Virtual Patriots L-39

Flight Model Visualization Tool

Hello everyone,

Today I figured I would show you guys how I go about investigating flight model bugs and issues and how I was able to accelerate development through a custom written flight model visualization tool. I actually created this tool earlier this year and it has been essential in finding some of the more pesky bugs lurking in the code of the flight model.

Flight Model Visualization Tool

hB9ZXGC.png?1

The program was written in C++ and visualization is powered by OpenGL. SFML was used for joystick interaction with the program.

Simulation of aircraft flight dynamics can be real time or slow down/sped up. Forces and moments are calculated in an independent flight model dll and passed to JSBSim for physics integration and time-step updates.

See it in action:

• Like 2

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are planning both C and ZA models. They will essentially be the same, only the C model will not have the weapons system/associated panels of the ZA, and will gain features such as a fully customizable smoke system.

Best regards,

Tango.

Hello everyone,

Today I figured I would show you guys how I go about investigating flight model bugs and issues and how I was able to accelerate development through a custom written flight model visualization tool. I actually created this tool earlier this year and it has been essential in finding some of the more pesky bugs lurking in the code of the flight model.

The program was written in C++ and visualization is powered by OpenGL. SFML was used for joystick interaction with the program.

Simulation of aircraft flight dynamics can be real time or slow down/sped up. Forces and moments are calculated in an independent flight model dll and passed to JSBSim for physics integration and time-step updates.

Nice! This is exactly the kind of work where people can work together for same goals: more high-quality simulations :)

Hopefully this leads to helping with development all around so we get them sooner to play with ;)

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

Thank's for all the hard work (for the team who is working on it).

What is nice with you Tango, is that you make update really frequently in my opinion, I know that the biggest part of the work in a module is not visual but with you we can understand and imagine the progress, we don't have something like "I start the module" => "few months without any update" => "release".

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Make the reporting system great again!

[..] Simulation of aircraft flight dynamics can be real time or slow down/sped up. Forces and moments are calculated in an independent flight model dll and passed to JSBSim for physics integration and time-step updates.

Does that mean that the L-39 flight model is implemented in JSBSim for DCS too, if yes that's great! Its good to see that open source libraries can be used to build high quality flight models. Out of interest: Is there any thing that can't be modeled, or can you compare it with ED's flight model? What about the ground handling, is JSBSim at the same level as the PFM ?

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Flanker driver since 1996

Does that mean that the L-39 flight model is implemented in JSBSim for DCS too, if yes that's great! Its good to see that open source libraries can be used to build high quality flight models. Out of interest: Is there any thing that can't be modeled, or can you compare it with ED's flight model? What about the ground handling, is JSBSim at the same level as the PFM ?

No, this external program has nothing to do with DCS except for the fact that the same flight model dll was used. The flight model API for DCS, as anyone can see, sends atmospheric data and current aircraft state and retrieves updated forces and moments. Instead of using DCS to perform the time step physics updates, I used JSBSim to send the atmospheric conditions and current aircraft state.

JSBSim can be entirely self contained and provides native methods for force calculations, but they are very limited, so I simply bypassed those and used my own calculations.

Hello everyone,

Today I figured I would show you guys how I go about investigating flight model bugs and issues and how I was able to accelerate development through a custom written flight model visualization tool.

[...]

VERY much appreciated! I love seeing stuff like this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

A systems programming update:

Complete ADF radio simulation. This doesn't just include the wandering needle and general inaccuracy of the direction finding circuitry, but a COMPLETE simulation of the entire system.

List of features:

* Simulation of A1, A2 and A3 modulation of the ground station

* Highly accurate BFO tuning mode (yet another simulation first AFAIK)

* BFO mode ident (A1 modulation)

* Audio mode ident (A2 and A3 modulation)

* Accurate BFO tuning capability (characteristic hetrodyne when tuning)

* Sense and loop antennas modelled

* Comparator circuitry modelled, including simulation of cardioid signal pattern in loop antenna

* Automatic DF mode (comparator based)

* Accurate manual DF mode, including accurate signal peak simulation/nulls

* Stations can overlap and interfere with reception

* Accurate analog tuning - no digital on/off selection of the station

* Signal strength is affected by multiple conditions (range, altitude, weather conditions, time of day, accuracy of tuning)

* Coastal effect

* Night effect

* Weather (thunderstorm will cause needle to point away from station, and humidity can affect the signal)

* Static noises and clicks from simulated lightening strikes during thunderstorm and general noise

* Another cool feature that shall remain secret for now... ;)

* Manual and automatic mode for dual ADF approach (single receiver/RBI, dual-head tuner)

* Complete simulation of auto mode for dual-ADF approach

Stay *ahem* tuned *ahem* ...

Best regards,

Tango.

RKL41-0.jpg.6a6506ad5a53382b6bcc4438b27808e0.jpg

Edited by Tango

Good stuff Tango! You have been very busy! :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

A systems programming update:

Complete ADF radio simulation. This doesn't just include the wandering needle and general inaccuracy of the direction finding circuitry, but a COMPLETE simulation of the entire system.

List of features:

* Simulation of A1, A2 and A3 modulation of the ground station

* Highly accurate BFO tuning mode (yet another simulation first AFAIK)

* BFO mode ident (A1 modulation)

* Audio mode ident (A2 and A3 modulation)

* Accurate BFO tuning capability (characteristic hetrodyne when tuning)

* Sense and loop antennas modelled

* Comparator circuitry modelled, including simulation of cartoid signal pattern in loop antenna

* Automatic DF mode (comparator based)

* Accurate manual DF mode, including accurate signal peak simulation/nulls

* Stations can overlap and interfere with reception

* Accurate analog tuning - no digital on/off selection of the station

* Signal strength is affected by multiple conditions (range, altitude, weather conditions, time of day, accuracy of tuning)

* Coastal effect

* Night effect

* Weather (thunderstorm will cause needle to point away from station, and humidity can affect the signal)

* Static noises and clicks from simulated lightening strikes during thunderstorm and general noise

* Another cool feature that shall remain secret for now... ;)

* Manual and automatic mode for dual ADF approach (single receiver/RBI, dual-head tuner)

* Complete simulation of auto mode for dual-ADF approach

Stay *ahem* tuned *ahem* ...

Best regards,

Tango.

Amazing work Tango. Congratulations!

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sigpic97175_2_small.pngAERGES-LOGO-sin_fondo_small.png

Hi Patriots,

will you continue with your L-39 project, even if ED makes another one? Do you have a plan, if it will be free or if you sold it, like a 3rd party module? Or more fundamental: Are you planning to become a 3rd party developer?

Sorry, if I missed an answer to my questions in this thread.

regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]