42 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite century series aircraft

• North American F-100 Super Sabre
    • McDonnell F-101 Voodoo
    • Convair F-102 Delta Dagger
    • Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
    • Republic F-105 Thunderchief
    • Convair F-106 Delta Dart

F102/F106 Delta Dagger/Dart (As they are so closely related, I've no particular preference).

More than any other Century series, they (visually) epitomize the new ground being broken during that whole era in military aviation design, being like pretty much nothing else up to that point. The dramatic delta wings and sharp tail, the distinctive angular canopy, the nuclear tipped armament, etc....

Yes they were built for fairly specific roles, no they weren't an unqualified success, but they were exciting advancements and probably the most exciting (for me) fighters in that series.

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

arghhhhh!

100 *and* 105!!

--

edit : if I have to pick, I'm going to go with the 105 - I "believe" it was more influential in Vietnam..

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am notoriously bad at "just picking one" so here it goes : 102,104,106, with some vested interest in 100 as well.

Actually I am not a big fan of century series, but find them interesting nevertheless. 102 and 106 for looking sleek and being last pure interceptors (instead of air superiority fighters) from USA. 104, it's an interesting plane, can't decide to either dislike or like it :D should be interesting even if only for unique tiny surface wings flying experience.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

You missed the F-111 from that list

You would think the F-110 would be popular as well. The Century series planes are the aircraft in the voting selection. I suppose it ended because of the F-107A as that was just a redesigned F-100. I voted F-105... a D or a G please.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Why so limited a choice? What about some less American examples? Hunter, Lightning, Canberra, Javelin, TSR2, Mirage, Fiat GR1, Saab Viggen all spring immediately to mind, a number of them equally iconic, and some with far better performance figures and service histories.

Why so limited a choice? What about some less American examples? Hunter, Lightning, Canberra, Javelin, TSR2, Mirage, Fiat GR1, Saab Viggen all spring immediately to mind, a number of them equally iconic, and some with far better performance figures and service histories.

You may want to check the definition of "century series", per wikipedia:

"The Century Series is a popular name for a group of US fighter aircraft representing models designated between F-100 and F-106 which went into full production."

Yeah, given the choice, I might have preferred a Mirage or SAAB myself but... point is, they're NOT century series aircraft :)

And as far as I know, century series aircraft = century series US aircraft. It simply is a name for USA built fighters in F-1XX range (obviously some digits goes in place of XX there :) ).

I for one, am looking forward to Team VRC's F-100 Super Sabre.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script