Radiator Flaps

RNeves

I noticed that during my first flight, the water temperature started to increase dramatically, so as the water temp.

Despite this fact, the radiator flaps remained closed, aren't they supposed to be automatic??

Anyone with the same issue?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

Right, but weren't they supposed to have an automatic position to manage them during flight??

At least in the folloeing document (page2 item 5), they write about the radiator flap automatic controller....

Edited by RNeves

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

• ED Team
Right, but weren't they supposed to have an automatic position to manage them during flight??

At least in the folloeing document (page2 item 5), they write about the radiator flap automatic controller....

The controller is the simple relay-type. It begins to open flaps as the temperature exceeds a limit. If you heat your engine a little bit lower than the limit and then run full steam ahead - the flaps can not be in time with a temperature.

It's the same mistake people make for Mustang. Watch the temperature before TO - if it is close to 90C then manually open the flaps.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

The controller is the simple relay-type. It begins to open flaps as the temperature exceeds a limit. If you heat your engine a little bit lower than the limit and then run full steam ahead - the flaps can not be in time with a temperature.

It's the same mistake people make for Mustang. Watch the temperature before TO - if it is close to 90C then manually open the flaps.

I'll give it a try and give the feedback later....

Thanks alot Yo-yo

:smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So is there any reason to NOT simply open them manually on take off every time? IF not an issue then I would just handle it that way rather than worry about it..

I do a similar thing with carb icing and the R22 helicopter.. Unless I absolutely NEED the extra power I just turn on anti-icing anytime there is even a REMOTE chance of carb icing...

??

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I double checked it, and they actualy open automatically.

The only thing i didn't check was if after we open or shut them manually, they start to operate automatically by themselves again.... But i'll check it on my next flight

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Make sure you set x to open and not close... there are 2 options. (I think, I cant remember now)

And they react extremely slowly. You have to keep it pressed for at least half a minute. OR: Press Numpad 0 + 2 for the Snap view, the handle is between the 2 instrument panels, above the temp gauges. Turn it with your mouse wheel while hovering the cursor above it.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

To which "document (page 2 item 5)" are you referring to?

I'm interested to know more about radiator flaps control.

The flaps can be operated manually on the ground, opening and closing, slowly but surely, seen from outside view.

But as soon as the Dora is in the air the flaps operate automatically ignoring any manual control.

This is seems to be logic for engine temp overheat safety reasons.

My question is, what then is the purpose of having manual control at all?

To which "document (page 2 item 5)" are you referring to?

I'm interested to know more about radiator flaps control.

The flaps can be operated manually on the ground, opening and closing, slowly but surely, seen from outside view.

But as soon as the Dora is in the air the flaps operate automatically ignoring any manual control.

This is seems to be logic for engine temp overheat safety reasons.

For me there is two ways of flying the dora 1st way is adjusting Rads manually ,but then I will have to adjust them for the whole flight or 2nd don't touch them at all during the whole flight.

If you take damage the engine can over heat so you can crank those suckers up

or if you use a lot of boost it can help to notch it up a little. I'am no expert though.

I double checked it, and they actualy open automatically.

The only thing i didn't check was if after we open or shut them manually, they start to operate automatically by themselves again.... But i'll check it on my next flight

Cheers

That's what I'd like to understand as well

Surely the main reason is as YO-YO said - for times when you can anticipate high temperatures i.e. T/O and combat. (when the auto system can't react as fast as you'd like and is always going to be 'behind the curve').

And certainly useful in emergencies.

Would indeed be interesting to know if / when they return to automatic, after manual operation.

Will test as well, if anyone gets there first let us know.

The flight manual describes on page 47 (indicator 1) the little control "wheel" as "Manual Radiator Flap Control"

That is a bit irritating, as the pilot can not control the radiator flaps completely manually

The radiator flaps are basically on automatic control.

The pilot can only override the automatic closing, by setting the minimum open position with the control wheel.

If you want to open the radiators, you can do that.

But you can not close them if the coolant temperature requires cooling.

If you want to cool down the coolant and engine oil, open the radiator control wheel.

To go back to normal automatic function just "close" the control wheel completely.

Keep in mind: Normal operating oil temperature is between 110 and 130°C.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

I noticed that during my first flight, the water temperature started to increase dramatically, so as the water temp.

Despite this fact, the radiator flaps remained closed, aren't they supposed to be automatic??

Anyone with the same issue?

I fly around low altitude in dogfight scenario in MP looking for bogies. Me in the weeds and trees and the cons I can see nicely contrasted against the sky. But flying around low I have blown engines frequently enough even at lower RPM's that I manually open the cowl flaps to not only cool the radiator, but the oil temp gage gets very hot, very quickly with the cowl flaps closed. Full closed to full open is a ten second count or less as seen in F2 view, or look at the rotating knob under the dash. I mapped two buttons on my Fighterstick to open and close the cowl flaps. In this 1st beta, I can run the engine continuous for 15 minutes at 3400 RPM with the cowl flaps open at tree top level.

I quit blowing the engine!

I have not found, by visual inspection in F2, that the cowl flaps are automatically controlled.

I fly all the aircraft in full sim realism, not the game mode.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Surely the main reason is as YO-YO said - for times when you can anticipate high temperatures i.e. T/O and combat. (when the auto system can't react as fast as you'd like and is always going to be 'behind the curve').

And certainly useful in emergencies.

Would indeed be interesting to know if / when they return to automatic, after manual operation.

Will test as well, if anyone gets there first let us know.

I tested this awhile back and found out that once you adjust them they will not go back to auto and you have to adjust them through out the flight.

If you choose not to touch them then you will have to manage the engine more and you want be able to push the motor very hard.

Bottom line is ,if you want to get the most out of the motor you will be using manual radiator flaps.

P.S When taxing to runway set rad flaps closed ,once they are fully closed ,open them up for around 12 to 15 seconds for best optimum preformence at take off.

Just my 2 cents as I am no expert in anyway;)

Edited by Godpeed

It would be nice to know how the rad flaps system actually works.

iFoxRomeo said earlier in the thread that the manual control is actually setting a minimum open level, rather than being a true manual control. If that's true, that's quite a nice feature, however that's at odds with the manual stating it's just a pure mechanical open/close valve.

Edited by Buzzles

Yo-Yo, Please explain Radiator Flaps logic in the Dora...

There are already a few opinions on how it is implemented, and from the manual I really can't find any additional help, so, could you please clarify if:

1) It's work in progress, and not yet correctly modeled or...

2) It's already there, and how it is supposed to be used? Is there indeed an "auto" mode? Does the auto mode get disabled if we manually actuate the Radiator Flaps?

Thx!

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I'd like to know this as well. ATM I mostly use manual control because this way it's far easier to keep the temperatures at the right levels

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2