Legitimate Reasons Why Wingman Won't Engage Targets

kontiuka

Ok, the wingman logic is flawed and sometimes just baffling but there are times where there is a somewhat legitimate reason why they don't respond or won't obey orders. I thought I'd compile a list.

1. You're using the wrong radio or radio frequency to issue the order or your radio isn't on.

2. Your wingman doesn't have the appropriate weapons. If you tell your wingman to attack with Mavs, make sure he actually has some.

3. Your wingman is so badly damaged that he is returning to base.

4. Your SPI is too far away from the target. It's best to set your SPI as close to a target as possible.

5. Your wingman is preoccupied with a bandit.

6. The targets are already accounted for. For example, if you tell your 3 wingmen to engage 2 tanks, 1 of your wingmen won't engage.

7. The target was destroyed by another group while your wingman was en route to the target.

8. You're trying to tell your wingman to engage targets that aren't within detection range. For example, telling your wingman to attack air defence targets when there are none nearby or within line-of-sight.

9. The target has the 'Perform Command: Invisible' Mission Editor option enabled.

10. Wingman is low on fuel.

If you can think of other reasons, I'll add them.:)

Edited by kontiuka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Is there a way to determine why?

Understand that this is an older thread, and there are reasons why Wingmen wont engage. But is there a way to determine why they wont other then looking for signs as to radios, health etc? Like a simple couple of commands I have missed somewhere.

Sorry if off topic, could not find a better post to put it on, also relatively new to formums.

Edited by uniform
Wanted to change Title

Understand that this is an older thread, and there are reasons why Wingmen wont engage. But is there a way to determine why they wont other then looking for signs as to radios, health etc? Like a simple couple of commands I have missed somewhere.

Sorry if off topic, could not find a better post to put it on, also relatively new to formums.

Hi. No, there's no real way to know why a wingman won't engage without cheating. Like pressing F2 and seeing that he is damaged or out of weapons. It would be nice as a future feature if wingman told you why they won't engage, ex. "negative. out of mavs" or something like that. They will tell you when they are bingo fuel or when they've been hit and also when they've fired a missile or dropped a bomb so you can almost deduce why they won't engage from that.

I have found it helpful to wait until my wingmen report to me that they have contacted a target ie. armor, air defenses etc. and then I give the command to attack said target. Works most of the time UNLESS as was listed so aptly by kontiuka, there is a reason they can't at which all I get as a response is "unable". Gotta wait until THEY see the targets in the mission.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
18 minutes ago, hreich said:

(9) years later and wingman still doesnt attack ground targets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may want to look for a place where your criticism fits. This thread was obviously not intended to vent emotions, and instead to help players understand why wingmen sometimes don't attack assigned targets. If you can't add to that list, do it elsewhere.

That said, I find that the general commands "attack ground targets", "attack air defenses" and so on work reasonably well, and have done so for many years.

Players genouinely looking for help should always include a detailed description of the situation at hand, include their exact DCS version number in their report, and always include a short track (or maybe a video) showcasing the exact problem. Otherwise, the response might be "Works for me" and no one's the wiser.

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 1