F15C Engagement Tactics

jcbak

I've been watching videos and reading about dog fighting tactics with the F15C. The more I read, the more confused I get. If I follow the radar procedures set out in tutorials, I get my ass handed to me on the MP servers. Flying single player missions against AI helped in learning how to operate the radar modes but not much else. I've asked questions on the MP servers of various pilots that seem to know tactics pretty well but get conflicting information. That's not a criticism. I'm sure pilots have developed their own style over time. I don't mind practicing but frankly, I don't know what to practice. Is there a set of videos or a MP server that offers tactical training?

I'm primarily an A10C pilot but would like to learn the Eagle as well......

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

One of the biggest differences between SP and MP is that experienced MP players really understand the lethality of their missiles. The AI will lob missiles at you at a given distance and then keep launching as their earlier shots fail. A player might initially fire to make you defensive, but once the range starts winding down they'll wait to fire when they're just at the edge of lethal distance. When that happens you basically need to be flying perfectly to beat them.

I have not flown online regularly for a while and the last time I tried it I was at first being shot down because I had lost the ability to judge my shots. I know that you're asking about tactics but I just wanted to point this out. Good players are that much better than AI. Taking them on 1 on 1 is going to be difficult.

Tactics wise, the biggest thing is to fly with friends and communicate. If you're going to fly alone, at least try to know where friendlies are and stick around them. The F-15 generally likes to fly high and fast. If you're going to engage someone, start accelerating (or gain altitude) while they are a ways out (50 miles). The extra speed will give your missile a good boost in performance, but note that shots beyond 15 nm are partially luck based with the current missile guidance model.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

this is a good read about BVR and missile/ECM theory.... http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=32019 ...

WVR in the eagle can be challenging, but you have the raw thrust to defeat most, if not all, airframes in the game....learning to use afterburner when turning(the eagle likes it), then shut them down quickly when heaters are fired at you or when going straight....learn to use Vertical Scan Mode when in a turn fight because it aims your radar up as high as possible, then when you lay the plane over sideways to do a hard turn on someones tail it will find them automatically for you...learn to use Boresight Mode....keymap these modes to your stick so you can switch between them swiftly, without looking away from a bandit...

...One of the best tactics once you have eyes on your target is to hit the FLODD Mode button twice to take a heater shot without giving your target any RWR warnings...once the heater is uncaged you get a pretty big boresight aiming circle...

...flying around silent works good if you can keep SA by using your others sensors instead of your radar...turn it on for looking around for a minute, then go back silent....turn it on to engage in BVR...then go silent after the merge(WVR)....works against human pilots because they lose their RWR as a sensor against you (not so much against AI)...but you must normally study the map and mission to know where the fights are and which way to go to in order to not just be sneaking to your own death...and you need good eyes(high resolution) and trackir...

...practice the F-15 instant action 1v1 BVR and 1v1 guns....once you can shoot down multiple enemy planes (AI), one after another, it turns into fuel management practice. Learning to save fuel can win a dogfight just as quickly as a good heater or gun solution...

Edited by Davis0079

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

Actually both BVR and WVR.......

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Thanks for the replies....