 Su-33 or MiG-29!?

Also

and

sub-sonic

Edited by Device6

I have just discovered a video of a MiG-21 taking off, it is even faster than FC2 Su-33 or MiG-29!?

Also

MiG in that first video is using JATO pods... That would be why.

Higher ground detail that will come with EDGE and maps like the NTTR should help improve the sensation of speed.

I'm hoping this is the case also. I have always wished for more sense of speed in flight sims, I don't think many (any?) have got it right yet. even when compared to watching real life videos on the same single screen.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I wouldn't do that. Well, except maybe just for the fun of it. But you have to consider, not only the perceived sensation of speed would be increased, but also everything else. The enemies, their maneuvering, their reaction time, etc. Only your own reaction time would still be "normal" which will put you into a big disadvantage.

This one also shows some real sense of speed

That was shot with wide angle camera, which has large FOV and crunches more visible stuff into a frame. Same effect (better sense of speed) can be achieved in game by increasing FOV (zooming out).

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

You will not feel the speed until you have to move through some "obstacles".

Try low level flight through a city like Tbilisi for example.

It's still not the same like in RL but it get's a lot more hectic when you see buildings getting near you.

For example trying to stay above a road in city at full speed. :)

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Or with Oculus Rift.

Sense of speed is also subjective. Landing with a damaged P-51 is never felt slow... Unless stalling it just above runway. Then you feel you were slow but also feel you will die fast. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I'm hoping this is the case also. I have always wished for more sense of speed in flight sims, I don't think many (any?) have got it right yet. even when compared to watching real life videos on the same single screen.

Python,

After weeks of research, I've finally found what we have been hoping for. It's Aerofly

Despite the speed is over-exaggerated, but the plane does fly speedily!! At least, it shows that is possible to implement:thumbup:

Python,

After weeks of research, I've finally found what we have been hoping for. It's Aerofly

Despite the speed is over-exaggerated, but the plane does fly speedily!! At least, it shows that is possible to implement:thumbup:

???

He flies with 900 knots. Even on a computer screen this "looks fast".

There is no "magic bullet". We are restricted by the devices we use. Things can not move faster than they look that they move - or vice versa. Either they do or they do not.

Python,

wow that is some sick scenery

ed plz implement ..lol