P-51D Alabama Rammer Jammer skin

Basco1

Guys,is there somebody that recreate 2nd Lt Arthur C.Cundy's P-51D,'Alabama Rammer Jammer',from 352nd FS,353rd FG of period October 1944?

I know 'Archangel' created a superb later version of this skin,but this is an ealier version.

It is quite different,to his later version,for a start it has the black squadron codes on the fuselarge,minus the yellow outline,which was painted/applied only to the later version.The 'B' code has a small dash beneath the letter 'B'on both sides.

It also sports the black vertical stripes on the wings and tail,as well as a horizontal black stripe across the tail.On this version he only has the one kill,there is also a text within a yellowish patch aft of the aircraft name on the port side.

The B/W pictures at the bottom,show Cundy and other members of 353rd FG crowding around this very said aircraft,note the one kill sign under the opened canopy,the last B/W picture shows Cundy and group standing on the starboard side of this aircraft.

I have contacted Archangel but he has not been on here since March so maybe he has gone elsewhere now.I think this is a real beauty of a skin and would love to see it's creation so if there is a skinner out there that could do justice to this aicreaft I would be really grateful,thank you. :thumbup:

AlabamaRJ001.jpg

AlabamaRammerJammer001.jpg

AlabamaRammerJammer002.jpg

AlabamaRammerJammer001-Copy.jpg

AlabamaRJ002.jpg

44-73990-Copy.jpg

Edited by Basco1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Guys,is there somebody that recreate 2nd Lt Arthur C.Cundy's P-51D,'Alabama Rammer Jammer',from 352nd FS,353rd FG of period October 1944?

I know 'Archangel' created a superb later version of this skin,but this is an ealier version.

It is quite different,to his later version,for a start it has the black squadron codes on the fuselarge,minus the yellow outline,which was painted/applied only to the later version.The 'B' code has a small dash beneath the letter 'B'on both sides.

It also sports the black vertical stripes on the wings and tail,as well as a horizontal black stripe across the tail.On this version he only has the one kill,there is also a text within a yellowish patch aft of the aircraft name on the port side.

The B/W pictures at the bottom,show Cundy and other members of 353rd FG crowding around this very said aircraft,note the one kill sign under the opened canopy,the last B/W picture shows Cundy and group standing on the starboard side of this aircraft.

I have contacted Archangel but he has not been on here since March so maybe he has gone elsewhere now.I think this is a real beauty of a skin and would love to see it's creation so if there is a skinner out there that could do justice to this aicreaft I would be really grateful,thank you. :thumbup:

Looks like an interesting project. I have only worked on A-10C skins.....is there a layered template file for the P-51?

[edit] Never mind, I found the template on DCS main site.

Edited by Marmusman

Yeah,this is a real beauty Marmusman,if I can help you in anyway you only have to pm me mate :thumbup:

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

I really like this one as well. I have been working on a new bare metal template that would be a good base for anyone wanting to make this one. If I get some time I'll see if I can give it my best attempt.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

Thanks Whiplash,yes please join the party,it deserves the best :thumbup:

EDIT:I have noticed on closer study that the name of the aircraft 'ALABAMA RAMMER JAMMER' is outlined in a yellow outline just for reference.

Edited by Basco1

Thanks Whiplash,yes please join the party,it deserves the best :thumbup:

EDIT:I have noticed on closer study that the name of the aircraft 'ALABAMA RAMMER JAMMER' is outlined in a yellow outline just for reference.

Thanks, hopefully I can do it justice. I see what you mean by the yellow, I just did a quick google search for it. The text I used is from here. I threw it up on my bare metal template and did some work on the nose during my lunch break. Using some other stuff I have done on my other projects the rest should go pretty fast.

718a3dc5-bd6d-4f97-abc6-d507507b7b5d_zps8de74236.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Wow........very nice!........are you aware Whiplash that the checkered section at the front is a little wider,and has three sets of checkers along it's width?

That's a very nice bare metal finish base mate.

Edited by Basco1

Wow........very nice!........are you aware Whiplash that the checkered section at the front is a little wider,and has three sets of checkers along it's width?

That's a very nice bare metal finish base mate.

ha ha I am now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Might want to look closer at the name, its "Rammer" not "Rammep." I see from the picture it sort of looks like a P but closer inspection reveals some of the paint on the R is scraped/worn off. Might be able to recreate the look by using an R and then erase a portion of it.

Might want to look closer at the name, its "Rammer" not "Rammep." I see from the picture it sort of looks like a P but closer inspection reveals some of the paint on the R is scraped/worn off. Might be able to recreate the look by using an R and then erase a portion of it.

@Shahdoh,Yes,the right leg of the 'R' has just worn away,although the outline is still there........the whole aircraft is quite weathered actually.

Here's a close up pic.

AlabamaRJ002-Copy.jpg

Edited by Basco1

Wow,Whiplash that is very nice mate,woot,what a skin!.........:thumbup:

Thanks! I won't say that though lol. Each one of those shots were taken at the best angle. The way the graphics engine renders bare metal at its current state leaves a lot to be desired. What I would do to see these in edge.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.......This is just beautiful Whiplash,I'm lovin' it,thank you sooo much :notworthy:

Glad you guys like it. Thanks Basco and everyone else for all your positive input. I've uploaded the skin to the user files, once the mods get a chance to screen it, it should be available to download here:

352nd FS, 353rd FG - Arthur C. Cundy's "Alabama Rammer Jammer"

attachment.php?attachmentid=102991&stc=1&d=1408300503

attachment.php?attachmentid=102996&stc=1&d=1408300717

attachment.php?attachmentid=102993&stc=1&d=1408300526

attachment.php?attachmentid=102994&stc=1&d=1408300526

attachment.php?attachmentid=102995&stc=1&d=1408300526

Screen_140817_111333.thumb.jpg.da7d692315dd46aeb316963cc7529368.jpg

Screen_140817_091535.thumb.jpg.03ffdfa60e215b857ce3aab8deccb0d7.jpg

Screen_140817_091850.thumb.jpg.aaba4e536e3175010b68f5e2c092dc64.jpg

Screen_140817_092316.thumb.jpg.8bf1a1da50786d9bd6dbcb6ea6a897f2.jpg

Screen_140817_090853.thumb.jpg.bd6ff867f5c9fc7dedc021b3b044df17.jpg

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Man.....that is one hell of a skin!!!!!!!!!!!...........thank you very,very much Whiplash,beautiful :thumbup:

Absolutely stunning Whiplash,that metal finish is just superb!..............sorry about the cowling colour my fault I think,but hey this is the end result,an absolute beauty,thank you very much sir :thumbup:

• Like 1

Eye candy:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

Did some flying yesterday. Mighty fine template Whiplash, easily on par with the one by Tom Weiss. Aluminum finish looks really good not only during romantic sunsets ;) but in a bright daylight as well. Do You consider using it for some Pacific/Korea liveries by any chance :D?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Wow. That's outstanding work!

I have a couple of questions that have probably been answered elsewhere but I can't seem to find them.

Number 1, can you get the bare metal finish to look that way by just bumping up the video settings in DCS and selecting the proper skin? I've had some bare metal skins that didn't look shiny at all, but were dull gray. I thought I had my settings bumped up after getting a nicer graphics card but maybe I'm missing a setting.

Number 2, what can anyone tell me about the SPEC files. If I remember right, those are to make the finish either dull or shiny when the textures are applied. Is that correct? The follow up would be, are the whiter areas in the SPEC files shinier and the blacker areas more dull? I've seen some SPEC files with a lot of pink and yellow and I've seen others with just black and white.

Thanks, and again, that's an awesome skin. I do believe I'm going to have to find that and put it in my stable.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]