AH-1 S or W? What do you want?

ericoh

AH-1 S or W? What do you want?  

839 members have voted

1. 1. AH-1 S or W? What do you want?

• AH-1G
    • AH-1S
    • AH-1W

Hi gtxc01 can you load sidewinders on the inner rail of the AH-1W?

The AH-1W must be modeled.. the apache is too far off.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well then, that makes it a seriously capable machine.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

The G and S flight models ought to be quite similar to the UH-1H, with the G being a comparatively easy model to build since the power train and rotor system are virtually identical, the reflex sight up front is almost the same, and the weapons loads are very similar as well. The Whiskey flies a good deal like a November model Huey, and my impression of the UH-1H from the game is that it's flight model is quite like that of the UH-1N. Therefore, it would seem to follow that tweaking the UH-1H flight model to that of a Whiskey ought to be a reasonable task.

As others have mentioned, the difficulty with the AH-1S and AH-1W compared to an AH-1G is the increased amount of avionics/weapons controls. As for those who like the Z, the AH-1W is just as capable as the current iteration of the AH-1Z (more capable in some respects), and having flown both (1100 hours in the W, 300 in the Zulu), I much prefer the AH-1W. The AH-1W carries a wider variety of ordnance than any other attack helicopter (try loading Sidewinders , TOW, or 5" rockets on an Apache...), so there is a lot of potential there. Plus, on the Whiskey you don't have to scroll through a bunch of MFD pages to access information, it's all right in front of you. Steam gauges have their advantages, you know....

Hire this man now !! :)

You make the W version sound so sweet, now wondering if I can change my vote :helpsmilie:

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

eeeeeWWWWW you did not vote lesser than W!

Hire this man now !! :)

You make the W version sound so sweet, now wondering if I can change my vote :helpsmilie:

It does sound sweet. It's probably not something you ever see in real life. Who knows maybe it is.. I was under the impression the Z could carry 16 hellfires, whereas the W can only carry 8? Is that true or false?

Also, whether 8 or 16 can the W carry TOWS and Hellfires at the same time? Like 4 ea. on opposite wings? Even if possible would it ever be done, or would the weight difference be too much, or some other reason?

Edited by xaoslaad

It does sound sweet. It's probably not something you ever see in real life. Who knows maybe it is.. I was under the impression the Z could carry 16 hellfires, whereas the W can only carry 8? Is that true or false?

Also, whether 8 or 16 can the W carry TOWS and Hellfires at the same time? Like 4 ea. on opposite wings? Even if possible would it ever be done, or would the weight difference be too much, or some other reason?

W can carry TOW and Hellfire at the same time, which is nice because the two systems complement each other, and we typically carried both in case one system went down or weather or target dictated one missile over the other. You are correct in that the Z weapons stations are configured to be able to carry 4 Hellfire missile launchers whereas the W could only carry 2, but there are other considerations that come into play, depending on a lot of different things.

I voted for at minimum a version that can carry the TOW to give the US/allies an offset to the Ka-50. G is just too old and not as relevant to the environment we have today. Unless they plan to roll out a whole Vietnam environment lets not lose site of the current campaign in Georgia in the near term.

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

W can carry TOW and Hellfire at the same time, which is nice because the two systems complement each other, and we typically carried both in case one system went down or weather or target dictated one missile over the other. You are correct in that the Z weapons stations are configured to be able to carry 4 Hellfire missile launchers whereas the W could only carry 2, but there are other considerations that come into play, depending on a lot of different things.

Great information! Thank you for the response. More excited and hopeful for a W than ever!

I"m SO CONFUSED WHICH ONE!!??

My system specification

i7 13700KF/ Z690 Aorus Elite/ 32GB/ Galax 4080/ ViewSonic Elite XG320Q 32/ Next level racing - Sim cockpit - Boeing editing / 3x MFD's, Trackir 5/ TPR/ Orion2 F/A-18 Throttle/VPC WarBRD Base/ Hornet grip/F-16 grip/ HP Reverb G2

:thumbup:

I like the G, much like the UH-1, just as iconic machines in themselves, but I would end up using the G like I use the Huey; just flying a very well developed helicopter because they are an awesome pleasure to fly, but not using it as a weapon of war in the DCS environment. The Huey is great fun to fly and if they developed the G i'm sure it would be of the same level. However I voted for the W, it's perfect for the DCS environment as a warfighting helicopter. The W can operate in a mission with A-10Cs, Ka-50s and Su-25s and be effective in their target environment and be an integral part of the mission. A G doesn't seem to be designed for that sort of target scenario. No doubt good missions can be made for it, but it wouldn't naturally integrate on the same level as the other aircraft do by the nature of their design. Whatever Belsimtek make, quality isn't going to be a problem. I have all their modules and they are top notch :)

I don't test for bugs, but when I do I do it in production.

• 3 weeks later...

So assuming the AH-1F appearing in the liveries forum wasn't an error, and I highly doubt it was, how satisfied is everyone satisfied with that being he outcome? It wasn't a poll option, and I'm curious as to how many would have selected if it had been.

It wasn't a poll option

It's a trick! The poll was created using the older, pre-1988, naming convention, where the AH-1S could be any of The AH-1S versions, up to and including the Step 3 upgrade, called the AH-1S(MC) prior to 1988 but was then renamed to AH-1F.

So with just a bit of naming convention gymnastics, you could say that the AH-1F is technically still an AH-1S, just the latest, most updated version of it. :D

It's a trick! The poll was created using the older, pre-1988, naming convention, where the AH-1S could be any of The AH-1S versions, up to and including the Step 3 upgrade, called the AH-1S(MC) prior to 1988 but was then renamed to AH-1F.

So with just a bit of naming convention gymnastics, you could say that the AH-1F is technically still an AH-1S, just the latest, most updated version of it. :D

well, if we get a AH-1F with the latest upgrade i'am totaly statisfied, even if the AH-1W would match much better in the upcoming F-18C scenario