HOTAS Warthog with Su-25T

Stardrifter

I recently purchased a HOTAS Warthog and wanted to play around with the Su-25T. I was disappointed to find that in the settings, there was no way to get the throttle quadrant's switches to work properly (that I could find.) For instance, the flaps switch has 3 settings: Up, Maneuver and Down. The game however only recognizes 2 of those positions (up and down). This is true for all other switches. For instance, I wanted to map my Laser Designator to the EAC switch on the throttle, but it will only recognize the "up" or on position of that switch, not the down switch. So to turn the laser off after turning it on, I have to flip the switch down and then back up. Every switch behaves like this. Is there some way to fix this? I've looked for tutorials and .lua profiles that utilize the switches to no avail. I figured if any game could make full use of the Warthog, it would be DCS.

• Like 1

To be honest I think this is more of an issue with the default HOTAS configuration via the drivers. In all sims / games I run into this problem, unless I use TARGET software, alls 3 way switches won't give a signal in the centre position.

And yes this sucks and should go towards the wishlist section, the A10C can do it, so probably there is a workaround/access to those functions if the devs really want.

Do a search and you`ll find how to edit the .lua for the controls to set middle position on these buttons.

i know its annoying as hell the way it is and many of us are in the same boat (except when using A10C which has a fully functional warthog profile already built in)

on that same note , its also annoying that you cant cycle HUD mods on simple modeled airplanes and have to assign different buttons for all mods.

p.s

Like the poster above me stated - you can use TARGET and get all buttons and positions to work , if you only fly SU25T its reasonable solution but unacceptable when you fly pretty much everything the sim offers and sometimes several aircraft in a single MP session

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the replies. I messed around with TARGET when I first got the Warthog and was fairly overwhelmed, but I'll re-approach if because I'll definitely sleep better at night about my purchase with a fully functioning setup. I had a hard time understanding how the program worked, but it seems like TARGET allows you to "define" buttons or switches that DCS will then recognize in the control setup? I will make a project out of it tomorrow. I generally fly only one plane per MP session so that shouldn't be a problem.

Okay, so after quite a bit of time spent creating a TARGET profile for the Su-25T, I realized that I have no idea of which executable to use in the target path when creating an association. I tried Lancher.exe and DCS.exe inside the bin folder (I'm using Steam version.) I also tried doing what the TARGET manual said and copy/paste the target from the desktop shortcut created by Steam, but that doesn't work as the desktop shortcut is actually an internet shortcut that calls upon Steam. Anyone know which executable I should be using?

Also, I am seeing that the .lua files used to be easy to edit to add the "up" and "down" position of switches, however the new files seem to have no such way to add those changes. For instance, the middle position of the flaps is not technically a "button" recognized by Windows or DCS, so I can't add it in now that the .lua files are different. Any ideas?

I'm going to try to find the files that the A-10C uses and see what is different about them that causes them to recognize all of the switch states. I'm assuming they're either older .lua files... will report back if I solve my own problem but if anyone else has already gone through this, please let me know. Thanks!

EDIT: So, indeed the A-10C is using the older .lua format which allows for much more intensive editing of switch states such as recognition of both up and down positions. I'm going to read up on how to use this format for DCS World if possible.

Edited by Stardrifter

The issue here is the way the hardware works many switches have an "off" position. On other words, swith up = button 25, switch down = button 26, switch in the middle = nothing. In order for the switch to do something in the middle, you need to set an "onRelease" macro. When you stop pressing button 25, do <this>.

If you don't like the T.A.R.G.E.T. software, there are third party applications like pinnacle game pro.

A really easy way to configure it is with Helios, you can map both on and off switch states

I wouldn't consider Helios an easier way to program the Warthog than Target.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: