The Coba

level flight at ca. 400 mp/h push "k" and Pull the stick as far back as possible....

works only with Flankers and Fulcrums ;)

I hope you mean kp/h :-)

Anyway i think u need to be UNDER 400kph. It will not execute the "script" at 400 or higher

I hope you mean kp/h :-)

Anyway i think u need to be UNDER 400kph. It will not execute the "script" at 400 or higher

The speed range is 350-450, so 400 is a good compromise ;)

It's highly scripted in Lomac at the moment - maybe one day in ten years' time we'll get an AFM Su27 and the Cobra will become much more fascinating . . . . . grin.

Unless used in the horizontal plane to fire your R-73 at that annoying F-16

To execute such manouvres I think the aircraft has to be configured for it prior to pulling it off IMO. Can they execute the cobra with any loadout?

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Yeah... if there are, they'll tell you streight away ;)

Some US sources say it has to be a clean configuration.. but when did they get anything right :D At air shows it's don with smoke pods.. don't see why it couldn't be done with R-73's at their place. In fact, the only payload config I can see inferfearing with the manouver are the points under the engines.. those might create some problems with airflow.

As for the fuel loadout, yes - I think there is an influence of remaining fuel, perticulary on how many fuel in which tank, so that CG would be in the right place to allow the airplane to flip around it. But that doesn't neccecarely mean it can't be done, rather that you must count that in with other parameters for performing it.

The speed is the biggest restriction - do it too fast (at a too great speed) and you go in an ordinary climb, but becouse your limiter is disabled you pull to much G's and pass out. A few test pilots have been killed this way.

As for the usability - by no means a magic moove like noobs see it, but not entirely nonexistant like some would like. It is grately limited, but sill there.

Personally, saved my ass twice in lomac. Once was a pure luck.. after killing one guy did it as a victory manouver while at that same moment some guy I didn't even know about was coming at me from 9 with guns :D missed me and flew right by :D Second was at the end of a long short range shoot out, I was damaged (no weapon system) and he was out of rockets coming from behind for guns. Felt by the sound he was too fast, "pulled tha brake" and whoom his by :) he got an engine of mine, but one was enough for landing on a road while another red got him long :) But.. that one was purely his fault for not coming in correctly.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

Yeah... if there are, they'll tell you streight away ;)

Some US sources say it has to be a clean configuration.. but when did they get anything right :D At air shows it's don with smoke pods.. don't see why it couldn't be done with R-73's at their place. In fact, the only payload config I can see inferfearing with the manouver are the points under the engines.. those might create some problems with airflow.

As for the fuel loadout, yes - I think there is an influence of remaining fuel, perticulary on how many fuel in which tank, so that CG would be in the right place to allow the airplane to flip around it. But that doesn't neccecarely mean it can't be done, rather that you must count that in with other parameters for performing it.

The speed is the biggest restriction - do it too fast (at a too great speed) and you go in an ordinary climb, but becouse your limiter is disabled you pull to much G's and pass out. A few test pilots have been killed this way.

There was an airshow demonstration done with a heavy fuel load and ordnance fitted - however, I believe it was an advanced Flanker variant and don't think the Cobra was performed.

I can't really see any technical reason why the Cobra couldn't be performed with ordnance - the loadings should be OK, but you'd want to try out any aerodynamic effects first. The missiles aren't designed to fly at 90 degrees AoA at 400km/h, so it's quite possible you'd damage the aerodynamic surfaces. Especially on something big like the forward fins on the R27.

But hey, that's what test pilots are for . . . .

Fuel loadout - you don't get full maneuvrability in the Su27 until you're at 60% fuel or below. The wing and fuselage tanks with that 40% in are in odd positions about the CG, so no trying the Cobra above that level.

I've read at least one pilot's account of a Cobra in an Su27 which puts the entire maneuvre at less than 3 G's. Overstressing the aircraft or yourself in a Cobra would necessitate quite a high speed . . . . you can pull rather more G's using the wings as they were intended than in a fully stalled position.

I've read at least one pilot's account of a Cobra in an Su27 which puts the entire maneuvre at less than 3 G's. Overstressing the aircraft or yourself in a Cobra would necessitate quite a high speed . . . . you can pull rather more G's using the wings as they were intended than in a fully stalled position.

But that's once you get in a cobra.. as I sayed, try it above the critical speed (could be 450 km/h scripted in the game or slighly more) and you never get in a cobra, but a rapid climb.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.