[REPORTED] EZ 42 remarks [0027501]

draken152

Hi all,

First ED thank you for great FW 190D.

I have only few remarks to EZ 42 functionality.

1. Gunsight power switch (on right side of gungsiht) it function was to switch on/off both gyroscopes not the whole gunsight like is it now in DCS Dora. That means in reality it was switch for gyro and fixed mode. This is mentioned in EZ 42 manual site 14 point 10:

If it is needed Gunsight can be used also as fixed reticle gunsight. By switching down the switch you will turn of gyroscopes guiding and mirror is turned back to zero (basic position). Obey this: To keep up 10% gunsight reticle is needed to adjust wingspan on target wingspan knob to 11,5m or 16,5m or 31,8m and distance on range distance indicator to 115m or 165m or 318m (colour made Company marks on range distance indicator).

See original electric schema in attachment, switch is number 33 )

2. Both gyroscopes need approximately 1,5 min to get right lead calculation. So they must be switch on in advance before fight. This is mentioned in EZ42 manual site 13: Keep in mind the gyroscopes need aproximetly 1,5 min to set right lead calculation. Beacause of that do not switch on just before fight.

I think this should be programed to DCS Dora and mentioned in Dora manual.

3. EZ 42 Gunsight Adjustment Unit is currently not working. Is planned to program it??? I think at least the gunsight altitude adjustment is planned, how it is working can be derived from attached schematic (number 41).

4. And one minor graphic remark, EZ 42 Gunsight Adjustment Unit is missing cable on right side. See attached picture.

Sorry If the translation from manual aren’t 100% correct I am not native speaker neither English or German.

1711873606_EZ42schematic.thumb.jpg.56c05ee4577f9f5de729c6ba488e6bb3.jpg

655020520_EZ42adjusmentunit.thumb.jpg.deb60d83ef01d514eb01a09affddc3e7.jpg

• Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Building FW190D pit ,,To Dora with love" http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=132743

Great post, draken152! Thank you!

Honestly, I suspected that having to set distance to minimum in order to get a fixed reticle can't be correct. The circle disappears from the sight and the only reference left is the central aiming mark. This can't be right. You need the circle as an additional reference to better judge lead, both air to air as well al ground straffing.

Probably in the right cockpit switches panel there should be an additional switch for turning on EZ 42. As a big electronic device with vaccum tubes, it MUST have its own ON-OFF switch, just like FuG16 and FuG25.

Yes, great info :)

I have some details on the operation of the EZ42 that I will post, however I have not read it yet so I am not sure how useful it will be.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Great post, draken152! Thank you!

Honestly, I suspected that having to set distance to minimum in order to get a fixed reticle can't be correct. The circle disappears from the sight and the only reference left is the central aiming mark. This can't be right. You need the circle as an additional reference to better judge lead, both air to air as well al ground straffing.

Probably in the right cockpit switches panel there should be an additional switch for turning on EZ 42. As a big electronic device with vaccum tubes, it MUST have its own ON-OFF switch, just like FuG16 and FuG25.

Sorry in this case I am not sure what you mean, you need only to turn of switch on gunsight and than you have fixed reticle mode, it has nothing with distance. All distance and wingspan adjustment after that are only due the facts you need 10% reticle (like on REVI 16B). If I misunderstand your remark sorry:music_whistling:....

Switch on right panel is already included.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Building FW190D pit ,,To Dora with love" http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=132743

Sorry in this case I am not sure what you mean, you need only to turn of switch on gunsight and than you have fixed reticle mode, it has nothing with distance. All distance and wingspan adjustment after that are only due the facts you need 10% reticle (like on REVI 16B). If I misunderstand your remark sorry:music_whistling:....

Switch on right panel is already included.

What I was saying is that currently in DCS the only way to have a fixed reticle is to set distance to minimum value, which is not correct.

Switch on right panel? where?

What I was saying is that currently in DCS the only way to have a fixed reticle is to set distance to minimum value, which is not correct.

Switch on right panel? where?

Sorry I didn't recognize you are writing about DCS not how it work in reality:cry:...

It is not separate switch in DCS, it is switch for instrumental lights, compass .... I have marked in another EZ 42 schematic general switch and gyroscopes switch, from this is also clear the bulb/light is connected only to general switch. I don't have any evidence if the general switch was in FW190D as it is made in DCS....

756295569_EZ42.thumb.jpg.676bcfa0e42939ae6c946e1aaa73567b.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry I didn't recognize you are writing about DCS not how it work in reality:cry:...

It is not separate switch in DCS, it is switch for instrumental lights, compass .... I have marked in another EZ 42 schematic general switch and gyroscopes switch, from this is also clear the bulb/light is connected only to general switch. I don't have any evidence if the general switch was in FW190D as it is made in DCS....

Ok, I see now - the bulb should be switched on with V24 switch. If you don't need the sight, the reticle brightness should be adjustable to zero with the control on the sight (I think the control is not functional now).

The current range scale in sim doesn’t make any sense. What in the picture of the real thing is a 400, the modeler thought it is 100. The real sight range scale has range marks for 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000. It would be logical to assume the sight has marks for 100, 200, 300, maybe even marks at every 50m for close range, especially since the scale is non-linear, there is enough room for that.

Since the real sight range scale has distinct marks for 800, 900, 1000 m, ranges where you have no hope of hitting anything that flies, I am 100% convinced it has to have marks for 100, 200, 300, 400 since that’s the usual “working” range in air combat.

I could make for myself a modified texture with the missing marks, but it wouldn’t be correct, the range marks would be way too close to each other, see how non-linear the real sight range scale is, below the 300m range mark, there is a large space and the lower range mark is not visible. The current scale would have to be a lot longer.

And the current sight on-off switch, that actually should be a gyro-fixed switch, is this going to be reported? I mean there are documents that proves it.

4.jpg.522fe3d2b695c6c359891fe238fc2825.jpg

Is this why I can't hit squat with the gunsight?;)

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Me too. Option to have revi 16b please, or fixed sight option with this ez42 asap. 20mm mineshells bounce off these Ai mustangs btw, hit by four and he's still flying?

Though abit off topic...

I think that weapons in general has too little effect in DCS.

Bombs falling rather close to f.ex unamoured trucks doesn´t damage the trucks by much.

Neither guns or cannons do much harm to AI aircraft, requiring alot of hits to bring down the enemy.

I guess only a few 20mm hits from the FW-190 should bring down most aircraft.

Also a well aimed burst of .50 from the P-51D should be enough for killing most fighter sized aircraft.

FinnJ

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Lethality depends on range because of weapon harmonization. I managed to bring down a P-51 the other day with a very brief burst from the 190 because all of the hits landed together. Same with the P-51: I get one-pass kills on 190s when I fire from the correct range. Most of the time we're firing from too close so the hits are spread out over the target.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

With the Fw-190's nose guns and cannons on the wingroot (all within the prop arc), harmonization isn't really a factor like it is with the P-51. What's probably happening is that the firing timer in sync with the prop is not allowing all guns to fire during a short burst; if you watch the Fw-190 guns fire in an external view you'll see that the firing pattern appears random across all guns.

EDIT: That said, I can't yet hit the broad side of a barn with the Fw-190. :D

Edited by Home Fries

Fox one you said "And the current sight on-off switch, that actually should be a gyro-fixed switch, is this going to be reported? I mean there are documents that proves it."

Yes it has been reported and acknowledged :)

Some people may want to try and see if this helps out. Set the wingspan to whatever aircraft and don't set it to the current distance(unless it flying straight) but to what distance you think it will be at when its in firing position. This is usually a much closer range and the sight doesn't move around as much so just as the target comes into the sight picture you can fire. This sight may not need to recalculate its current aiming position and thus be more accurate but I'd like to see if this helps others.

The FW190 seems to catch climbing targets at low altitudes quickly and this may help you get a firing solution quicker. Also its a much steadier sight at these close distances for things like head-on attacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Bug/error: EZ 42/1-A1

The Revi is activated through the fuse-switch V24 (right hand panel) and not through the switch on the right sight of the Revi (below the distance indicator).

The switch below the distance indicator is for activating the gyros of the Revi, so you can switch between arrested (switch in down position, important for bombing) and loose (switch in up position: gyros on, waiting time until full activation 1,5 min).

The Revi sight also has a scale division in 1° units for bombing.

Translated text of "D.(Luft)T.g.6413 - EZ 42/1-A1" page 5:

EZ42/1 for bomb drop

For the use in a fighter/bomber is the sight for prediction determination provided with a scale division. For bomb drop is the Revi-sight fixed and the target circle adjusted to biggest diameter (smallest distance).

Also see Page 14 point 10):

The sight can also , if necessary, be used as a fixed Revi. After shifting the switch into down position the automatic prediction control will be deactivated, the mirror returns to center position. Note thereby: to get a 10% circle, is the span distance knop to adjust at the catch 11,5 m, catch 16,5 m or catch 31,8 m and the distance set to 115 m resp. 16,5 m resp. 318m on the distance scale (colored markings at the distance scale).