How to fly at altitude?

Chief Herb

Sorry if this has been asked, a quick search found nothing. I have gone through all tutorials and the campaign through the crosswind takeoff and landing as well as the first checkpoint fly but cannot finish the navigation mission when it tells you to fly to 20,000 ft. Above 10,000 ft I slow down to about 150 mph and above 15,000 ft I cant get the plane to fly faster than 100 (with full throttle, full rpm and supercharger on high) so I am stalling if I try to climb. above 12,000 ft I turn on the supercharger and it seems to help until I am around 14,000 ft. I think I am missing something I need to do at altitude but don't know what. The plane is set identically to how the start up and takeoff tutorials have you set it, the only thing I change at altitude is the supercharger to high. Can anyone explain what I need to do and why?

You shouldn't need to do anything, except maybe open the radiators so you can leave the engine settings higher without overheating. Try a more shallow climb.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

At low altitude I can maintain a 2000 ft per min climb (I think that is what the climb indicator means when it is at +2) but at 15,000 ft if I try to climb at all I stall because I cannot get the plane to fly faster than 100 mph with level flight and full throttle, rpm, and high supercharger. I also have flown at 15,000 ft for about 15 min trying to climb like this with no success as well as no overheating (I figured I would overheat in about 5 min like that).

now I can . strange.

tried to reply, now trying to edit, I keep being asked to log in even though I am. try again later.

Edited by triumph
i am logged in

asus p6t ws pro mobo.i7 975 extreme cpu..nvid rog strix 1070 gpu.1000+w enermax psu.12 gb domi ram.twin velociraptors.w7 64..ch stick,throttle,pedals,trakir..x52 pro stick,throttle..

thrustmaster warthog

• ED Team

Let me guess... carb in FULL REACH?

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

solved ?

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Please try again, save a recording track, and post it here.

P.S. The supercharger will switch stages automatically if you leave it alone.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

As Yo-Yo said, best chances are that you're leaving your mixture control in FULL RICH and not on RUN. As you climb the mixture gets too rich (too much fuel and too low air/oxygen) and the engine can't develop enough power to keep climbing.

Question to the know ledged ones, shouldn't that reflect in the manifold pressure gauge?

• 4 weeks later...
I got it now, I was forgetting to change the mixture control to run. When Yo-Yo said "carb in full reach" I thought he meant the carb heat and ram air full foreward. Thanks for the help

We are talking the M key to do this ???? That did not work for me.

I cant see anyone just climbing up and reaching the top green square

without spending a half hour going in circles to gain altitude. If it can

be done, I sure would like to know what Im doing wrong.

Is there something I can do with the pitch of my propeller blades

to allow them to cut into the thinner air ???? Im really stuck.

Edited by ctguy1955

Is there something I can do with the pitch of my propeller blades to allow them to cut into the thinner air ???? Im really stuck.
No, the propeller blades are constant speed meaning they adjust automatically to maintain RPM. You can't adjust them manually.

As Yo-Yo said, best chances are that you're leaving your mixture control in FULL RICH and not on RUN. As you climb the mixture gets too rich (too much fuel and too low air/oxygen) and the engine can't develop enough power to keep climbing.

Question to the know ledged ones, shouldn't that reflect in the manifold pressure gauge?

So, when DO you use FULL RICH? When you have a heavy take-off load?

• ED Team
I got it now, I was forgetting to change the mixture control to run. When Yo-Yo said "carb in full reach" I thought he meant the carb heat and ram air full foreward. Thanks for the help

The time of the post was about 2 am, sorry ;) it was very possible to write even "fool rich" :D

The autopilot malfunction.

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I can only guess for what purpose "Full Rich" could be, so I have to admit I have never used that Mixture Position till today, unless by accident and that always caught my attention as my Merlin didn't like it at all.

- Very cold weather, Sea Level Altitude: I guess it could help warming up the engine ( choke like )

Any RL info on this ?

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Full rich is also required for max military power setting - 67" of MAP (evaporation of excessive fuel cools the charge and prevents pre-ignition/detonation).

CTGuy, I presume You're talking about mission 7 from the campaign, the navigation one, where You have to fly through series of gates up to 30k feet, right? I just re-did this mission and it is possible to get through all gates in one go, without circling, while using max continuous settings (46", 2700RPM) most of the time. I admit one of the legs between lower gates is steep and I barely made it by increasing MAP a bit and overheating the engine a little. I'm sure it could be done better though. The key is to keep the plane nicely trimmed, monitor the MAP all the time and "aim" the plane properly (take account of the angle of attack at lower speeds). No need to manually fiddle with mixture, supercharger or air inlet settings.

I recorded the replay, but it's too big to post as an attachment here. If you wish, I can send it to You by e-mail, just PM me.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team
Full rich is also required for max military power setting - 67" of MAP (evaporation of excessive fuel cools the charge and prevents pre-ignition/detonation).

CTGuy, I presume You're talking about mission 7 from the campaign, the navigation one, where You have to fly through series of gates up to 30k feet, right? I just re-did this mission and it is possible to get through all gates in one go, without circling, while using max continuous settings (46", 2700RPM) most of the time. I admit one of the legs between lower gates is steep and I barely made it by increasing MAP a bit and overheating the engine a little. I'm sure it could be done better though. The key is to keep the plane nicely trimmed, monitor the MAP all the time and "aim" the plane properly (take account of the angle of attack at lower speeds). No need to manually fiddle with mixture, supercharger or air inlet settings.

I recorded the replay, but it's too big to post as an attachment here. If you wish, I can send it to You by e-mail, just PM me.

FULL RICH does not increase mixture strength. It only switches off altitude correction, so the mixture gets richer as you climb. At the certain altitude it gets beyond regular flammability, so the power decreases.

Thanks for clearing this up !

Could it be that RICH also has an effect on the engine when running "half loaded", I mean with power at about middle setting ?

Some engines tend to run too lean on half-gas as we say, maybe this compensates it somewhat ?

Trial & Error... if you see me landing with a dead stick it might be one of those tries LoL CLEAR THE STRIP I AM FLOATING IN !!!

• ED Team

FULL RICH is only for emergency operation in the case of altitude automatics malfunction.

I can't tell you how many times now that I tried. I don't understand how my campaign now says I'm on number 12 instead of number 8 going on number 9. I have never made it

up to the highest square and have tried so many times. ((( unless its counting my failures as campaigns ???)))

I looked for a control thing to print out, but the only one I found was for Black Shark.

I know nothing about tweaking the little things. At least Ive had enough practice that

I can land pretty well now, Im thankful for that !!!

Edited by ctguy1955