Missiles and fighters that oppose MiG-21

PLAAF

Hi Leath. I just found out your MiG-21 project not long ago.

I must say this looks great. Cold war fighters are the best~!!:thumbup:

Since there are MiG-21 era missiles like R-13 in game, are you going to make missiles oppose MiG-21 from that era as well?

Missiles like AIM-9E-3, AIM-9G and AIM-7E to be used on F-4.

Also, correct me if I am wrong. But to my knowledge, those 2nd Generation (some classify them as the 3rd Gen under different way of classification) fighter can be roughly categorised in:

Close combat fighter, fighter like MiG-21 and F-5 which are excellent at close combat.

Frontline fighters like MiG-23 and F-4 which has BVR capability

and Interceptors like MiG-25 and F-108 which can fly at very high altitude and high speed.

I saw those polls in your forum which made me wonder, are you going to make all those 2nd Generation fighters eventually (well, maybe not F-108, but no one cares about it anyway)?

Please let us know so we can start hoping and waiting :thumbup:

Thanks.

qLjvyQ3.png

My Adorable Communist Errand Girls  🙂

Led by me, the Communist Errand Panda 🥰

MiG-21bis is still in service with many countries (or has been until fairly recently). In fact, some scenarios when MiG-21bis went against (or shall we say tried to do its business and not get shot down by) F-15Cs and F-16Cs (or F-16A MLUs) carrying AMRAAM and AIM-9M happened in 1999 during the NATO bombing of Serbia.

One of my friends who flew MiG-21MF also described some of the tactics that MiG-21s would be employed in, such as attacking AWACS by flying low until directly under it, zoom climbing and shooting it from below. Acceptable losses would have been one squadron of MiGs for one AWACS shot down. So - in reality - duking it out mano y mano vs. comparable opponent armed with comparable weapons in comparable numbers was not really commonplace.

As for me, I'll enjoy fighting against F-5s and F-4s and merrily run away from anything that carries AMRAAMs :).

In fact, some scenarios when MiG-21bis went against (or shall we say tried to do its business and not get shot down by) F-15Cs and F-16Cs (or F-16A MLUs) carrying AMRAAM and AIM-9M happened in 1999 during the NATO bombing of Serbia.

No, only MiG-29 was used for air combat. MiG-21 was used for ground attacks. In a few instances, the 21s were armed with R-60x4, but never took off in such configuration.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.