FPS drops when looking at Ai units

lukeyu2005

Hey guys

Basically i can take off and fly around with no ai units on the map it get nice 50 to 60 fps with all the settings on high.

but when I go in to campaign or any scenario with lots of units. if i look in the general direction of the battle (even if it's 20 km away) I get about 15 to 20 fps this happens regardless of graphics setting. This happens too on multiplayer.

I'm pretty sure I just need to a new processor but I want to make sure before I go out spend a good few hundred dollars.

Here are my system specs.

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor 2.80 Ghz

Graphics :Sorry I forgot what exact card it is. But the AMD vision engine control centre tells me.

It's a AMD Radeon HD7800 series

2gb of video memory memory clock 1250mhz

Graphics core clock 920 Mhz.

I'm pretty sure it's not my graphics card. Coz I brought it pretty recently and it wasn't cheap.

And

Memory: 6GB

I'm running win 7 64 bit.

Cheers. Thanks if you can help

Edited by lukeyu2005

Try to reinstall GPU driver. And maybe + 2GB ram...

Edited by Falcon_S

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Another thing that can help is to make sure you are using AMD drivers from 14.4 or later. There was quite a jump in performance when 14.4 was released for most users.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Your PC is rather slow. In particular, the CPU. Currently DCS is more CPU based, although moving to a faster GPU can help to. AMD GPUs also do not run very well with DCS at the moment.

The only way to solve your issues is to upgrade your PC. I would hold out and see how DCS runs once the DCS EDGE engine gets released. By then the next generation of graphics cards will be out.

Definitely a CPU bottleneck... up until recently I was playing on a 2.5GHz CPU (albeit with 8 cores, for all the good it did :P ) and I had the same issues. It was frustrating because didn't matter whether I had the settings on high or low, if there was any significant action going on I was going to be flying in a slideshow, usually in the 15-25 range, but instant action missions were usually up in the 45+ FPS range.

A few months ago I upgraded to a i5-4670K which has been happy to run on a 24-7 overclock to 4.5 GHz (air cooled). Now dips to 30 FPS are the worse I ever really see, and even those are a rare occasion, like a CBU-87 on a busy mission. For the most part it's 45-60FPS, more towards the 60 FPS side things.

I highly recommend that processor, and it's relatively affordable if you re-use your GPU (which should be fine for DCS) along with some other current hardware. I was able to do my upgrade for roughly $600 (<- which took some sweet talking to the wife), but it was worth every penny.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

The official campaigns are indeed FPS killers. Mainly caused by the particle explosion effects when massive AI units engage each other and many explosion happens. The current game engine only use 2 core of your CPU. So high frequency CPU is needed.

You may set the scene option at low, thus the particle effect decreased, the fps improved a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
It's a AMD Radeon HD7800 series

From ED's point of view: Try installing a graphics card. Or wait ages for EDGE / DCS 2.0.0

Written by a 6950 driver who has no joy in DCS with more than 5 objects on the map as well.

PS: Never ever use your guns, cluster bombs or rocket pods. And never ever let a single AI unit do so.

;)

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Definitely a CPU bottleneck... up until recently I was playing on a 2.5GHz CPU (albeit with 8 cores, for all the good it did :P ) and I had the same issues. It was frustrating because didn't matter whether I had the settings on high or low, if there was any significant action going on I was going to be flying in a slideshow, usually in the 15-25 range, but instant action missions were usually up in the 45+ FPS range.

A few months ago I upgraded to a i5-4670K which has been happy to run on a 24-7 overclock to 4.5 GHz (air cooled). Now dips to 30 FPS are the worse I ever really see, and even those are a rare occasion, like a CBU-87 on a busy mission. For the most part it's 45-60FPS, more towards the 60 FPS side things.

I highly recommend that processor, and it's relatively affordable if you re-use your GPU (which should be fine for DCS) along with some other current hardware. I was able to do my upgrade for roughly $600 (<- which took some sweet talking to the wife), but it was worth every penny.

I have the same 4670K CPU and can confirm how great it is, i also use a HD7850 2gb and it runs perfectly with that.