How to Fly the Dora

Yo-Yo

NO I find the 109 way way easier now to take off, but don't why the 109 does shudder @low speed and goes crazy.

I will try to take off now.

The easiest is the Tf-51

when I first used DCS World, the p51d was my entry model, and I really had a bad time taking off with it too :-)

The TF51, not having any armament is the lightest of the prop aircraft in DCS.

If you are able to takeoff in the 109, then you really should be able to master takeoffs in the 190 ? Are you sure you're not using takeoff assist with it ?

I also noticed, at one of the servers I tried last week, that they forced takeoff assist ??? During the taxi in my Fw190 I noticed the rudder was not in sync with my use of it, and kept making small adjustments even if I had it centered... I then tried with the 109, and the same happened... Strange...

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Threads & styles on this for both takeoff & landing. There should be the Dora or Kurtfurst are the trickiest by a country mile in the whole game

Hints that helped me bigtime for TAKEOFF

Turn off the Assits under Special in the Settings

Stick 2/3 rd back and slightly to the right, NOT all the way back to the stop. (if you have it positioned correct you can lift off from that position and not crash)

1/3 right rudder & as you throttle up eyes pinned to the turn indicator endeavoring to hold it straight, try not to let it get more than 1/4 off center in either direction. Some stab at the rudders, I prefer for takeoff smooth continuous input adding or subtracting as required.

I gun the throttle to the firewall, smoothly, some don't and swear it makes it worse, but WOT (wide open throttle) works great for me.

As already said around 120-140kph release the stick to center and reduce right rudder input. Hold it there and she flies herself off, sometimes with the odd skip first, but quite controllable

Many Threads & styles on this for both takeoff & landing. There should be the Dora or Kurtfurst are the trickiest by a country mile in the whole game

Hints that helped me bigtime for TAKEOFF

Turn off the Assits under Special in the Settings

Stick 2/3 rd back and slightly to the right, NOT all the way back to the stop. (if you have it positioned correct you can lift off from that position and not crash)

1/3 right rudder & as you throttle up eyes pinned to the turn indicator endeavoring to hold it straight, try not to let it get more than 1/4 off center in either direction. Some stab at the rudders, I prefer for takeoff smooth continuous input adding or subtracting as required.

I gun the throttle to the firewall, smoothly, some don't and swear it makes it worse, but WOT (wide open throttle) works great for me.

As already said around 120-140kph release the stick to center and reduce right rudder input. Hold it there and she flies herself off, sometimes with the odd skip first, but quite controllable

This sounds good will try asap when home form work. But the aircrafts are too wobbly don't know why

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

They're wobbly mostly at high power settings and low speed / high AoA due to prop effects.

Overall there is a specific modeling of p-factor in DCS prop aircraft that makes them feel a bit different from the experience I have with other simulator I use.

They're wobbly mostly at high power settings and low speed / high AoA due to prop effects.

Overall there is a specific modeling of p-factor in DCS prop aircraft that makes them feel a bit different from the experience I have with other simulator I use.

Yes they are very different from the other sims.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

Yes they are very different from the other sims.

In the first module I owned for DCS, the p51d, I have always found it a bit unexpected to experience that wobbling ( almost like the sensation of being in dutch roll ) that can be experienced when we takeoff.

At high power settings, and even more if flaps are being used, the nose of the aircraft wobbles around visibly. As speed gains, it stabilizes and actually becomes a rather stable platform ( until we enter dogfight, and start pulling too much on the stick :-) ) ...

The same happens with the Dora.

For me the Bf 109 K4 is probably the one that wobbles the less under such circumstances...

Welcome to the German engineering :P German single engine fighters have only the horizontal stabilizer trim. Everything else is manual. The 190 is not realy a good turn fighter. Your advantages are:

-roll rate

-speed at low altitude

-climb rate

-firepower

-high speed instantaneous turn

Dora is great against P51 in normal combat. In duels though, it shouldn't be turned to fight the P51. Here, as in any other sim, the Fw190 can't turn with the P51 at lower speeds. Get separation, climb above him, push him down (bleed his energy) and then B&Z him to death.

If he is behind you, run. If he is close behind use scissors, as your roll rate will just dominate him. Done.

Secondly, the Fw190 "is shaky" and that is a good thing. It gives you more warning that you are closing to a stall, the P51 you are most likely to stall without even knowing something is wrong. The buffeting is a good thing, that lets the pilot know he is pushing the plane too hard. When the plane buffets, just loosen the stick a bit.

PS. You don't need rudder pedals, I don't even use them, just set good curves.

Thanks for the tips :). I still have a long way to go to fly this thing well. I am trying to BnZ but I find my aim is awful at high speeds and I frequently manoeuvre too hard, lose energy, and throw away whatever advantage I had. The shakiness is a useful warning, yes, but it doesn't feel like it takes a very hard turn at all to upset the aircraft. It doesn't help that I seem to pull on the stick harder as I get frustrated in a fight, leading to more and more shaking! That will all just need a bit more practice.

If nothing else, this plane makes me appreciate the significance of fly-by-wire technology. Dogfighting in an F16 is a piece of cake in comparison...

Remember Take Off Flaps of course.

If none of that helps & it might not its just what works for me

Then this posted up by Little_D is another approach, which I think is a very professional video. Go to You Tube itself and view it in cinema mode at 1080, for the best view

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSL0C3vZ308&spfreload=10[/ame]

I guess you've read through the extensive threads on Taking off and Landing the Dora.

Don't loose faith I crashed Germany's entire production run in taking off and landing accidents and still don't get it down every time without damage if carrying a heavy fuel load

Edited by Weegie
Problem with link
  • Like 1

Takes a bit to get yourself familiar with the inputs, its not easy and IMHO it takes a lot of practice. Advice helps but there is no magic bullet,

Try throttling up slowly and doing some fast taxi runs.

You can always fly it off at 1/2 speed too in order to get a feel for what's happening

My rudder is at 12, if I can correctly recall...

1) Stick back, full or 2/3rds

2) Rudder right

3) Advance the throttle, first up to 1,3 ATA (count to 6 ), gain speed, then 1,5 ATA ( not more ).

4) Start easing on the stick, towards neutral, and then ease the rudder as well to avoid over-correcting ( tye 190 D-9 doesn't need that much rudder on the takeoff roll, compared to the 109 K-4... ).

5) As soon as you get airborne, try to maintain a straight path and gain altitude. Use the trim to ease the force on your stick, avoid pulling the stick and entering stall... Retract the Gear when possible...

6) When the aircraft starts "feeling" stable, retract the flaps and adjust throttle and trim for the climb out...

Edited by jcomm

My rudder is at 12, if I can correctly recall...

1) Stick back, full or 2/3rds

2) Rudder right

3) Advance the throttle, first up to 1,3 ATA (count to 6 ), gain speed, then 1,5 ATA ( not more ).

4) Start easing on the stick, towards neutral, and on then rudder to avoid over-correcting ( tye 190 D-9 doesn't need that much rudder on the takeoff roll, compared to the 109 K-4... ).

5) As soon as you get airborne, try to maintain a straight path and gain altitude. Use the trim to ease the force on your stick, avoid pulling the stick and entering stall... Retract the Gear when possible...

6) When the aircraft starts "feeling" stable, retract the flaps and adjust throttle and trim for the climb out...

Will try it once back @home

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

Had some good take offs but more practice needed.

Feels very good on the rudder when in a turn. Didn't need to apply the rudder as the ball was centered, great when I go full power in a climbing turn.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

Had some good take offs but more practice needed.

Feels very good on the rudder when in a turn. Didn't need to apply the rudder as the ball was centered, great when I go full power in a climbing turn.

Yes it's pretty much feet-on-floor.

Each time I fly that aircraft in DCS Eric's words come to my mind - it's, my preferred aircraft ( and I only use the ww2 modules ).

Edited by jcomm

Yes it's pretty much feet-on-floor.

Each time I fly that aircraft in DCS Eric's words come to my mind - it's, my preferred aircraft ( and I only use the ww2 modules ).

Who is Eric ? Do you mean Eric Clapton ? But he is a rock and blues musician.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

Who is Eric ? Do you mean Eric Clapton ? But he is a rock and blues musician.

Ehehe, Eric Brunotte :-) ww2 Ace who flew the Dora, among other...

Somewhere here at the forums there's a link to a youtube video of an interview where he speaks about flying the 190 and the 109...

A nice thread to read here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=128072&highlight=eric+brown+interview

Edited by jcomm

Ehehe, Eric Brown :-) ww2 Ace who flew the Dora, among other...

Somewhere here at the forums there's a link to a youtube video of an interview where he speaks about flying the 190 and the 109...

A nice thread to read here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=128072&highlight=eric+brown+interview

Haha and I thought it was the other Eric. Will check that video thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC