afn2 homing?

I had success with the AFN2 and user created radio transmitters (for the appropriate frequencies). But I only checked it briefly - all I can say is that I saw the needles move when the radio was set to "Abst." for the appropriate channel.

That damn gauge is placed at the most inaccessible location in the plane EVER. Damn you, huge EZ42 ... :o)

That damn gauge is placed at the most inaccessible location in the plane EVER. Damn you, huge EZ42 ... :o)

Hmm, that brings to mind that maybe an unarmed FW-190 trainer version, (e.g. A8/U1, see image attached) would be another nice addition to DCS, similar to the TF-51D. Having such a trainer variant would allow us to properly learn how to navigate using AFN2 homing, without the gunsight getting in our way. :)

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Hmm, that brings to mind that maybe an unarmed FW-190 trainer version, (e.g. A8/U1, see image attached) would be another nice addition to DCS, similar to the TF-51D. Having such a trainer variant would allow us to properly learn how to navigate using AFN2 homing, without the gunsight getting in our way. :)

I kinda really want a TFw-190 now.

i7 4790k @ 4.4, 32GB RAM, RX480 GTR

I fly it all.

I had success with the AFN2 and user created radio transmitters (for the appropriate frequencies). But I only checked it briefly - all I can say is that I saw the needles move when the radio was set to "Abst." for the appropriate channel.

so what is the frequency range of the AFN2?

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

• 4 weeks later...

How exactly have you done this? I have tried it myself but the damned needles won't move. :(

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

thx very much Flagrum!nice finding!it is indeed working if set up correctly in the ME.

i guess its not working totally correct yet:

-i think a red warning lamp in the center of the gauge should indicate that you passed a beacon?

-in il2 1946 the needle changed the direction when you flew over a beacon.it made a difference whether flying towards or away from the beacon, so you had to either "turn into the needle" or "turn away from the needle"

but in general, its working, and usable for missions!big thx for that finding!

EDIT: just building a mission with it where it is will be needed.ill post it here later.

thx very much Flagrum!nice finding!it is indeed working if set up correctly in the ME.

i guess its not working totally correct yet:

-i think a red warning lamp in the center of the gauge should indicate that you passed a beacon?

-in il2 1946 the needle changed the direction when you flew over a beacon.it made a difference whether flying towards or away from the beacon, so you had to either "turn into the needle" or "turn away from the needle"

but in general, its working, and usable for missions!big thx for that finding!

EDIT: just building a mission with it where it is will be needed.ill post it here later.

I think there are two different functionalities that the afn2 provides:

1. simple homing on any radio source
  2. ADF with special radio beacons ("Zielflug"?)

Simple homing seems to work, as we have seen. But the beacons needed for 2) are not (yet?) implemented in DCS. (OR maybe existing beacons need just additional frequencies?). This is, I believe, why the manual states "not implemented" for the AFN2 ...

I think, that red lamp is part of 2).

But for your second point, iirc the vertical needle does change it's direction. When I flew over the transmitter, the needle was slightly to the left as the ground unit was a tad bit left under my wing. After passing it, the needle jumped to the right. But I did not really test this in detail.

• ED Team

Anyone seen any real world documentation on how this is supposed to function? Would like to read up on it some more, but nice find thought for sure, you can even set a structure to trasnmit the single if you dont want a modern MBT in your WWII mission :)

Does anyone know if sound was transmitted during real use of this?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I've set up a ground unit that transmits at 41.0 AM (= radio channel 3) and switched the radio to "Abst.". That's it.

See attached track/mission for an simple example (but don't judge my flying, lol!)

Strange. I have done this with 40.4 Mhz AM and set channel 1 and 2 to 40.4 Mhz without any success. Does AFN-2 only work with channel 3?

I will try channel 3 instead...

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

Anyone seen any real world documentation on how this is supposed to function? Would like to read up on it some more, but nice find thought for sure, you can even set a structure to trasnmit the single if you dont want a modern MBT in your WWII mission :)

Does anyone know if sound was transmitted during real use of this?

Maybe this could interest you: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129912 , but I try to dig up something more AFN2 specific.

But so far as my understandng goes, the AFN2 was operating in two different ways. The simpler radio homing as we know it from other aircrafts already and what I demonstrated in my test mission ("Abst." at the mode selector switch) - any radio transmission would do.

And then the "Zielflugverfahren" where special ground beacons were used. I think, the indicator light of he AFN2 was used for this purpose (only). What I don't know, yet, is, how this method was utilized in practice and of what nature those beacons were, i.e. what they transmitted, etc.

Edited by Flagrum

Strange. I have done this with 40.4 Mhz AM and set channel 1 and 2 to 40.4 Mhz without any success. Does AFN-2 only work with channel 3?

I will try channel 3 instead...

Two things: don't use channel I. It function differs from the others and/or is not (yet?) (correctly?) impemented in DCS. See here for some details: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129912 :o)

Second thing: don't play around with the channel selector too much. There is still the bug present that transmissions get mixed up if you change a radio frequency while the transmission is still being sent.

So my guess would be, you tried it first at ch. I, didn't work, switched to ch. II ... and boom, all screwed up. :o)

Just use one channel and stay on it - with the correct frequency configured, either II, III and IV should work.