Consideration - Freetrack vs. FaceTrack NoIR and more

I'm trying to use OpenTrack with Delanclip and PS3 Eye. I've successfully removed the IR filter and checked if my camera is working properly with CL Eye Test and it does.

The strange thing now is that I can't for the love of god make FaceTrackNoIR to properly recognize my DelanClip. The crosses are dancing constantly over my 3 dots.

In OpenTrack this works as it should without any issues but for some reason the head is not turning or rather none of the axis are moving when I turn my head.

I have PointTrack 1.1 selected with game protocol and Accela as my filter. Can anyone help?

Edit: I've managed to fix FaceTrackNoIR by using PointTrack 1.0 and it works great. But what about Open Track

Edited by Denco

i7 2600K 4.5 Ghz

Asus Maximus IV Gene-z

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WindForce 3X OC

Win7 64b

Corsair Vengance 8GB 1866Mhz

Windows 7 Ultimate 64b

Ok so I've tested OpenTrack and I just can't get it to work properly. View is either shaking or stuttering and tried many different settings.

On the other hand FaceTrack works very well.

i7 2600K 4.5 Ghz

Asus Maximus IV Gene-z

Win7 64b

Windows 7 Ultimate 64b

Denco, are you same person as here https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/issues/49#issuecomment-55126452 ?

If there are any further issues drop a note on the bug tracker. FWIW, the issue was fixed some months ago. I'll remove old versions with the bug from the website sometime.

Note that we now have a FAQ, guys, please link to it, since it only has a few answers and 80% of questions are answered there.

It seems random, not related to my head position or movement, but the different view only flashes for a single frame or so. At first I thought it was a gfx glitch because it looked like a random white flash, but after a while I figured out it was a randomly oriented cockpit view.

Are these PointTracker glitched view issues -or-

are they short flashes every few seconds that occur only in DCS?

The problem was reported more than half year ago and wasn't fixed. Just about every approach didn't help or made it worse. These aren't even flashes to (0,0,0 0,0,0), these are random! Unless DCS team helps, I see no idea to make it work for the time being.

I understand that playing with DLLs, editing Lua scripts sucks, but the solution isn't known, and issue only exists in DCS so far.

Not related to previous posts, but since hardware update I also had to reinstall FTNOIR. When I tried to set up my DIY project I read a lot of similar threads, so this may help someone, or even me If I have to reinstall everything:)

Before I thought that I had it set up pretty well, but it wasn't perfect. I guessed that it's cheap TIR alternative and that it will newer work 100%. I am using PS3 eye, DIY 3 point clip, point tracker 1.1, Accela filter and freetrack 2.0 game protocol.

This time I really put my time into it and is working very well. I tried Accela filter and it didn't work good, so i struggled with EWMA instead. But this time I read the instructions and used Accela with stock filter settings and (as instructions clearly stated) set smoothing to 1. There are of course other settings, but this is day and night compared to before. I couldn't go back.

There are a lot of settings and options, but most are easy to understand. The most important is, that you limit your up axis to 90° for DCS or your view will go weird when looking up. Also avoid too much tinkering in FTNOIR curves settings. I think it messes up game protocol for translations, rotations... It is better to set it up for your needs with ingame settings.

Also PS3 eye driver is not free anymore, and since I payed them some I also donated to FTNOIR devs. They sent me new alpha version which works without bugs. But I don't know if this version did anything to improve my experience, because I installed it in the beginning before setting everything up.

Yes, audio also works. I have problems with my onboard mic input because it plays my system sounds to others. I used PS3 eye mic and others say that it is very clear. I of course use headphones, otherwise this wouldn't be possible.

The instructions were something to refer basic questions to, but that you've actually READ them and were able to act on them. My hat off to you, Sir!

I don't know if you meant this as irony, but instructions for Accela filter are like few lines and a picture:lol:

http://sourceforge.net/p/facetracknoir/wiki/Accela/

That Accela wiki page that Wim wrote? There's no info there, just a screenshot and what a filter is for. No sarcasm, just old-timer mannerism.

Thanks for the info on the driver. It's now installed, and money can be spent on cigs, beer and vodka as usual. Cheers!

Hi sthalik. Yes I'm the same person. I still find stuttering to be bad when playing arma but not as much when playing DCS. Although I must say that with FTNIR the stuttering seems to be non existent or is so low that is not noticeable.

I still don't know what my reason for this could be?

i7 2600K 4.5 Ghz

Asus Maximus IV Gene-z

Win7 64b

Windows 7 Ultimate 64b

Just a note to other open track and ftnoir users, I was getting some unstable views out of both, neither could hold a zoomed in view well (for instance looking at the roof console in the UH-1H), and it kept flashing views occasionally also.

I took a look in DCS's controls config in the options menu under axis commands (admittedly because I was actually looking for something else at the time) and I found that it had the axis for headtracking listed twice, once under a column for headtracker and once under a column for TrackIR.

So I disabled all axis in the headtracker column for each module I have (Ka-50, UH-1H and A-10C), but left them in the TrackIR column and Open Track now seems to work much better, the other day after doing this I didn't notice any of the problems I had been having, and it seemed to move a little smoother.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

Can anyone post their settings for DCS in opentrack so that I can use it as a guide. I'm very interested in the Accelera 4 settings.

i7 2600K 4.5 Ghz

Asus Maximus IV Gene-z

Win7 64b

Windows 7 Ultimate 64b

I was able to fix my issue thanks to the creator of DelanClip for updating his manual. I've had to adjust some of my camera settings.

So OpenTrack works great now and for this small test I did Its a lot better than FTNOIR.

Sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for creating this app.

EDIT: Also I've contacted the creator of DelanClip and told him about OpenTrack so that he can add it in his manual as another source of tracking.

Edited by Denco

i7 2600K 4.5 Ghz

Asus Maximus IV Gene-z

Win7 64b

Windows 7 Ultimate 64b

Can anyone post their settings for DCS in opentrack so that I can use it as a guide. I'm very interested in the Accelera 4 settings.

Yeah sure. The first thing to do is to setup the correct model size in PointTracker!!!

My (current) Accela filter settings:

Rotation: 220

Translation: 170

Order #2: 10,8

Order #3: 2

Rotation deadband: 0,3

Translation deadband: 0,3

Exponent: 1,8

Curves are almost linear.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Hi gents,

I started another thread recently adding how to get started with one or the other free head trackers. I was referred here.

I have read through this thread but have not been able to out together a complete idea of how to get this working in DCS.

Can anyone point me to a guide for a complete beginner?

I have aPS3 can ready to mod, also have a Logitech cam.

I have facetracknoir installed at the moment and irleds are on the way.

Seems to be working so so in the app but in game the view just constantly rolls up.

I have a feeling something else needs to be configured.

Any advice appreciated.

R7 3800X - 32Gig RAM -- All SSD -- GTX1070 -- TM Warthog, MFG Crosswinds & TiR

Just bought a DelanClip. I hope it will arrive soon. At the moment I use FTNOIR with facetracking, which gets sometimes annoying when trying to look at the backpanel of a Black Shark for e.g.

I7-9700K -- 32GB RAM -- RTX 4070 -- Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle + WarBRD Base -- Thrustmaster TPR -- Quest 3 

The latest release of FTNOIR states that is using the Freetrack API and Plugins. It seems Freetrack is a dead end. We must support FacetrackNOIR

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

• 2 weeks later...
Hi falcon,

Everything else works very well indeed :) no 6DOF though. LED's are working.

I have the same issue with the latest version. It worked before this update. How can I revert back to previous version of DCS?

i7 2600K 4.5 Ghz

Asus Maximus IV Gene-z

Win7 64b

Windows 7 Ultimate 64b

It seems to be the problem with the latest version of OT. I've reverted back to the previous version and it works fine.

i7 2600K 4.5 Ghz

Asus Maximus IV Gene-z

Win7 64b

Windows 7 Ultimate 64b

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also I cant for the love of me fix the sideway zoom issue I'm having. In FTNIR it works as it should but with Opean Track whenever I look on the lower left/right control panel and try to zoom in the zoom gets inverted.

i7 2600K 4.5 Ghz

Asus Maximus IV Gene-z

Win7 64b

Windows 7 Ultimate 64b