Stall at Hi g maneuver

Neon67

Still in the dark as to why it couldn't be done.

Above Va, you're going to overstress the airframe before the stall. Enough above Va, and things are going to break, preventing you from reaching the stall. That's universal for all aircraft though.

Elevator deflection is pretty much an AoA selector, so what limits elevator deflection at speed in the F-15? Why isn't the limiter active at lower airspeeds? Why will it let you bend the airframe, but prevent a stall? Or do you, by "can't", refer to excessive control forces alone?

What constitutes 'high speed'? >M.3? >Va? >M1.0?

So there's a loss of control authority in the transonic region, preventing the pilot from increasing AoA to the stall?

Or are you talking about the normal supersonic stability increase reducing control authority to that point? Which leads to the interesting question of what control authority remains.

A reference or two would be of interest.

Thinking about it again, the PRC (Pitch Ratio Changer) will have changed the pitch ratio at high speeds so that it is simply not possible to deflect the elevators enough to do such a thing (but you still have enough authority to bend the aircraft - like I said, there's no limiter).

Perhaps if the PRC was damaged/off and had shifted to 1.0, you could deflect the elevators enough to stall the aircraft at high speed. I don't know what would come first: The airframe disintegrating or the stall.

So there's a loss of control authority in the transonic region, preventing the pilot from increasing AoA to the stall?

Or are you talking about the normal supersonic stability increase reducing control authority to that point? Which leads to the interesting question of what control authority remains.

A reference or two would be of interest.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

There is no limiter.

High speed is transonic.

Depends on what you mean by "limiter". The system itself is not "full" authority meaning the aircraft will only allow certain inputs based on what it knows.

Then there are certain limiters that are mechanical stops, such as the rudder limiter, for instance.