Logitech Extreme 3D PRO

wizbomb

Hello all!

I recently picked up DCS:Huey and DCS:A10C during the steam summer sale. I am not new to the DCS series as I owned DCS:Blackshark a long time ago, but I do have some newbie questions to ask :smilewink:.

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D PRO joystick fresh out the box and I wanted to know what you guys thoughts were on this stick. I have already spent 6 hours in DCS:Huey and I pretty much know everything when it comes to the flight aspect. Infact i'd say im doing pretty good for how little ive played :pilotfly:, very stable flying and all! I guess the main point is how will this stick treat me in DCS:A10C as i know that's the more challenging of the two.

P.S. My new trackIR 5 is coming in the mail and will be here monday, never had anything like it and im so excited!!!!!:D:D:D

I used this joystick for many years and it served me well. One thing I noticed is some slop around the center after a few months of use. Another thing was that the throttle is not very precise at all... I stuck a couple pieces of paper in there and taped them down to make the throttle stiffer. It helped but it still lacked the precision needed for things like Air-to-air refueling in the A10C (or I'm just terrible at it because I still have trouble with the X52 I use now). That being said, for the price it's a solid stick that should last you a long time.

I used the 3D Pro for a few years but once I went to the Saitek X52, I never ever looked back. The 3D Pro uses analogue pots with a leverage system that wears out over a short time and you have to start utilizing dead zones to compensate. The X52 uses optical technology and you never had to deal with dead zones. I also found that while I have to replace the Logitech stick pretty regularly because it tends to wear out. My X52 doesn't seem to ever wear out. Plus.....you get the throttle and it's set up for realistic simulation. I'm sitting here looking at one of my old 3D pro sticks right now and thinking how happy I am to have purchased the X52.

However....this is only my experience. I know other guys who love the 3D pro.

So i started to look into this X52 as I hear it alot of these forums. My 3D PRO can still be returned for a refund if you guys think I should get that stick instead.

I found a used X52 in town where I live for $80. It's a huge improvement over the 3D Pro and was definitely worth the investment. The throttle is a million times more precise and so is the whole joystick all together. Also, one of my favorite things is the mode dial that lets you basically program 3 uses for every button.

If you have the money to buy it full price I would say it's worth it but if you can wait I can almost guarantee you'll find a good used X52 on the internet for a really good price.

I have this stick and bought it with the intention to use it with more arcade like games like battlefield for example. And imho that's what it's good for. I once tried it in DCS while I had to repair my X52 and it was simply horrible...

It's better than nothing I guess, but from what I've experienced it is way to inaccurate for a proper sim like DCS

I have this stick and bought it with the intention to use it with more arcade like games like battlefield for example. And imho that's what it's good for. I once tried it in DCS while I had to repair my X52 and it was simply horrible...

It's better than nothing I guess, but from what I've experienced it is way to inaccurate for a proper sim like DCS

What makes you say that? I've heard otherwise from everywhere I've looked.

I like to fly with the x-52 throttle and the logitech 3d pro stick. I have the x-52 (not pro version) and the springs are pretty warn out. The tension in the logitech stick feels much better imo than the x-52. The only thing I like on the X-52 that I don't like on the logitech is that the x-52 has 2 POV HAT switches on the stick. It sucks to only have one on the logitech because I would like to use one to look around and the other to trim like how I would do on my X-52.

Also, Don't mean to hijack your thread but..

Does anyone know how to program the logitech stick to have differen't modes? Like I want to be able to press a button and have it change the button configuration of the stick. (Like how the X-52 has the mode switch that allows you to program buttons differently within the different modes)

Edited by KillarZ

I like to fly with the x-52 throttle and the logitech 3d pro stick. I have the x-52 (not pro version) and the springs are pretty warn out. The tension in the logitech stick feels much better imo than the x-52. The only thing I like on the X-52 that I don't like on the logitech is that the x-52 has 2 POV HAT switches on the stick. It sucks to only have one on the logitech because I would like to use one to look around and the other to trim like how I would do on my X-52.

Also, Don't mean to hijack your thread but..

Does anyone know how to program the logitech stick to have differen't modes? Like I want to be able to press a button and have it change the button configuration of the stick. (Like how the X-52 has the mode switch that allows you to program buttons differently within the different modes)

How long have you had that X-52?

If money's tight you're better off getting a TrackIR and cheap stick, instead of a HOTAS and no TrackIR.

As long as the stick has rudimentary axis functions it will suffice.

Precision, while nice, is not strictly necessary. Paveway guided bombs, for example, have zero control precision - the steering fins only do full deflection ("bang-bang") motion, and yet it can bullseye a moving vehicle.

Likewise, it is technically possible to fly any DCS aircraft with nothing more than an XBox360 controller. I've tried this on a few occasions with the Huey, and once you have learned to predict the behaviour of the aircraft, it's easy. Having a precise HOTAS will do nothing to prevent pilot-induced oscillation - that's all to do with predicting the aircraft's motion.

So don't worry too much about having the best joystick. A TrackIR will benefit you far more.

If money's tight you're better off getting a TrackIR and cheap stick, instead of a HOTAS and no TrackIR.

As long as the stick has rudimentary axis functions it will suffice.

Precision, while nice, is not strictly necessary. Paveway guided bombs, for example, have zero control precision - the steering fins only do full deflection ("bang-bang") motion, and yet it can bullseye a moving vehicle.

Likewise, it is technically possible to fly any DCS aircraft with nothing more than an XBox360 controller. I've tried this on a few occasions with the Huey, and once you have learned to predict the behaviour of the aircraft, it's easy. Having a precise HOTAS will do nothing to prevent pilot-induced oscillation - that's all to do with predicting the aircraft's motion.

So don't worry too much about having the best joystick. A TrackIR will benefit you far more.

My trackIR 5 will be here monday along with my X52 PRO, I got both.