will FFARs ever get fixed.

been away for awhile, racing cars with rFactor, finally DL'd the 1.12 patch and started to fly the A10 again. Forgot how useless rockets were. Lined up a column of trucks (no armour) and fired off 64 rockets all along the path. Amazing fireworks and low and behold no truck hit, as per usual. There still seems to be zero splash damage with rockets.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Rockets aren't supposed to have a lot of splash damage are they? I can't imagine something going that fast would create much damage except for a direct hit or near-miss.

In any case, isn't splash damage in general a bit undermodelled in LOMAC? i.e. the Mk-84?

sigzk5.jpg

Guest IguanaKing

Heh...I'd be happy to first see ED put the correct launchers on the A-10. LAU-68s or 131s, 7-tube launchers, are what belong on the A-10...NOT 19-tube launchers. I agree though...overpressure and primary/secondary frag effects are not properly modelled in LOMAC. If they were some day modelled correctly, perhaps we might even be allowed to set CBU burst height. Just a wish list and observations ED...LOVE the game, but it could still use some improvement. :icon_supe

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

way i see it is, never ever fire your rockets from a distance, get real close and you'll end up with more kills, basically, fire the rockets just as you are approaching the target, = less spread and more chance of a kill.

well thats the way i do it, firing them from 1k out = bad move = nothing hit unless its got luck on its side.

I agree on the splash damage, but loose em off real close to the target and your chance's of a kill increase dramatically...

It's just that the Russian rocket pods aren't effected like this. The Russian rockets seem to have a splash damage range, while the FFARs need a direct hit to destroy a target.

Reading up on the FFAR the basic warhead is a 10lb high exsposive charge. Doing a quick google search the bombs used in the London Tube terror attacks were believed to be 10lb of exsplosives, so you have an idea of the force there (and that's not even concidering the fragmentation effect that would go along with it)

So when I loose 38 rockets into a column of 6 vehicles, with multiple strikes within 10ft of the trucks, I have a pretty good idea that the target would be destroyed.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

This guy woudn't agree with you about splash damage :p

th_ScreenShot_076.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I like the Su-25 with rockets, with its big buzzard's wing you can really home in for the kill.

I find there is problem with visibility: you have to go REAL low & slow before you can visually ID the trucks. At 100 meters high, I should be able to see the driver in the truck, and yet all I see is a small black square. (It always strikes me when I land in a plane at an airport how clear my view is from considerable height, very much in contrast to most sims and even Lockon).

Another issue is that the columns tend to drive very much apart: there is considerable distance between each truck (mostly about twenty times the lenght of a truck, sure or highway police would congratulate those drivers!)

But then with some practice it works and is much, much fun!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN
It's just that the Russian rocket pods aren't effected like this. The Russian rockets seem to have a splash damage range, while the FFARs need a direct hit to destroy a target.

Reading up on the FFAR the basic warhead is a 10lb high exsposive charge. Doing a quick google search the bombs used in the London Tube terror attacks were believed to be 10lb of exsplosives, so you have an idea of the force there (and that's not even concidering the fragmentation effect that would go along with it)

So when I loose 38 rockets into a column of 6 vehicles, with multiple strikes within 10ft of the trucks, I have a pretty good idea that the target would be destroyed.

10lb of explosive in an enclosed space will do ten times (maybe not 10x, but a hellava lot more anyway) as much damage as 10lb of explosive in open air.

And, for our topic hijacking separatist firends: adding padding to one saide of the explosive, for instance water in a plastic bag, will deflect the explosive power towards the target surface, resulting in more damage with less explosives. Keep that in mind the next time you try blowing up an airplane in flight :p

The damage of a rocket also depends on the type of explosives used, and wether the warhead is AP or blast-fragmentation based.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Guest IguanaKing

Oh...I didn't know that, since I never fly Russian birds. Yes...2.75" FFARs are pretty nasty against personnel and unarmored or lightly armored vehicles IRL. LOTS of primary and secondary frag damage within a surprisingly large radius. Like I said before, maybe they'll fix it some day. Heck...we might even get to use CBU-87s from our Hogs and kill more than just one armored vehicle some day.

And, for our topic hijacking separatist firends: adding padding to one saide of the explosive, for instance water in a plastic bag, will deflect the explosive power towards the target surface, resulting in more damage with less explosives. Keep that in mind the next time you try blowing up an airplane in flight :p

The damage of a rocket also depends on the type of explosives used, and wether the warhead is AP or blast-fragmentation based.

LOL, you`re quite a separatist yourself - talking about shaped charges and

stuff...

And just imagine he survives all of thoes and than that bus runs him over lol

I can always count on a nice remark from you :beer:

Dual Core Poll Please Vote

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb