Cannon is weak

nick10

• ED Team
I think the DM is guilty as charged:

Why? Because there has been a substantial gathering of data in tracks that show that you on AVERAGE need in the order of four to five times more hits to bring down an AI in DCS compared to the IRL statistical average. There is historic data indicating that about five 20 mm hits or twenty 50-cal hits were needed to bring down a fighter on AVERAGE.

First things first though, and that is confirming that the reported hits are actually happening, and not an instance like when a projectile passes through 5 hit boxes/zones that doesnt report as 5 hits... we cant debug that right now as we have nothing to do so, its reported to ED as a starting point and I hope we can go from there...

The meat of the DM is pretty impressive if you take some time to see what it is doing, it just need refined and tweaked in a few areas...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First things first though, and that is confirming that the reported hits are actually happening, and not an instance like when a projectile passes through 5 hit boxes/zones that doesnt report as 5 hits... we cant debug that right now as we have nothing to do so, its reported to ED as a starting point and I hope we can go from there...

The meat of the DM is pretty impressive if you take some time to see what it is doing, it just need refined and tweaked in a few areas...

Ok, thanks for the update. Sounds good that this is being looked into! Considering that all other aspects of this sim are so great it would be good news indeed if the DM was tweaked some.

Another area that would be nice to fix is the uber-AI that hang up there at 100 km/h in perfect control. I realize that changing their fundamental behaviour may be difficult but one fix I can think off is to limit the lowest speed (dynamic pressure really) that they could operate at so they would be a bit more evenly matched to human pilots in terms of control ability, say limit the lowest dynamic pressure they could fly at to something like 200-250 Km/h at SL. Couldn't something like that be scriptet in? The way the AI are jerking around now in perfect control and reversing on a dime at extremely low speeds is really frustrating....

Old Crow ECM motto: Those who talk don't know and those who know don't talk........

http://www.crows.org/about/mission-a-history.html

Pilum aka Holtzauge

Yes the AI is the root of a number of issues, even this one... I have no idea if or when a revamp of the AI would be in the cards, I assume that with the extra power freed up by 2.0/EDGE, stuff like this can get another look.

Well I guess everyone understands that conceiving more realistic AI is a very challenging proposition and that this would of course be the best solution but I really think that a simple fix like a dynamic pressure limitation to the current AI model could improve peoples perception of the AI quite a bit and in addition would not need any additional processing power or require a rewamped AI coding.

Old Crow ECM motto: Those who talk don't know and those who know don't talk........

http://www.crows.org/about/mission-a-history.html

Pilum aka Holtzauge

• ED Team
Well I guess everyone understands that conceiving more realistic AI is a very challenging proposition and that this would of course be the best solution but I really think that a simple fix like a dynamic pressure limitation to the current AI model could improve peoples perception of the AI quite a bit and in addition would not need any additional processing power or require a rewamped AI coding.

Yeah, I dont know if the current AI code is in a state where they can tweak much or if it would be like EDGE and need to be redone... but we will see what the game plan is after EDGE is firmly planted and running like a champ...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

...but we will see what the game plan is after EDGE is firmly planted and running like a champ...

^This.

One step at a time. Edge is the next big project, so ED and community should focus on ironing it out and getting it bugfree before we attempt the next big project after that.

Secondly, it would be unlikely that any wing surface would be able to generate enough lift to go high g if riddled with holes.

-SnakeShit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Peace through Superior Firepower

EVERYTHING YOU'LL EVER NEED FOR LOMAC:

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/news.html

^This.

One step at a time. Edge is the next big project, so ED and community should focus on ironing it out and getting it bugfree before we attempt the next big project after that.

I think a lot of players/followers think ED works with the speed most mainstream companies do..

The more time they take, the better imo.

Secondly, it would be unlikely that any wing surface would be able to generate enough lift to go high g if riddled with holes.

Played around with the AI yesterday, not really intending on killing him but just nipping away at his aircraft in vital parts (elevator, wings and engine) and then pushing him into high speed and low speed manoeuvres.

He was leaking fuel, his radiator burst and his wings where hit + I got a load of 20mm and MG hits on the engine and canopy.

I noticed his speed dropping and his turns getting wider and wider.

Kept flying like a champ though lol, after 20 minutes (!!) I shot his wings again and they snapped. For that to happen it took a total of 5 (visible) hits on the roots of the wings.

An AI that has been hit is a bluffing AI to say the least.

Step up ur game people :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]