AH-1 S or W? What do you want?

ericoh

AH-1 S or W? What do you want?  

839 members have voted

1. 1. AH-1 S or W? What do you want?

• AH-1G
    • AH-1S
    • AH-1W

Why would they remove the ATGM from those? They are used properly anyways.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

As far as I know, USSR / Russia never exported bore launched ATGMs to non-warsaw-pact members, if at all.

Iraqi T-72 / "Assad Babil" with ATGMs are ridiculous...

As well as we always have forces against us with full loadout.

... and if you look into the Openbeta Mission Editor's lua there is exactly this feature in the works.

What we need is to get more realistic spotting, reaction times, communications, moral reactions, self-awareness and basic tactics for AI.

As now AI is just AI with steroids.

Hopefully, yes. Until then I would be happy to "simulate" Iraqi/Irani tanks with loadout corrected.

With damage effects (speed reduced when heavily damaged, etc.) and sneaking up on enemy tanks/BMP behind trees and not spotted and engaged by a barrage of ATGM through (!) the forrest, is an improvement, already.

Realistic/adjustable loadouts for tanks and BMPs is another step.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AH-1F Please
Against what opposition? WWII 8.8 Flak and Sherman Tanks?

I would be happy to get a AH-1W with Laser Hellfires.

Blue needs an attack helicopter with a bit of a stand-off weapon.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 7 months later...

I would be happy to get a AH-1W with Laser Hellfires.

Blue needs an attack helicopter with a bit of a stand-off weapon.

This! The gazelle is the closest thing we have, but a AI tanks are sharpshooters with their ATGMs and outrange the HOT3.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Ideally id totally want the Whiskey, but IF we cant get a AH1W for whatever reason

then at the very least i would hope the planned Ah1S is a modernization Or more commonly re-designated the AH1F cobra, becuase base model Ah1S is basically just a Ah1G with better engine, and TOW Gen 1 capability TOW and even ITOW are inadequate for T72B or more modern tanks.. the Ah1f will at least have FLIR and up to TOW 2 series, a RWR, and CM dispensor, and at least has the benefit of partaken in post Cold war scenarios like Gulf war.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

What about the AH-1Z „Viper“??

probably too modern. I dont know if a AH1Z basic Operators/ FM ( yes there is one you can find online) is enough. Probably would be too much underestimation on the intricate things to model accurately.

Pesonally despite the more modern avionics id want a AH1W due to greater flexibility. the Ah1Z is incapable of utlizing TOW series misiles. Ah1W would be able to arm either TOW or Hellfires. ( or both)

sure Hellfires have longer stand off range but this paper discusses the limitations of having a hellfire only platform.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a510486.pdf

TLDR

once MBTs or IFV's start popping thier smoke screens it becomes impossible to laser guide the hellfires. modern tanks like T90 have laser warning system that can be programmed automatically trigger smoke screen. even if you can see them via FLIR you cant guide the hellfires. Smoke disrupts laser. a TOW can still be guided through a smokescreen given its a optically guided missile.

The only truely fire and forget hellfires are the ones the AH64D would use with its Longbow radar.

so not having a platform with both weapons limits versatility.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Either the S or W. We need something with TOW's, and given the ADA environment of DCS world, it needs to be as survivable as possible.

Honestly the huey cobra is cool too, but at this point there is no "fit" for it in DCS world. You get alot of the same functionality (guns/rockets) from the Huey at this point and its not particularly useful. G cobra would be cool if DCS ever did DCS-nam era.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

As have very likely answered to this thread, but still me opinion from me.

I want what F/A-18C Lot 20 is for fighters, but that for helicopters.

KA-50 is already top of a line 90's helicopter, nothing that BLUFOR has (ABRIS, Vikhr, Datalinks... Only thermal camera is lacking and full system simulation like Vikhr A-A mode and fragmentation warhead).

Coming Mi-24P already has some of those, but it is the cool paper map navigation etc.

Even gazelle is nothing like KA-50.

The more modern AH-1 would nicely bridge two eras.

But, developers do what they can.... And we should be happy for that part.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

As have very likely answered to this thread, but still me opinion from me.

I want what F/A-18C Lot 20 is for fighters, but that for helicopters.

KA-50 is already top of a line 90's helicopter, nothing that BLUFOR has (ABRIS, Vikhr, Datalinks... Only thermal camera is lacking and full system simulation like Vikhr A-A mode and fragmentation warhead).

Coming Mi-24P already has some of those, but it is the cool paper map navigation etc.

Even gazelle is nothing like KA-50.

The more modern AH-1 would nicely bridge two eras.

But, developers do what they can.... And we should be happy for that part.

--

Yea a ah1w probably should be possible. The last whiskey cobra was retired from service last year and there are no foreign users of it. All whiskeys that weren't rebuilt into vipers are going to the boneyards if they cant find export buyers for these remaining surplus rotary aircraft

Besides it would be pretty nice to have helo that can carry a pair of Aim9L or M sidewinders. the older single engined cobras the US army operated couldn't.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro