Engine Sound in Cockpit is Missing

Honestly as much as I love this SIM I wish they would focus on the sounds more. It trumps everything else.

let me one-up you.....I wish they would stop with aircraft development for just a bit and finish and/or create new terrain.

I have been with this sim series since the release of Lock-On....I am BURNED OUT of this terrain.

Sorry for topic hijack.

Win 10 64bit; 32 GB DDR4 3200 Ram; ASUS MoBo; 1TB SSD;Intel i7 8700K; GTX 1080ti 11GB; Thrustmaster Warthog;Odyssey + VR

Sound is the substitute for what you can't feel on a PC. You can hear the buttons clicking, because otherwise you'd get no feedback when you clicked them with your mouse. You hear a clunk when the weapons release because you'd feel that in the plane. Etc

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Agree

I am going to vote +1 for the ability to hear engines. Real World pilots get the feel in the seat of the pants and vibration that we do not.

My buddy could not do great landings every time in my sim however in RW flies F5 and F18 charlies for an adversary squadron and does great RW landings every time. He is always the first to point out that without "tactile feel" can explain the reason why I can land my sim better than he can. :joystick: We make better gauge readers than they do.

Fight to fly, fly to fight, fight to win.

Callsign: Need

Shu-Ha-Ri

I tried it out quite a bit today, I don't mind the new sounds, I quite like them actually and think they are better than what we had before, but I do understand what people are saying about not being able to tell power settings from the noise pitch. I would be interested to see if this is true to the real thing, I suspect maybe not.

Also, I realise real pilots wear ear plugs and head sets and I get that argument also. But that's the kind of thing we can easily simulate ourselves, I'd like DCS to be true to the real aircraft sounds, not what the pilot hears through his layers, if we want to stifle the sound with a headset etc, we can in the same way a real pilot would.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I tried it out quite a bit today, I don't mind the new sounds, I quite like them actually and think they are better than what we had before, but I do understand what people are saying about not being able to tell power settings from the noise pitch. I would be interested to see if this is true to the real thing, I suspect maybe not.

Also, I realise real pilots wear ear plugs and head sets and I get that argument also. But that's the kind of thing we can easily simulate ourselves, I'd like DCS to be true to the real aircraft sounds, not what the pilot hears through his layers, if we want to stifle the sound with a headset etc, we can in the same way a real pilot would.

This^

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I like the new sound, ive been in allot of aircraft minus the a10c but truth be told its hard as heck to hear growls of engines dependent on the aircraft. I think its a nice touch not having the engines overtake all sound in the cockpit. But then again you could of achieved this before by adjusting the sound sliders.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

I just spent an hour trying to diagnose why I can't hear my engines anymore. Now I find out it was ED that adjusted the sound. :mad: The sound of engines increasing or decreasing is an extremely important part of the senses adjusting for not being able to FEEL the acceleration or deceleration in the aircraft.

If ED considers that this is an improvement I would strongly suggest that they revisit this decision. It makes flying the A10 a "lifeless" experience.:(

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

• 2 weeks later...
I just spent an hour trying to diagnose why I can't hear my engines anymore.(

Same here, I side on the pilots can feel therefore we shall hear side. I mean really, with the old ones it just added a feel like you say, instead of a constant half powered APU blaring in your ears.

On a side note, A10's have HMCS now? I would love to see that modeled!

Edited by davidjjdj

• 2 weeks later...
Yes the APU is to loud still but the APY is actually louder then both engines running real world as well.

That probably is because of the APU running at 100% and the engines at idle in the usual case then the APU is running. At least that's my own experience I made from sitting in air liners. But as soon as they increase throttle, the engine volume goes up a lot which isn't the case in DCS at all. Also listen to this:

How realistic is the new sound level? The video obviously doesn't take into account what the pilot can actually hear with his helmet on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wALuNQPO3s

And did you notice the wind/air stream noise? :)

Actually the engines don't seem to be loud at all while flying, add the helmet muffling to that and probably you can't hear them at all at higher speeds, but well, there's lots of other sounds not just right.

Most noticably the inverters are extremely loud compared to the engine... no difference even with playing around with the "Helmet Volume" in the Audio menu. I'll try reducing the In Cockpit volume... but IIRC this also reduces the engine noise, maybe ED changed that ;)

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The issue with DCS is that for simulate the fact that in-cockpit sound is lowered, the actual external sound is ridiculously too much loud, seriously the difference between in cockpit and external sound is ridiculously too much, yes this is a simulation, but this is also a video game, it don't wort to become deaf just for having a realistic sound level reproduction...

The issue is that if we lower external sound (or make internal louder) the sound distance which is actually false (too short, irl we can hear airliner at cruiser altitude over FL300 and in DCS we can't) it will lower even more the distance...

Pleases dev !!!

Make a better sound level, we don't need to become deaf just for having realism !

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

Make it yourself. The sound levels are adjustable, just go to Preferences and set as you like.

The issue is that if we lower external sound (or make internal louder) the sound distance which is actually false (too short, irl we can hear airliner at cruiser altitude over FL300 and in DCS we can't) it will lower even more the distance...

I was talking about adjustment.

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.