Extreme Cold Startup

RNeves

Hi everyone!!

I was just spending my time waiting for the Dora to get released and it occured to me to try and recreate the eastern front conditions on the map.

So i put like -50ºC, tried to start the mustang, and guess what?

It didn't start at all. I tried to dilute the oil for many minutes, but could not start the engine anyway!!

Anyone knows what to do to start it on similar conditions??

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

Oil dilution is something you would have to be perform before shutting the engine down, in order to make it easier to start the next time. You can't dilute the oil while (a) the engine is not running, (b) it's already Jell-O ;)

I don't know if there's a way to set a mission parameter to "oil diluted" before starting the mission.

Oil dilution is something you would have to be perform before shutting the engine down, in order to make it easier to start the next time. You can't dilute the oil while (a) the engine is not running, (b) it's already Jell-O ;)

I don't know if there's a way to set a mission parameter to "oil diluted" before starting the mission.

I read somewhere that as there is no "pre-diluiton" function, they made it possible to dilute the oil with the engine stopped, i think...

And if you check, if you try and start the engine witout diluting, the propeller spins much slower than if you have diluted it with the engine stopped, and the starter lasts much longer.

The problem is that no matter how much you use the starter, the engine doesn't catch...

This is something that should be sorted out, because AFAIK, the ressuan air force flew the P51 (despite the fact they keep diminishing the fact that western countries loaned them war material an a certain point of the war), and if the P51 flew on the eastern front, it must have encountered conditions like this....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

Hi,

:dunno: Good question - simulated to -??°C ?

There is no Ground Crew Option for "Engine Pre Heat"

F-51D Mustang Flight Handbook ( from 1954 ! )

Page 90 ff. Cold-Weather-Procedures

Outside Air Temperature ---> Engine Pre Heating

Above -18°C ---> 0 minutes

-46° to -51°C ---> 60 minutes

http://1.airwar.z8.ru/transfer/manual/%5Baviation%5D%20-%20%5Bmanuals%5D%20-%20F-51D%20Mustang%20Flight%20Handbook.pdf

What about adding a new option for the gound crew, like "pre-heating cart" or something??

Would be nice to have it, since more WW II warbirds ar incoming....

:smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't expect Russian WWII winter map coming to DCS anytime soon, and even If there was one, it wouldn't be realistic to set temps so low. Sure, European part of Russia is quite cold in winter every now and then, but not Arctic cold :D. For example, lowest temp ever recorded in Moscow was somewhere around -40 C if I recall and that was exception rather than the rule. I'd presume something closer to -30 would be more plausible if we wanted to simulate harsh winter scenarios.

I like the idea of pre-heat by ground crew though.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Of course that i was adding some extra challenge by lowering the temperatures that much!!

I don't think that the coolant could remain liquid at -50ºC, for example...

The thing is, yesterday i took 3 stiches on my right hand after an accident at work, and i can't close it, so i can't grab the joystick...

The only thing i can do is start the plane, so, here's why i'm trying such silly things...

:megalol:

But about the Pre-heat cart on the ground crew menu, i think it would not be difficult to implement, and certainly will be welcome!!

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]