Cannon is weak

nick10

I emptied all my canon shells into a mustang and it just kept flying. A bit of smoke and that was it.

In real life three or so hits from a Dora's canons would have ripped a P-51 to shreds.

I hope this is being worked on.

Other than that - I love this bird!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you should try Olympus or Nikon next time :smilewink:

More seriously, DM sure need some work but i found cannons quite effective when shooting close enough. Few hits and down goes Mustang.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I emptied all my canon shells into a mustang....

Post a screenshot of your debrief screen next time so we can see how many shells actually hit and how many raised the metal-earth index a couple of fractions.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Yeah, you should try Olympus or Nikon next time :smilewink:

More seriously, DM sure need some work but i found cannons quite effective when shooting close enough. Few hits and down goes Mustang.

Cannon shells mostly inflict damage via chemical energy, not kinetic energy. Firing from close or long range shouldn't matter so long as you score hits.:smilewink:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Cannon shells mostly inflict damage via chemical energy, not kinetic energy. Firing from close or long range shouldn't matter so long as you score hits.:smilewink:

Well that was my point :) Shot close enough and you can actually hit something.

I just shot AI Mustang with three cannon and three MG hits in my latest fight.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A bit offtopic... Is it possible to separate cannons and MG for two different buttons?

No, not at the moment. Don't know if this will change in future.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well that was my point :) Shot close enough and you can actually hit something.

Ah, I see!:thumbup:

To those with MP experience: how quickly do player controlled P-51 go down?

I'll let you know when I actually shoot someone down. I have had lots of opportunities against human pilots where I would easily shoot them down with the P-51, but in the 190D-9 I miss like crazy.:lol:

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Well its much easier to shoot down a AI controlled P-51 when flying a Dora than what it was the other way around.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

This DM sure is broken. It took me 105 13mm MG bullets and 24 20mm cannon shells to take out the AI p-51. Yes. One hundred and five. This is my only complaint about DCS. ED please fix this!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5

Using Tacview (if that counts) clearly show that I get alot of hits, but they seem to cause very little damage.

FinnJ

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

I managed to bring down (2) AI Su-25's. The first Toad took most all of my cannon fire, and the second I brought down with just the MG's. Post flight showed they both took a fair amount of hits. I was nearly out of ammo when I touched down.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Cannon damage or how the DM perceives the damage needs a reworking. Just landed 37 cannon rounds and more than I was will to count mg but she would not go down (Ai). Most of these landed on the one wing or the fuselage. Ai was polluting the air with the 3 white trails coming from the one wing.

I'd really enjoy an official word from an ED dev on what they'll be doing about this. It's really making dogfighting a nuisance in these early fighters, (Including the F-86, seeing as its primary armament was guns as well and their MiG-15 is completely screwed too).

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

You have now been properly negotiated with.

MiG-29S Instant Action Mission Fix

Come check out and add to my list of all landmarks in DCS World!

^that works now

I am having no issue sawing the Mustang in half with a reasonable amount of shots... in this case, Me in a Dora against AI P-51D.

This +1

*sigh* this is never going to end Sith. I, as well as many of our members, also have zero issue downing AI or human P-51's. The other day on our server I downed a human 51 driver with one quick burst. The AI is almost to easy to kill lol.

[sIGPIC]DropDeadGorgeous.jpg[/sIGPIC]

I am having no issue sawing the Mustang in half with a reasonable amount of shots... in this case, Me in a Dora against AI P-51D.

+1. Its definitely possible to down an AI P-51D in a couple shots

The damage model seems pretty inconsistent, sometimes it takes many rounds from the Dora to down a P 51D, when other times it only takes a round or two in the right spot. I'll try find the track

EDIT: Found it. Guess you gotta find the right spots to shoot to take it down easy

Thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=128339

Edited by Ben.NZ

That's kind of the point of cannon. You are meant to be able to hit your target anywhere and blow bits off. It's not about having to hit the target in the right spot.

That's why cannon was introduced!

Cheers guys. I know its a beta and I'm sure these issues will be addressed.

• ED Team
Obvisouly not a track, and I may be making a bad assumption that what I see here is canon hitting with the small explosion. Then I take a good look at his belly and nothing... I did get him, but I was still a little surprised that left not a spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxd0TyPpfEw&t=0m34s

Here is what you need to remember about DCS and damage... its a texture replacement as the amount of damage increases... so you hit him very little maybe, and because of this it was not enough to cause the texture to change to the next "stage" of damage. Its not like a wall in BF4 that will show a bullet hole for the bullet you just fired...

It doesnt mean you havent done any damage to the P-51D, but that you havent done enough to cause the texture to change to the first stage of damage textures...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png