Autopilot

I have looked into the Mi-8 files and found how to fix it (since the dev´s seems a bit slow to respond).

It took me less than 15 mins to find the culprit by comparing the files with some old ones I have in my DCS Open Beta install...

Find this file:

\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts\device_init.lua

Open it with Notepad (I prefer Notepad++ for Lua files) and then find this line (line:118 with Notepad++):

creators[devices.AUTOPILOT] = {

"Mi8::avAutopilot_Mi8",

LockOn_Options.script_path.."Devices_specs/autopilot.lua",

{{"ElecInterface",devices.ELEC_INTERFACE},

{"GMC", devices.GMK1A},

{"ADI", devices.AGB_3K_RIGHT},

{"LightSystem",devices.LIGHT_SYSTEM}},

LockOn_Options.script_path.."Devices_commands/AUTOPILOT_commands.lua"}

And change it to read:

creators[devices.AUTOPILOT] = {

"Mi8::avAutopilot_Mi8",

LockOn_Options.script_path.."Devices_specs/autopilot.lua",

{{"ElecInterface",devices.ELEC_INTERFACE},

{"GMC", devices.GMK1A},

{"ADI", devices.AGB_3K_LEFT},

{"LightSystem",devices.LIGHT_SYSTEM}},

LockOn_Options.script_path.."Devices_commands/AUTOPILOT_commands.lua"}

Now save the file (better make a backup before changing it).

Voila - Pitch & Roll Channel works again !!

FinnJ

• Like 5

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

I have looked into the Mi-8 files and found how to fix it (since the dev´s seems a bit slow to respond).

It took me less than 15 mins to find the culprit by comparing the files with some old ones I have in my DCS Open Beta install...

Find this file:

\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts\device_init.lua

[........]

Now save the file (better make a backup before changing it).

Voila - Pitch & Roll Channel works again !!

FinnJ

HAH! Man thats awesome, just tested it and can confirm it works!

Thanks alot!

Rep'd you.

Edited by ericoh

You saved lifes Jacob! Thanks million!

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Well Done.. fjacobsen... Well done !!

Thanks for the EASY FIX....

:pilotfly:

She's back out of the Hangar again...!

Meanwhile back at the office...

:doh:

Windows 10,64 bit

Intel Core i7 8700K, 3.7MHz (O/C-4.8)

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E

32GB DDR4

GTX 1080Ti,(sometimes 2x with SLI)

2x500GB SSD

1TB Hybrid drive.

Hotas Warthog system +10cm extension

Custom built (3D printed) Collective assy.

Cross Wind Pedals

Oculus S

for me is no big matter, if it works or not, it is nice to have, but flying a helicopter means for that you have full control, for sure it reduces working on it, but do we want a simulation or not. So try to fly without the autopilot, and it will help you, to be a better pilot.

lg Markus

Outstanding work fjacobsen. I feel like I've learned something too. It seems the pitch roll auto pilot stability channel works from the left attitude power switch and not the copilots right attitude power switch. You would think the ap stability channel would use either ADI data stream in the event of the lefts failure. Perhaps this is an oversight in the avionics logic and it should? Either way great work fixing this issue for the community.

for me is no big matter, if it works or not, it is nice to have, but flying a helicopter means for that you have full control, for sure it reduces working on it, but do we want a simulation or not. So try to fly without the autopilot, and it will help you, to be a better pilot.

Note that the pitch/roll channel isn´t a real autopilot mode, but a stability augmentation system (SAS).

While pilots probably are trained to fly without, this is never done in normal flights.

Most pilots would sweat doing so for prolonged flights.

Regard the SAS like the powersteering of Your car - You can do without, but never would.

FinnJ

Edited by fjacobsen

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Drivel the system is there for a reason. irl they would ground the helicopter

Didn't mean that to seem so rude, must not post before first cigarette of the day

Edited by Cibit

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I put the Autopilot fix in and the lights come on. I realize it is actually a stability system but why when I make a quick control input does the lights go off and I loose the stability system?

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

I put the Autopilot fix in and the lights come on. I realize it is actually a stability system but why when I make a quick control input does the lights go off and I loose the stability system?

If your landings are too rough, or you pull too much G's, the Stability system switches off. Most of the time it is the result of the pilot making his maneuvers too violent. So that means you are already in trouble. I use key-bindings to engage the system again. Usually it can withstand quite a bit of "punishment". But it can never hurt to be careful. Especially with Helicopters! :thumbup:

Happy flying! :pilotfly:

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

I guess quick collective adjustment is the cause of the system going off. I am using the Warthog and the slightest movement of the throttle (collective) creates to much result in the VVI so I am winding up chasing the VVI on landing which is causing the SAS to turn off. I will play with curves and saturation and see if I can get a handle on this hardware to software thing.

Thanks for the input!

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

I guess quick collective adjustment is the cause of the system going off. I am using the Warthog and the slightest movement of the throttle (collective) creates to much result in the VVI so I am winding up chasing the VVI on landing which is causing the SAS to turn off. I will play with curves and saturation and see if I can get a handle on this hardware to software thing.

Thanks for the input!

I'm not sure what a VVI is. But in normal flight, the SAS never switches off for me. Maybe only when I am doing violent maneuvers like trying to get out of a Vortex ring, or trying to prevent from flying in a very nearby obstacle like a building or a mountain. I use 25% curve for "roll" and "Pitch". And a bit of curve for the rudder. Not the collective.

Maybe the Warthog is not really suited for helicopters since it is a very heavy stick that requires a lot of force to move around and might have a very pronounced "Clunk" if you return it to center. But I guess it also depends of what you are used to.

A small hint to make take-off and landing more smooth, engage the heading channel of the autopilt/SAS. It will try to maintain the heading the nose is currently pointed to. Unless you press the pedals. After releasing the pedals, it will hold the new heading. On take-off, increase collective VERY gently, otherwise the heading channel will spin out off control.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

For Tusler:

What you refer to as "SAS" turns off in case of low rotor rpm. (systems required for the autopilot to be operational are driven off of the main gearbox) So avoid loosing rotor RPM (i.e.: below 90%, ideally should be around 95%) You probably know this, but as a reminder: high collective settings or rapid movement of the collective has the highest influence on rotor RPM, but of course rapid fwd cyclic also has this effect to name a few.

Edited by kintaro