F-86F Sabre Skins - Combined Threads

drPhibes

@markuscha

Could you please update your beautiful German Sabre skins to work with the new DCS version?

EDIT:

I was able to remove the USAF codes from the skin with the instructions from http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=130419

Edited by f4l0

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, DOH! After further searching I found the answer.

>-Download the empty.dds from my thread, (Most Liveries have this already to make the stock BORT Numbers invisible.)

-Place it in the same folder as the livery textures/description.lua

-Open the Description.lua and add:

Code:

{"F86_MAIN", 3,"empty", false},

Just a couple of questions:

- I have installed the italian PAN skin...but I see american insigna on model too. What's wrong?

- secon question is...I'm a bit confusing about how to add a skin into DCS. In this thread I read to put skin into CoreMods folder...in other threads there are other way to do that...any cohomprensive post to understand this? For example, in this thread the info are: place folder into the CoreMods/Aircraft folder. Why not in Bazar/liveries folder? Sorry for silly question..

Screen_140921_104457.jpg

Edited by Vespa

To install a livery properly, just do the following:

1) Check in your installation folder to see if this exists:

C:\Program Files:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Liveries\F-86F Sabre

2) If the "F-86F Sabre" folder doesn't exist under Bazar\Liveries, create it. Make sure to name it exactly as above.

3) Drop the entire downloaded (and unzipped) folder into that F-86F Sabre folder and you should be good.

As for the USAF markings showing up, this is because with the last patch (which came out after the above skin), the method by which the markings are added has changed and the description.lua for that aircraft is no longer configured to omit those markings. In other words, the descrition.lua is out of date and needs to be updated. But it's very simple, and you can fix it yourself.

Using notepad, open up the "description.lua" for your frecce tricolour skin (If installed properly, it should be in your \Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Liveries\F-86F Sabre\Frecce Tricolori 2 folder).

It will look like this:

livery = {

{"F86_MAIN", 0, "F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false};

{"F86_BORT NUMBER_01", 3,"empty", false},

{"F86_BORT NUMBER_10", 3,"empty", false},

{"F86_BORT NUMBER_100", 3,"empty", false},

{"F86_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_01", 3, "empty", false},

{"F86_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_10", 3, "empty", false},

{"F86_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_100", 3, "empty", false},

{"F86_BORT NUMBER_01", 0,"F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false},

{"F86_BORT NUMBER_10", 0,"F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false},

{"F86_BORT NUMBER_100", 0,"F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false},

{"F86_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_01", 0,"F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false},

{"F86_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_10", 0,"F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false},

{"F86_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_100", 0,"F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false},

{"Fuel_Tank_120gal", 0, "fuel_tank_120gal", false},

{"F86_PYLONS", 0, "f-86f_pylons", false},

}

name = "Frecce Tricolori 2"

countries = {"USA", "UK"}

All you have to do is add one line - as highlighted below:

livery = {

{"F86_MAIN", 0, "F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false};

{"F86_MAIN", 3, "empty", false};

{"F86_BORT NUMBER_01", 3,"empty", false},

{"F86_BORT NUMBER_10", 3,"empty", false},

{"F86_BORT NUMBER_100", 3,"empty", false},

{"F86_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_01", 3, "empty", false},

{"F86_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_10", 3, "empty", false},

{"F86_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_100", 3, "empty", false},

{"F86_BORT NUMBER_01", 0,"F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false},

{"F86_BORT NUMBER_10", 0,"F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false},

{"F86_BORT NUMBER_100", 0,"F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false},

{"F86_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_01", 0,"F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false},

{"F86_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_10", 0,"F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false},

{"F86_BORT_NUMBER_TAIL_100", 0,"F-86F_MAIN_DIF_Frecce2", false},

{"Fuel_Tank_120gal", 0, "fuel_tank_120gal", false},

{"F86_PYLONS", 0, "f-86f_pylons", false},

}

name = "Frecce Tricolori 2"

...save it, close, and you should be good to go.
Edited by chris2525

Great...the skin is now displaied properly.

chris2525...I can take advantage of your kindness? One more question: what make me crazy is to understand how DCS recognize the correct skin I have selectred. I mean...to load the Frecce Tricolori skin, in the Fast Scenario DCS menu I selected Italy as country....but....if I read the description.lua file in the Frecce Tricolori folder I read:

Can I select the skin somewhere while in game?

I'm assuming that...

determines which countries this livery is available to, but adding Italy to that list doesn't seem to add the livery to Italy in the mission builder. Maybe "Italy" has an odd naming convention? I'm not sure. Sorry.

[edit] Yes, it was a strange naming convention. Italy is referred to as "ITA" for the purpose of the description.lua. So where you see:

change it to read:

countries = {"USA", "UK", "ITA"}

Edited by chris2525

Sounds good...but the main issue...I don't understand where to select the skin....I mean, in the Bazar/Liveries/F-86F Sabre folder I have installed the Frecce Tricolori folder with description.lua file inside plus dds files, I have installed your great folder skin too, including its own description.lua and dds files inside ...but....there is no way to select my preferred skin while in game.... I now realized that selecting country I don't select skin. What am I missing?

Sounds good...but the main issue...I don't understand where to select the skin....I mean, in the Bazar/Liveries/F-86F Sabre folder I have installed the Frecce Tricolori folder with description.lua file inside plus dds files, I have installed your great folder skin too, including its own description.lua and dds files inside ...but....there is no way to select my preferred skin while in game.... I now realized that selecting country I don't select skin. What am I missing?

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.

You can select the paint scheme in the mission editor under the loadout screen. You'll see the option for paint scheme at the bottom of the right hand panel, under the loadout tab.

loadout.thumb.png.3ab73c3f00d45b1565a902c29d82fd73.png

Now just a question since I'm curios...maybe the answer could come in handy for someone else...is there any difference placing folder skin (including description.lua file and dds graphic files) into the CoreMods/Aircraft/{aircraft name}/Liveries just instead into the Bazar/Liveries/{Aircraft name} folder?

Is there any reason for which we can add skins in two different DCS sub-folder?

It works both ways, I started out experimenting with skins by creating a new Liveries folder inside the F86 in the CoreMods folder and decided to leave it there, others did it the other way, both appear to work okay.

There was an explanation of why the folders are set up the way they are on another thread recently, but I did not get into that, my motto is "If it works be happy" !!!!

New RCAF Skins uploaded

Three new skins uploaded to DCS, now I should really go back and update the old ones to the new version :-/

Sabre Mk.5 23187 of 434 "Bluenose" Squadron, 3 Fighter Wing, RCAF Station Zweibrücken, West Germany, circa 1955.

dcs2014-09-1916-53-12-65_zps498a306f.jpg

A couple of training birds:

Sabre Mk.5 23362 of Conversion Flight, No. 1 Operational Training Unit, RCAF Station Chatham, New Brunswick, Canada, circa 1957.

dcs2014-09-2115-49-51-84_zpsebea8dcc.jpg

chatham-7_zps5fab68ab.jpg

...and a stable mate, 23213 of Tactical Flight, 1 OTU, Chatham.

dcs2014-09-2115-51-55-59_zps201e8b65.jpg

Sab010_zps391af081.jpg

Awaiting approval...

• Like 1

They both worked for me. As a matter of fact, when I had the "skins" in both locations, they actually appeared twice in the "Livery" selection page of the Mission Editor. I simply deleted all those in the CoreMods folder and now simply have one of each to choose from.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

I have updated my Australian Skins, i have also removed them from the DCS site. I am anticipating that a rework will need to be done in the future and i will continue with better skins once EDGE appears. So in the meantime here is a Dropbox link were you can download the Australian Sabre skins i made from the previous patch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyxfridn85fq5yi/Struts%20Aust%20F86%20Skins%20v3%20as%20at%2022Sep14.7z?dl=0

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE