Can't rip the wings off!

Sabredog

Ripping the wings should not be possible. The Dora didn't have hydraulic boosted elevator control, so unless your pilot is the T-1000 Terminator, you won't be able to pull with enough force to break it.

Might be possible with the trim though, it's electrically controlled.

Btw, does anyone know what the ultimate load for the D-9 was?

P-51 was around 9G-10G at fighter weight I think.

EDIT: Ok, found it. Apparently, the ultimate load factor for the FW 190 was 11.16+ G at 4250kg. So you have to pull over 11G to break off the wings.

Edited by Narushima

FW 190 Dora performance charts:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=128354

I don't know what it was exactly, but while pulling out of a steep dive at (more than?) 700 km/h I suddenly wondered what all those pieces and chunks where that suddenly appeared around the canopy and disappeared with 700 km/h to the rear ...

The wings did not break and were ripped off - they "desintegrated" piece by piece. That's at least how I percieved what happened ... as it happened rather quickly within 1-2 seconds before I blacked out and eventually burned to death ... :o)

I don't know what it was exactly, but while pulling out of a steep dive at (more than?) 700 km/h I suddenly wondered what all those pieces and chunks where that suddenly appeared around the canopy and disappeared with 700 km/h to the rear ...

The wings did not break and were ripped off - they "desintegrated" piece by piece. That's at least how I percieved what happened ... as it happened rather quickly within 1-2 seconds before I blacked out and eventually burned to death ... :o)

Well now THAT is a bad day...

:cry:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I promise.. it can be done. At least I was able to accomplish it a few days ago.

I will say it is very difficult to do so... which is a bit disappointing, considering it can be done quite easily in the stang.

Ripping the wings should not be possible. The Dora didn't have hydraulic boosted elevator control, so unless your pilot is the T-1000 Terminator, you won't be able to pull with enough force to break it.

The Mustang control surfaces will break off without any input while in a dive a bit over 500mph. The DCS Dora does not seem as fragile in my findings. I have not seen this at all.

EDIT:

And you bring up an interesting point... if that is the case and the pilot cannot combat the forces involved do the 190 controls stop responding in a dive?

Edited by Merlin-27

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

EDIT:

And you bring up an interesting point... if that is the case and the pilot cannot combat the forces involved do the 190 controls stop responding in a dive?

So an unrecoverable dive until the plane disintegrates. Now that would suck..:cry:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

EDIT:

No, but the controls are supposed to become heavy, and pull out that would rip off the wings should be nearly impossible for a normal human.

But seeing how we are not affected by these forces on our home joysticks, I really can't tell to what extend this is modelled in DCS.

EDIT: Ok, found it. Apparently, the ultimate load factor for the FW 190 was 11.16+ G at 4250kg. So you have to pull over 11G to break off the wings.

If the max limit is 11G, you won't break your wings at 11G as there is a safety coefficient in every structures/mechanical parts, even ( especially ! ) in aeronautic engineering. from 8 to 15%, this safety coeff. ensure that the plane won't break at max allowable G, or at VNE or ... etc etc But it's not advisable as you may imagin, for the airframe longevity :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

If the max limit is 11G, you won't break your wings at 11G as there is a safety coefficient in every structures/mechanical parts, even ( especially ! ) in aeronautic engineering. from 8 to 15%, this safety coeff. ensure that the plane won't break at max allowable G, or at VNE or ... etc etc But it's not advisable as you may imagin, for the airframe longevity :thumbup:

11,2 G is the ultimate load. The safety load was 6,2G, with a 1,8 safety factor (6,2G*1,8=11,16G).

11,2 G is the ultimate load. The safety load was 6,2G, with a 1,8 safety factor (6,2G*1,8=11,16G).

I'm fairly certain the Mustang was built to a design load (as you say, safety load) of 9G. I believe the factor in it's case was 1.5 (which would mean failure/ ultimate load at 13.5G), but I'm not certain on the safety margin.

Well, I ripped the wings off. Full on clean break of the left wing. The rest of you will just have to try harder. I used a lot of nose-up trim and almost pulled my joystick off the desk. Took a lot of doing but it was worth it to see the Dora spinning around, one wing down. :thumbup:

I'm fairly certain the Mustang was built to a design load (as you say, safety load) of 9G. I believe the factor in it's case was 1.5 (which would mean failure/ ultimate load at 13.5G), but I'm not certain on the safety margin.

The one you quoted me on was for the Dora.

P-51:

8G at 8000lb, which is 6,4G at 10000lb. With a safety factor of 1.5G that's 9,6G of ultimate load at 10000lb, so around 10G at standard fighter weight.

See here:

hhbaMtN.gif

You might have to zoom in a bit to see what it says (ctrl + mouse wheel to zoom in your browser).