Antiaircraft missile manoeuvrability

Suhoj27

Please check this very interesting video from a joint Bulgarian-Serbian military exercise. You will see Serb Mig-29 firing AA-8 missile. My attention was caught from 15:35 on when the antiaircraft missiles were shot. I was not aware that these missiles are so manoeuvrable, at least if you observe their smoke trails, their motion is impressive. They are basically chasing, not intercepting their targets, at least it looks like that. I thought their pattern would be much more straightforward with little or none sudden change in directions. Here it doesn't seem to be the case.

What do you think ?

Regards

Yes they look very maneuverable but if they do such things, then it just tells me how old and inefficient their control system is.

And how unnecessarily shortened their range will be.

It looks like the missile is actually trying to move onto the LOS from launch platform to target. Very weird intercept.

We would need real numbers to assess how much more effective it would be. Theres afterall a big financial factor aswell.

Maybe its just good enought like that and therfore rather built cheaper?

Edited by ericoh

I've always wondered the same. I do believe these missiles fly lead pursuit trajectories and not true or lag pursuit, is it not? However, in the video, it seems the missile is losing-reacquiring lock on the target. Thus, the "erratic" trajectory? :)

I've always wondered the same. I do believe these missiles fly lead pursuit trajectories and not true or lag pursuit, is it not? However, in the video, it seems the missile is losing-reacquiring lock on the target. Thus, the "erratic" trajectory? :)

I'd assume that 2 meter long mock up target doesnt fly entirely straight, maybe thats why?

EDIT: After watching several AA missiles track im not sure. Theres several systems with heavy movement. But patriot for example and s-300 seem extremly straight. Maybe IR missiles that follow??

Edited by ericoh

lol,they do fly erratic yes,maybe its programmed to scare the Sh*t of the enemy as he watches and thinks..okei i'm in the clear, no wait, i'm not..oh what do i do, do i maneuver or not,do i wait ..where d hell is this missile even going..aaa to my plane..how is that possible)lol

i doubt drone target was maneuvering 5Gs to warrant such erratic missile trajectory..but it does seem to shorten the range of the missile considerably..

Not much that one can expect from such an old system I suppose, which probably accounts for the erratic intercept path. Then again, it did shoot down a F-16 amongst others so it still does the job.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Not much that one can expect from such an old system I suppose, which probably accounts for the erratic intercept path. Then again, it did shoot down a F-16 amongst others so it still does the job.

And an F-117 come to think of it. SA-3 no?

The type of guidance is also a big factor:

Is the missile controlled by an off-board director/tracking radar? (In the case of the SA-3, the guidance radar controls the missile completely. That means it provides yaw and pitch steering commands, as well as the fuze activation and possibly detonation command).

Is navigation proportional or bang-bang-or some other type?

I'd assume that 2 meter long mock up target doesnt fly entirely straight, maybe thats why?

EDIT: After watching several AA missiles track im not sure. Theres several systems with heavy movement. But patriot for example and s-300 seem extremly straight. Maybe IR missiles that follow??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The "snaking" is a characteristic of the SA-3 guidance and control.

The high speed and large warhead makes it up for the inefficiency in guidance. US/NATO pilots loathed it.

Here is another video - full engagement sequence begins at 2:00

The early Sidewinders had a snake-like path too, which supposedly gave its nickname. But it has been fixed on AIM-9D onwards.

• 2 weeks later...