How to Land the Dora

wolle

^^well, on both approaches from 90° towards the runway, but each from opposite direction..

wind speeds...both the same.i built the mission and set 20m/s

Wow, 40 knots of cross wind in a 1500hp tail dragger... This only ensures me, that you are our aviation stig :P.

"Some say..." :thumbup:

carrier landing..........

http://youtu.be/wOum8W3Q0xQ

Very nice landing. I have managed to do few with P51. But had long break and now I can't even do proper touch & go ;)

But this means only one thing. Now we're waiting for DavidRed to do crosswind carrier landing :music_whistling:

I remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well.....all i can say is i beat the hell out of that poor aircraft carrier before i did it lol........;-)

Edited by TwilightZone

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

• ED Team
well.....all i can say is i beat the hell out of that poor aircraft carrier before i did it lol........;-)

crosswind carrier landing: http://youtu.be/TfHSUNetFDY

Very nice! It would be very interesting to have the same landing filmed from the camera fixed on the carrier.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Very nice! It would be very interesting to have the same landing filmed from the camera fixed on the carrier.

i have it saved in game replay.....is there a way to get carrier view on replay?

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

should be possible with hitting left Ctrl+F11, then you are in free camera mode...then just scroll on the mousewheel to move to your desired place.

ok...thanks DavidRed....i'll give that a go

i can get in front view but it wont stay locked at carrier view.....keeps moving up down then away.....maybe cause carrier is moving away at 25 knts

: http://youtu.be/0-6DZ8hUUz0

... i'll keep trying to get view locked at carrier somehow

Edited by TwilightZone

use CTRL+F11, unhook the camera, move to the carrier, and try to find the desired altitude for you to place the camera. Then hit LAlt+K to lock the camera altitude and try to set the camera speed and velocity vector so that it matches the carriers. Padlock the dora from that position and you should be good to go

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

• ED Team

F9 or a derivative from it (Ctrl, Alt, etc) locks on a vessel.

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

F9 or a derivative from it (Ctrl, Alt, etc) locks on a vessel.

thanks Yo-Yo.....F9 worked....was able to put view at front side....

Edited by TwilightZone

Nice flying!!

I haven't tried the 'pure cross wind challenge' to carrier landings of a tail draggers, in DCS before, but played with carrier landings in the Stang: trying to land it on the angled deck rather than 'just any old how' was challenging enough for me -

So really nice job!

Short final is a devil :)

Nice flying!!

I haven't tried the 'pure cross wind challenge' to carrier landings of a tail draggers, in DCS before, but played with carrier landings in the Stang: trying to land it on the angled deck rather than 'just any old how' was challenging enough for me -

So really nice job!

Short final is a devil :)

On the above video, observing the aircraft touching down on the deck in a sideslip, I wonder how the undercarriage didn't get damaged.

I have mad a few "heavier than usual" landings, and on of my landing gears collapses or becomes "angled" :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

On the above video, observing the aircraft touching down on the deck in a sideslip, I wonder how the undercarriage didn't get damaged.

I have mad a few "heavier than usual" landings, and on of my landing gears collapses or becomes "angled" :-)

....yeah....each time i touched down in a side slip the gear crunched like toothpicks......this landing i actually yaw left before touch down and square up to the deck.......this shows it bit closer

Edited by TwilightZone
  • Like 1

....yeah....each time i touched down in a side slip the gear crunched like toothpicks......this landing i actually yaw left before touch down and square up to the deck.......this shows it bit closer

: http://youtu.be/NNOS6lyLiJQ

Very nice landing, congrats :)

Currently I am spending much more time in P3D since it is more "eye candy" now. But I hope to comeback to DCS after version 2.0 is released and practise more with FW190.

I remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...

i think the wheel dampers are much to strong, i noticed that when loading a 500kg bomb and the plane does´nt goeas down a bit like the P51 does quite well ! This have also bad effects when take of and landing because plane tends to jump easily.

WIN 10; i9-9900K@4,8GHz; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus;32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz; 2TB Samsung SSD; GeForce GTX1080 8GB Seahawk; 34" AW3418DW; MS FFB2 Stick

i think the wheel dampers are much to strong, i noticed that when loading a 500kg bomb and the plane does´nt goeas down a bit like the P51 does quite well ! This have also bad effects when take of and landing because plane tends to jump easily.

Mig-21 exhibits similar tendencies during landing at about 400 km/hr. Without a level touchdown at less than 5m/s the craft is likely to rock violently side to side and possibly break a wing and flip.

Landing FW 190

It is extremely difficult to land the FW 190, and I believe it is actually more difficult in DCS than the actual plane.

I've watched the landing video and I stay in the 190 range with descent between 2 and 5, but it still will not sit down on the runway after a lot of attempts. It is almost to the point of unplayable.

I understand that you need to make it difficult, but I think it has gone beyond the extreme.

Edited by EddieJames

Asus Rampage V X99 | Win 7 x64 | i7 5930 @ 3.5 GHz | 32GB RAM | Nvidia GTX780ti | Logitech G940 | Oculus Rift DK2

• ED Team
It is extremely difficult to land the FW 190, and I believe it is actually more difficult in DCS than the actual plane.

I've watched the landing video and I stay in the 190 range with descent between 2 and 5, but it still will not sit down on the runway after a lot of attempts. It is almost to the point of unplayable.

I understand that you need to make it difficult, but I think it has gone beyond the extreme.

If only one soldier in the platoon marching out of step who is right? Possibly your thread had to be named in the different way. :)

In some ways it probably is harder than in real life - you probably have a short throw little joystick, no depth perception to help you guage where you are relative to the ground, and can't 'feel' the plane sinking, or making contact with the ground.

There were simillar comments when the pony came out by SIM pilots transitioning from other SIMs, but the general concensus among pilots that had flown the real aircraft was that the deficiencies were with the gaming hardware, not the mechanics of the simulation, and that with practice (& letting go of how easy the same task has been in other SIMs as a yardstick), landing becomes relatively easy. . .

I've never flown a real life Dora, but I suspect the same is true here..

Cheers.

This thread reminds me of when the F-15C first came out and some of the FC3 community said it was unlandable. Since I already had experience landing the warthog and the pony, I had absolutely no trouble landing the PFM F-15C on the first go. Same with the Dora. The more PFMs you have experience with, the easier each new one you try will seem.

Tip: Keeping your flaps retracted will make landing and takeoff easier in the P-51 and FW-190 (at the obvious expense of rolling distance).

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just keep working at it. DoW server was a mess tonight with everyone trying to learn to takeoff in the Dora and Mustang. Can't imagine what threads we're gonna see in the next month with the BF109. Airfield looked like a B-52 strike had come in by the end of the ship mission. I still don't make perfect landings but is more because I get impatient than anything else. I have had alot of tailwheel collapses lately for some reason. You master the Dora or Mustang and the rest will be easy. Did my first startup in the F86 with perfect landing and takeoff.

yes you are right, the Dora seems simulated with much less input and effort as the zoo baby P51, no wonder because no one is flying but they could ask the FW190A5 owner in USA with same wings, wheels and dampers. you will notice that unrefined simulated plane in many things. P51 is a contrast like day and night....which i like veery much because it´s the best simulated plane i ever flew in a PC GAME !

ah, yes i´m a whiner, hahaha.

now to the point why Dora ingame sucks so much in start and even more in landing behaviour. Imo the reason is they made the wheel dampers nearly not working or more like a feather than a damper.

german planes like 109 and 190 were optimized for grass surface...try that in a DCS Dora and you will see that´s even harder as on cement runway. But that´s BULLSHIT. Im sure they know that very well and hopefully the fix this damper problem. You also can see that the dampers are much to hard when loading a 500kg bomb, the planes jerks a bit bit the dampers sink in only marginal. Load a P51 or SU25 and you will notice a much softier nicer simulated wheel damper behaviour when loading.

This shows why they dont work when touch down or wheels are running through a rough surface (grass). Grass is softier than cement but with no dampers or only simulated feathers it´s a trampoline.

In Cliffs of Dover there are only grass runways and i think they simulated this surface and the plane behaviour very well especially when take off or landing a 2mot plane. But of course the 109 is perhaps a bit to easy to land.

In real a Dora pilot very much feared enemies like P51 and not the take off or landing....in DCS it´s vice versa :D

I saw a 190A landing a few years ago live and filmed it....look here at the ned of video min. 9.41 on.

if this real 190 had the DCS simulated dampers and undercarriage it would have jumped 10m up and ended in a explosion like DCS´s 190 pilot´s often do, hahah.

... we have something to challenge when DCS´s 109K bounce along :cry:....Spitfire fan´s should be frightend too :-)

Edited by kubanloewe

WIN 10; i9-9900K@4,8GHz; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus;32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz; 2TB Samsung SSD; GeForce GTX1080 8GB Seahawk; 34" AW3418DW; MS FFB2 Stick