AH-1 S or W? What do you want?

ericoh

AH-1 S or W? What do you want?  

839 members have voted

1. 1. AH-1 S or W? What do you want?

• AH-1G
    • AH-1S
    • AH-1W

PilotMi8 just confirmed that they MAYBE switch to AH-1S or W Variant.

we are now reviewing the plan .. maybe it will be "-1S" or "-1W"..book.gif

What do you think?

P.S.: I will add the G variant to show them what the community thinks

Edited by ericoh
  • Like 1

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see why the "G" cockpit cant be used to make a "S" also...I like the nostalgic G, but I want TOW missiles....

...I also would like to see a "W" super cobra to go with the F-18c should it ever really happen...although i dont think much would carry over from earlier cockpits work...they lose alot of commonality that the early models had together...

an equal to the Blackshark would be the "W"...modern MFDs and weaponry...GPS moving maps and countermeasure defense system...

but if you want a Vietnam feel, the "S" is a good choice...and it can still kill tanks in a semi modern setting

...without ATGMs of some sort, the "G" is just not a good fit for DCS world...to many tanks and vehicle columns...not enough viet cong infantry and river boats...

just my 2 cents...and I still can't figure how I want to vote....nostalgic(with tow) or superbadass..

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

I dont see why the "G" cockpit cant be used to make a "S" also...I like the nostalgic G, but I want TOW missiles....

I can appreciate that, but I don't know. I hate the S as an option to be honest. It's the middle ground between the Vietnam era G and the more modern W. It smells like a stop-gap option just to get something out with the intent to make people happy, yet my guess is neither sides of the spectrum will be overly thrilled by it.

People have been excited about Vietnam-era aircraft as of late, even the hopeful wish for the actual theater be a future possibility. With that said, folks seem to like period-authentic equipment & capabilities. I don't think the S would be a welcomed option in that particular realm (certainly not by the hard core folks), and would be too early a model for the more modern day fans.

For a larger audience, I just don't see the appeal of the S.

I'd fly the AH-1G in a Vietnam map, but my true want is an AH-1F (AH-1S Step 3) along with a Fulda Gap map. The AH-1W was a good attack helo but was never as advanced as the AH-64A was and the Apache is the yardstick by which all modern attack helicopters are measured. The Zulu is a totally different aircraft altogether and will be very hard to model with any accuracy without a contract from the Marine Corps. As opposed to the Zulu, all of the other AH-1's are simple in comparison. Regardless of which one Belsimtek models, it will be a day one buy for me.

• Like 1

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

My vote is qualified. I went with the S because it's single engine and has more commonality with the UH-1H for a quicker turnaround. However, I would really like the F in this case (HUD, laser, et al), or at the very least the "Upgunned S" with the 20mm cannon and TOW. However, if I could get a G to hold me over until the S/F is available I'd make that a day 1 purchase.

I'd love the W as well, but the twin engine and those avionics will make for a longer development time.

I wasn't planning on buying the AH-1G due to no antitank capability and role overlap with the UH-1H. AH-1S is definitely an improvement, and AH-1W would be a day one buy for me. I actually prefer the AH-1 over the AH-64.

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wasn't planning on buying the AH-1G due to no antitank capability and role overlap with the UH-1H. AH-1S is definitely an improvement, and AH-1W would be a day one buy for me.

This...except I'd probably buy anyway cause I haven't missed a single module and why start now? (and I've enjoyed everything Belsimtek puts out). Still, the G is is a hard sell for me given it's similar role. It's past time to have another true combat helo the likes of the Ka-50. The S is...good. The W would be so much better.

I'd fly the AH-1G in a Vietnam map, but my true want is an AH-1F (AH-1S Step 3) along with a Fulda Gap map.

Ditto, at least if the Super Cobra didn't pan out to be a viable option. Besides the obvious in Vietnam, there's a bit more plausibility/playability as a "plain" Cobra with the F variant.

Another good region for the F could/would be pre-90s Israel as well.

Originally Posted by starsky396 viewpost.gif

Why no love for the z variant?

It's impossible to make an accurate DCS of it.

If they can make an accurate Whiskey they could probably do a very close or accurate Zulu,its just bigger engines,4 blade rotor and maybe a few minor differences in avionics.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Originally Posted by starsky396 viewpost.gif

Why no love for the z variant?

If they can make an accurate Whiskey they could probably do a very close or accurate Zulu,its just bigger engines,4 blade rotor and maybe a few minor differences in avionics.

From my understanding the W and Zulu are completely different animals. Zulu avionics are much more complex

I was in the Marines Corps from 1987-1991 and for a very short period in 1990 I was with a Cobra squadron and I would ask the Plane Captains or pilots questions about the Cobra.At the time the Marine Corps had the AH-1T and the AH-1W was new but these guys were already talking about Zulu performance and this was 24 years ago. So it may not be as classified as we may think. Just a thought.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

I'd love to see the W model in DCS, but even the G variant wouldn't be _quite_ as useless as you guys seem to think. I've used the Huey as a COIN bird a lot, and that actually works a treat if you don't pit it against too heavy an opposition - and since that works, I'm sure the G would work even better in a similar role.

I know the above is a bit far-fetched, even though the Georgians still have UH-1Hs in active service. But at least it's a working solution until we get a period-accurate environment for the AH bird to fly in.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I go for -1W. It's almost perfect for the modern scenario, given that if PilotMi8 said that they are considering to make it, this would be at the UH-1H or Mi-8MTV2 realism level

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

• ED Team

Do not hate me. . . .

I still want the G, a companion for the UH-1H

I have a dream they are skimming over palm trees . . . .

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2