Is that friend or foe? Should I shot? LOL

Fakum

I have been flying on the 104th server for the last few weeks (getting acclimated with multiplayer). I find most flyers are on TS, which is good. What is really become difficult is I’m finding that although there is reasonable chatter regarding what is flying over the AO, it still is convoluted. For example, last night we had to friendly F-15’s over the area because of the Air Cover from the enemy side over the AO. I’m flying the Hog,, I have (5) F-15 spikes on my RWR in close range, I see smoke and contrails all around me. As I’m crapping my pants trying to do a Mav run and my missile launch warning is going off and Im trying to lock up the MAV while evading etc,, a frog foot comes zipping by my wind screen,,, YIKES, he wasn’t on my radar? Anyway, all I’m saying is, I don’t know how you guys do it! I have not had one successful AIM 9 launch since I started MP,, I can’t figure out who is friendly as opposed or foe,,, It is fun though! And frustrating at the same time. If anyone has any tips, I’d be appreciative of any feedback. Thanks,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

The frogfoot is a CAS plane which means no radar which is why he didn't show on your RWR :) Sorry I can't offer much help, I only fly Russian planes :)

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Spend some time in the model viewer looking at country liveries. As the A-10 can't IFF, this is pretty much your only option. Some can be ID's from a ways away, depending on your monitor and zoom.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Good way is if you can see kills in chat, saw an aircraft shoot&kill somebody and you def. know it's enemy. Most of my hog A2A kills were that way. Now sometimes I did shoot on aircraft, where I wasn't sure if they were hostile or friendly. That can go either way, and you don't really want to take the risk to take out a friendly.

And as Exorcet said, you may want to try to learn the different skins for the countrys, but speaking for myself, I can't really do that. :D

As Apo said the chat is the best source of info of who's shooting what, you just need to put it against what you see in the cockpit.

So if you see a "Red killed Blue" msg and you see the plane going down you'll know he's there.

A good little tip I've used is getting my TGP on them from a distance to make out what markings they have.

It is difficult, firstly to find them and then track them long enough to see any markings but it has worked for me in the past.

Thanks Sceptre for the frogfoot info, I did not know that.

Regarding identifying visually, I have not had much luck with that, screws up my eyes zooming in and out , not to mention the time it takes when they are buzzing all around. I do understand the theory though, just cant seem to apply it well in the heat of battle when literally seconds count! 5 F-15s on RWR in close proximity, and knowing 2 are on your side,, makes it a tough call. I have been trying to disengage my approach to target until the smoke clears and have found myself losing a lot of time waiting for a better opportunity. I don’t think there is a sure fire cure for this, was just looking for opinions on how to deal with it. Thanks,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

As I’m crapping my pants trying to do a Mav run and my missile launch warning is going off and Im trying to lock up the MAV while evading etc,,

So you're aware, your MWS missile warning system can be triggered when friendly A-10s shoot Mavs at targets in your vicinity.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

So you're aware, your MWS missile warning system can be triggered when friendly A-10s shoot Mavs at targets in your vicinity.

Yes, very much so. Most times the guys will call out Rifle, Pickle, Fox etc, so that is helpful indeed.

One thing I need to do is adjust the font size of the Chat and Kill messages. Im running a 30" monitor @ 2560x1600 and cant read it as it is to tiny. Does anyone know which file to edit to increase this font size?

I feel your pain. I've also been dabbling in MP and I find it really, really difficult to build a picture of my position relative to friends/foes even though I'm listening in on TS. Throw in the fact that different players use jammers in very different ways and I might as well fly without any weapons since I never get to fire on anything.

Yeah, I dont get to many kills either, but its a work in progress. Im sure over time it will yield better results. One of my problems is that I get a bit impatient. It takes me about 5 minutes to get started and rolling to the runway, then time to get to area of operation, by then you could be 10 15 minutes into a flight and you only have an hour to fly. I feel time is to valuable and Im not getting anything done if I orbit around awaiting CAP or SEAD to open up the road for me, so I try and sneak in a bit here and there to get a shot off once in awhile, I usually dont last long due to either enemy fighter or SAM,, ehhhh,,, still working on it.

You can get rid of long range sams if you bait them to shooting at you, and then you dive behind a mountain or some good cover that will make them waste the missile. Eventually they will run out of ammo )))

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

I got shot down by an enemy f15 last night on the 104th. I was just doing some stress testing, so it didn't bother me that much, but sometimes, I do wonder if having the ability to only be connected to one TS channel at once makes it harder to work out what your own fighter group is doing. Even being able to passively monitor a second channel could be a help.

EDIT: I was flying and A-10 at the time, so was connected to the A-G channel - there was no one on it, so it would have made sense to go over to the AA channel. But that's not always the best thing to do if you do have a lot of other AG units you need to contact.

I tend to get the gist of some of the fighters intentions just by looking at their actions on the RWR, if someone is pinging me and quite clearly coming in a straight line towards me then I'll beam and see what he does. Of course, this is no help if they are radar silent

I think being able to quickly ask your own friendly fighters of their intentions and movements can really help situational awareness.

Edited by Remover_Dave

As many people have pointed out, it will come with time and experience. You have to track the battle in your head - that's "situational awareness" - and that takes practice and some inborn talent.

Don't feel that you're "not getting it" (yet; you'll get there). Identifying Friend or Foe in a battle is a very hard problem. Professional soldiers get it wrong; I think it's understandable that we do.

It would be nice if IFF systems were modeled in DCS.

As many people have pointed out, it will come with time and experience. You have to track the battle in your head - that's "situational awareness" - and that takes practice and some inborn talent.

Don't feel that you're "not getting it" (yet; you'll get there). Identifying Friend or Foe in a battle is a very hard problem. Professional soldiers get it wrong; I think it's understandable that we do.

It would be nice if IFF systems were modeled in DCS.

What we need in DCS is a dedicated HUMAN AWACS/GCI slot/module. At this time its very random what people do on servers that run PvP.

This will need a complete reworked radio system. For all aircraft and ground units. At this time the balance is in for the F15 in most case since datalink on the SU/MiG is broken/creates huge lags. So when ever this function is fixed your RWR will be almost last resort. The person(s) responsible for your safety will need to call you back to sam/fighter umbrella and/or direct CAP or Intercept flight toward you.

Best way to IFF at this time is TS and luck :)

What we need in DCS is a dedicated HUMAN AWACS/GCI slot/module. At this time its very random what people do on servers that run PvP.

I think even some simple AI changes would make a huge difference.

For existing missions, trigger zones could go a long way. In real life, you may not know exactly where every enemy unit is or what they're doing, but there are people keeping track of the enemy.

Putting a trigger zone around an ATG zone that announces enemy presence and maybe strength might be helpful. Really, if anything is in your territory, there's a chance it should be found and announced so people can look out for it or intercept it.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I think even some simple AI changes would make a huge difference.

For existing missions, trigger zones could go a long way. In real life, you may not know exactly where every enemy unit is or what they're doing, but there are people keeping track of the enemy.

Putting a trigger zone around an ATG zone that announces enemy presence and maybe strength might be helpful. Really, if anything is in your territory, there's a chance it should be found and announced so people can look out for it or intercept it.

This is an absolutely fantastic idea! It would give strikers some much needed extra protection when doing their job.

Maybe implement it to work at a certain radius from the target area..