Product page grammar.

Sabredog

I am reading through the product page on the DCS website and noticed lots of grammatical errors. As a native English speaker, it seems to be written by someone for whom English is a second language. I would be happy to go through and correct it as a favour to Belsimtek. Due to the quality of the product I feel the product page should be of the same high standard!

This is not intended to be an insult to whoever wrote the product page. It is simply an issue of word order. For example:

"The sign of upcoming stall may be developing" should be "The sign that a stall may be about to develop".

Please let me know if you require any assistance in this matter.

• Like 2

Are you sure your English is up to the task? I am reading through the product page is grammatically incorrect too, because you were actually typing in the forum. Should you not have said something along the lines of "Having read through the DCS website page referring to the F-86F, I noticed a lot of grammatical errors"?

Leave the correction of English to those who can actually write correctly!

• Like 1

Now, some people have grasped the art of doing two things in parallel. With modern technology, you can even have one browser tab open for reading while you are writing posts to these fora in another tab. It's pretty amazing once you get the hang of it - you should try it! Once these skills have been mastered, it can be reflected in one's writing.

Another example could be "I am reading a book, and have found something which puzzles me". While it is obvious that the person writing is not reading the book at the exact moment of writing - as he or she is, indeed, writing rather than reading - only a true anal retentive would have a problem with the statement.

Then there's the issue of quotations, and the special symbols which can be used to distinguish between your own words and a quote from another person's writing. Without them, it can become a tad confusing. I think that's a bit advanced for today's lesson though!

Or, to put it another way: "For f***s sake..."

:pilotfly:

I am reading through the product page is grammatically incorrect too

Leave the correction of English to those who can actually write correctly!

Look at the first line, lol. Your English is a little of as well. I think you are actually missing a word or two. The guy was trying to help.

• Like 1

Communication is Key

When someone offers his or her help to improve grammar in a text, why is it that the first thing people do is to point out the apparent irony that they have found?

Thanks Sabredog for offering your help...

Indeed. +rep and -rep assigned as apropriate. :)

There is absolutely nothing amiss with my grammar, and despite having as many pages as you wish on the screen, I still maintain that there is absolutely no possibility of doing both things at the same time. Therefore, my statement was both grammatically, and figuratively correct.

"I am reading a book, and have found something which puzzles me" is correct grammar, as it is all written in the same tense.

"I am reading through the product page on the DCS website and noticed lots of grammatical errors." Is incorrect also because it is written in two tenses, present, and past. If he had written "I am reading a book, and I notice lots of grammatical errors", it would be grammatically correct.

As for the guy trying to help. That's all well and good, as long as the help he is offering to provide is actually something he has some expertise in. I'm not suggesting he is not making a worthwhile offer, merely that he needs to ensure he is not simply changing one set of grammatical errors for another.

So, when you have all finished making nonsensical statements, I shall restate that my contribution was both correctly written, and valid. So, when you have all finished adding your "twopenneth", shall we get back to the original problem?

The grammar in the postings is still incorrect, and if they wish to ask for someone to correct them, then they should approach someone whom they can rely on to make the corrections. I don't need to rely on you, or anyone to establish a reputation here. Your views are irrelevant in this case as you failed to make your point, and I still stand by my own.

Edited by NeilWillis

"reading" vs "have found" ... same tense? :huh:

And how excactly does that differ from "reading" vs "noticed"?

Not (really) trying to chime in into the bashing here, but rather a somewhat genuine question - as I am not a native speaker and also grammar isn't really my strongest side (even in my native language ;o)

"reading" vs "have found" ... same tense? :huh:

And how excactly does that differ from "reading" vs "noticed"?

Not (really) trying to chime in into the bashing here, but rather a somewhat genuine question - as I am not a native speaker and also grammar isn't really my strongest side (even in my native language ;o)

Reading and notice, or read and noticed. Hardly a complex concept is it?

• Like 1

There is absolutely nothing amiss with my grammar,

"I am reading through the product page on the DCS website and noticed lots of grammatical errors." Is incorrect also

I do agree that you do not seem to need any help to build a reputation around here. :thumbup:

The issue here Neil, is that you're being pedantic. I'm not saying that the product page needs to be in the Queens English, just tweaked slightly to read less like a google translation. Nobody here doubts your superior grasp of the English language, but that doesn't mean that statements like "I don't need to rely on you, or anyone to establish a reputation here. Your views are irrelevant" don't still make you look like a douchebag.

How is it being pedantic to suggest your criticism of their grammar was also grammatically incorrect?

He attacked my reputation, so I responded. I still stand by the facts here. I am not knocking you for offering to help, but I am suggesting that if you do help out, you do so using correct grammar. I have no qualms about dismissing his contribution, because it was both inaccurate, and unwarranted.

As for the absurd name calling - really?

Pedantic - adjective

excessively concerned with minor details or rules; overscrupulous.

"I am reading through the product page is grammatically incorrect too, because you were actually typing in the forum"

If you're not a pedant, you're at least a bad comedian...

• Like 1

IB4 lock ...

Reading and notice, or read and noticed. Hardly a complex concept is it?

But your positive example uses "reading" and "found" as verbs. To me, this does not look too differently from the negative example.

"I am reading a book, and have found something which puzzles me" is correct grammar, as it is all written in the same tense.

Pedantic - adjective

excessively concerned with minor details or rules; overscrupulous.

"I am reading through the product page is grammatically incorrect too, because you were actually typing in the forum"

If you're not a pedant, you're at least a bad comedian...

So you think the grammar of your posting was a minor issue? Or would you not agree, that when throwing stones, one should not live in a glass house? My statement was NOT pedantic, it was very pertinent, and it remains so.

Actually, it isn't. Found is the past participle of find. "I am reading a book, and I am finding something which puzzles me" is all written the the same tense, but you wouldn't say that would you?

Nice use of an Oxford comma there too. Some people would argue that was incorrect grammar.

Then read it again. It is grammatically correct.

Ok, you are angry now, I get that. But I was only trying to understand what I was probably missing here. "reading" and "found", no matter how often I read it, I can not see them as being the same tense.

"I am reading this thread and I find it ridiculous."

"I read your posting and I found it not helpfull."

Whatever ...

Edited by Flagrum
gnah ... off, flying the Dora! :o)

I'm not angry in the slightest. But I cannot think of a way to explain how it is consistent to you. Let me just assure you that it is a perfectly adequate rendering of the statement he was trying to make.

However, it seems that the whole thread is descending into farce.

Reductio ad absurdum

• Like 1