How to Takeoff in the Dora

SimFreak

Had not been able to pull off even one successful takeoff in the DORA. Skipped to the end of this thread, watched iFoxRomeo's little video above, gave it a try and managed three takeoffs with no crashes. Landings.... well, let's just say I usually survive. The aircraft..... not so good.

S!

Very nice videos iFR. Just painfully shows I need new pedals with toe brakes :( CH ProPedals from 1997 do not cut it anymore :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D  Motherboard: ASUS TUF B550-Plus Memory: Kingston FuryX 64Gb GPU: AMD Radeon 6950XT 16Gb HDD: Samsung EVO SSD x 2 Monitor: Samsung 27" Flight gear: Virpil stick, MFG pedals OS: Windows 11 Pro

You need toe brakes indeed (even though I tend to take off without braking, but at least you badly need them for taxi). But do check whether they function properly: I had to invert the axis for the brakes on my X52 pedals.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

S!

Seems DCS is not the only sim with toe brake problems, having them inverted. Will propably go for Slaw's pedals with MFG CrossWind a good 2nd.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D  Motherboard: ASUS TUF B550-Plus Memory: Kingston FuryX 64Gb GPU: AMD Radeon 6950XT 16Gb HDD: Samsung EVO SSD x 2 Monitor: Samsung 27" Flight gear: Virpil stick, MFG pedals OS: Windows 11 Pro

I activated my Saitek Combat toe brakes while airborne in the Dora but forgot to invert. Not pretty when the wheels touched the runway with the brakes full on.... Oooops

As that saying goes... "The problem is not the speed, but rather the deceleration when you smash into something, or brake too intensively..." :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I just recently got the Dora and landings are still kind of a problem towards the last part of slowing down but take offs are no problem and never were apart from when I first tried the take off with the 500kg Bomb below, that went wrong a few times until I noticed " it needs more ATA to get off the ground and stabilize itself", done that and ola she flies.

I keep the tail locked until I pass 100kmh and keep the plane tracking with rudder and assist with aileron to avoid a tip over, once 100kmh are passed, I release the stick and by then she is so fast that she lifts off by itself once the stick is centered. If landing was that easy I would be happy but it seems to take some 50 more tries to get the feeling right and memorize the inputs needed.

Maybe I should do the tutorials or watch some YT...maybe :)

trial and error

Bit

***no rudder pedals and braking goes like this: RCTRL+W or LALT+W or simply W time to get some rudder pedals again, this time with toe brakes !!!

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Recently acquired the WW2 aircraft (in fact recently returned to flight sims after a long absence...)

Anyway - is there a difference in the FM between the canned tutorials and "free flight"...?

I can take off without too much drama in free flight, but haven't yet got up in the tutorials.

Same for landing. All goes wrong at the flare - sails back in the air or slaps down too hard. But I can land the Dora in free flight mode.

OTH, I had no probs with the Mustang - got up and down first time in the tutorials

• 2 weeks later...

Dora.. At first, we didn't get along during TOs...at all. I mean she was very wild and untamed, until one day, when I discovered that take-off assistance was turned ON. After I turned it OFF and got back to the cockpit, I was very surprised how gentle she was and how attentive to my inputs she got. From that point on, I can take off in any way I desire.. full throttle, medium throttle, flaps on or flaps off, tail wheel locked or unlocked and so on. One thing I must remember though.. she gets upset very quickly if I rush her in doing anything..

Now we're thinking to move on..to landings.. and that's another story..which WILL be legen.. wait for it..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I had same experiences with the Dora and K4, i was shocked how bad i was on take-off's until to point i was avoiding flying these warbirds online...

Until i was instructed by a friend to remove those take-off "assists" off, and all of sudden i can do perfect take-off rolls without the plane actually trying to kill me !

Talk about assists and how helpful they are, right :megalol:

Hmmm ................. must confess: for the time being (until mastered the take offs and landings completely) enabled "autorudder" ............ :huh:

Well .......................................... in the meantime, managing with 25% assistance: still improving :)

edit2: 17-02-15: now managing with 5% assistance: not that bad hè.....

what do I do different at take off:

- smoother set up of the pedals

- trim nose forward 100% (completely)

- loose the brakes at 2.500rpm and after that gradually to 3.000rpm

- pretty fast the stick gradually from back to neutral (at 100 km/h, the stick is allready in neutral)

- a very steady eye at the differential needle and reacting to keep it in the centre

Landing goes also (mostly) well: there, I keep a very steady eye at the sinking instrument and keep it at just under zero (minus 2)

Only very occasional (1 at 50) I have a minor good landing: yesterday a tip of the wing touched the concrete with soms damage: ahhhhhrrrrgggg!!

Edited by wavn

Best regards, Willem

I think what most people don't realize is how important it is to have good controllers to include good rudders with toe brakes for this plane.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list of folks having trouble lifting off in the Dora. The P-51 is a piece of cake by comparison.

What's getting me is a very hard roll to the left as the tail gets light. Sometimes I can counter with aileron, but sometimes with the stick full right, the left wing still rocks down, digs in, and then I'm cartwheeling along the runway. The P-51 model by comparison had no tendency for hard uncommanded rolls during full power takeoff runs, just nose-left yaw, easily countered with rudder alone. I've had the control-indicator (CTRL-ENTER) display up, and I've verified it's not the controls commanding a left roll.

I experimented a bit with slow-flight at airspeeds betwen 280-240kph, and I noticed that at low speeds, engine power introduces a significant roll moment on the Dora. High power settings, and the Dora rolls left. Idle power, and the Dora rolls right (implies an aerodynamic bias to counter the engine). Above 300kph, and the effect is significantly muted.

Several posts indicate using a neutral stick and letting the Dora come up. I haven't successfully taken off like that yet, all my successful takeoffs have had both right rudder and right aileron to keep the airplane wings level, tracking down the runway centerline.

Maybe it would help if I understood the phenomenon behind the left-rolling tendency in the FW-190. It seems like those having an easy time never mention it, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something to cause it, or getting myself in a situaton where I can't handle it (i.e getting the tail up before the ailerons are effective).

Add me to the list of folks having trouble lifting off in the Dora. The P-51 is a piece of cake by comparison.

What's getting me is a very hard roll to the left as the tail gets light. Sometimes I can counter with aileron, but sometimes with the stick full right, the left wing still rocks down, digs in, and then I'm cartwheeling along the runway. The P-51 model by comparison had no tendency for hard uncommanded rolls during full power takeoff runs, just nose-left yaw, easily countered with rudder alone. I've had the control-indicator (CTRL-ENTER) display up, and I've verified it's not the controls commanding a left roll.

I experimented a bit with slow-flight at airspeeds betwen 280-240kph, and I noticed that at low speeds, engine power introduces a significant roll moment on the Dora. High power settings, and the Dora rolls left. Idle power, and the Dora rolls right (implies an aerodynamic bias to counter the engine). Above 300kph, and the effect is significantly muted.

Several posts indicate using a neutral stick and letting the Dora come up. I haven't successfully taken off like that yet, all my successful takeoffs have had both right rudder and right aileron to keep the airplane wings level, tracking down the runway centerline.

Maybe it would help if I understood the phenomenon behind the left-rolling tendency in the FW-190. It seems like those having an easy time never mention it, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something to cause it, or getting myself in a situaton where I can't handle it (i.e getting the tail up before the ailerons are effective).

It's all above (I know that's a lot to trawl through) but did you turn of 'Takeoff Assist'. Did you try stick back and some right aileron (top of stick at the right hand edge of the weapons panel behind it) and a small amount of right rudder plus holding the brakes initially until mid-RPM to get some airflow over the tail? Then brakes off, increase throttle (you don't need full power, 2700rpm should do it) anticipate/watch for early drift and catch it immediately.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Taking off FW-190 Dora rolling left

Hi.

When trying to take off In Multilayer the plane always roll to the left, there is no way to counter with the stick. whats that about?. It´s fells like a very bad flight model....

Every other plane I have, su-27, A10c. works fine. I have X-55 rihno

Windows 10 pro 64bit | Intel I7 4790K@ 4GHz | 24GB Crucial ballistix sport 1600MHz DDR3 | ASUS Strix GTX1080Ti OC | Crucial mx 100 250Gb SSD | Crucial mx 300 520Gb SSD "Game disc"| Samsung 1Tb HDD |

Have you turned off autorudder / take off assistent in the options menu? I hope you have rudderpedals.

It's a special tab for this module in the ''control options ''

Turned off will go better, otherwise you might be fighting this.

I'm sure it will go better compensating the torque with rudder and rudder corrections, it's a matter of practice. Keep it it going straight on take-off, you could watch the clouds as well as reference to keep straight.

(Also there might be some crosswind set in multiplayer)

Edited by Cnuke

Autorudder / take off assistent are off. No rudder pedals. Should I buy that, is it really worth it?

Yes maybe there was wind:P But it just felt weird when the plane rolled to the left unnaturally as soon as plane leaves the ground hard roll to the left.

Windows 10 pro 64bit | Intel I7 4790K@ 4GHz | 24GB Crucial ballistix sport 1600MHz DDR3 | ASUS Strix GTX1080Ti OC | Crucial mx 100 250Gb SSD | Crucial mx 300 520Gb SSD "Game disc"| Samsung 1Tb HDD |

I tried Single player and that works fine. One thing the FW 190 Dora campaign I had to play easy start up 4 times before the game let´s me continue to advance start, taking of for the 4 time next time I play.....

Sometimes the game, doesn't matter wich modules I play it feels so unrealistic. The SU-27 just goes insane full pitch up and no thrust at all, throttle at max. And the Dora feels like skiding on ice and keeps left rolling no matter what. Mostly on Multilayer.

Your problem is, that you take off to quickly. As soon as you leave the ground your left wing stalls because of the prop-torque and your right wing continues to go upwards.

There is no way to counter this.

You have to stay on the ground longer until you have enough speed and your tail wheel leaves the ground. Ut does also help ALOT to retract your flaps.

The flight model is exellent by the way.

Cheers!

Edited by TaccoZ__Amigo1__

Death is just nature's way of telling you to watch your airspeed. :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]