Install issues

v81

Resolved...

Here is what happened.

In my case DCS Black Shark 1 needs to be installed ** via steam! **.

Steam does not show a key for BS1, thus there is no key for doing the standalone BS1 install.

Then install DCS world

Then BS2, in my case selecting international BS1 -> BS2 upgrade option (or similar).

Then all worked, in fact not just worked but without eyefinity or similar i had it running across 3 screens with ease!

So now that it is running i have completed a couple of training excercises (no stick! )and all is well.

If i could provide feedback for the devs it would be - take a look at your licencing mechanisms.

They are indeed clumsy, especially in this case.

An alternative might to provide proof of ownership of a BS1 key to allow the purchase of a *proper* BS2 key at a reduced price, rather than the current setup that required 3 large downloads and plenty of mucking around.

Last of all thankyou for the patience, replies and support everyone.

Original post follows....

I have spend a week recently trying to get BS2 installed.

This is after trying a year or so ago and failing.

I have contacted support on this several times without a resolution and am now incredibly frustrated.

I had previously tried on steam, however is seems my key can not be activated on steam.

I have re-downloaded DCS and BS2 from the DCS site.

have tried installing from the installers.

DCS World runs, but when i log into the module manager (same user/pass as the DCS site where i can see my key) there is only a buy link that points to the DCS web page.

I have also tried getting it working by downloading and installing BS1 from the archive.

I have also asked what happens when i run out of activations 2 times and my question was not even acknowledged, let alone replied to.

I can see my self very soon writing this off as lost money and a bad experience with software that is both poor quality and poorly supported with insane activation issues.

THE GOAL

Is to get DCS World and BS2 installed and working, and get my lost activations restored.

Anything less than the above and i will not have gotten what i paid for.

I have visions of getting a stick and pedals, and a rift or similar, and then building up a collection DCS modules.

The way things are at the moment this is far from happening.

Support pls refer to ticket # 33526

Apologies if i sound frustrated, but it is because i *AM* frustrated!

Edited by v81
resolved

R7 3800X - 32Gig RAM -- All SSD -- GTX1070 -- TM Warthog, MFG Crosswinds & TiR

Do you have the BS2 Upgrade or the full version? If it is the upgrade, then you were correct in doing the BS1 installation. Did you activate BS1 (start a mission)? Is it BS1 activations that you have lost?

What, if any, error message are you getting when trying to activate BS2 (or BS1 if that was a problem)?

EDIT: Btw, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you are having issues.

EDIT2: The answer to the 'running out of activations' question has a different answer depending on whether we are talking about BS1 or BS2. Once we sort out the details of your issues, I am sure they can be resolved and your questions answered.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

There are 2 different serial numbers listed in My Orders page...

I have tried both.

The error text is..

"The system requires the correct Serial Number of the application to perform this operation. The Serial Number entered is wrong or mistyped. Enter a valid Serial Number and try again."

RE Activations -

Activated 16.12.2012 6:06:10 BUNCHOFLETTERSNUMBERS Australia 59.999.999.999

Activated 15.07.2013 5:03:51 BUNCHOFLETTERSNUMBERSAGAINAustralia 59.999.999.999

Appears, though i can only recall getting BS1 to work a long time ago.

Order: #81549 (DIFFERENT LETTERS HERE) from 16.12.2012 by virtual81

I have tried the above and also....

Serial Number: SE-SERIAL-SERIAL-SERIAL-SERIAL

In both BS1 and BS2

In both steam and not steam (am not using steam for DCS anymore to be clear)

With BS2 install from EXE in full BS2 mode and BS1 - > BS2 upgrade mode.

::edit::

It is an upgrade, though the original BS purchase no longer appears in "My Orders"

Edited by v81

I have tried the above and also....

Serial Number: SE-SERIAL-SERIAL-SERIAL-SERIAL

The set of letters/numbers in the pattern above is your key.

Since it is the Upgrade version then BS1 needs to be installed and activated (with it's own key). Once it is activated you should be able to activate BS2 with it's own key.

If this process is not working, which key is giving you the error you described?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Does he also need the original installation of the basic LockOn program, like the way it was originally? I still have mine on my computer.

I started first with LockOn, hardly played it at all. Added DCS A-10C as my 1st DCS purchase. DCS World did not exist yet. Added DCS BS1, updated the patches as they came along. Then bought DCS BS2 and updated the patches as they came along. I have never purchased the module for DCS World, my introduction into DCS World with BS2 was a free patch update.

In DCS World, my BS2 is the only program not purchased as a module using Module Manager and I have all the modules to date.

Would adding the program the older way by layering the installation before Module Manager came along with DCS World? Can that way of installing the program even still be done now?

Just saying. Knowing this maybe will prove helpful?

I think I would try resubmitting a ticket.

I had some issue when I originally joined 3 or 4 years ago. I submitted a ticket. The process is incredibly slow. One of the engineers wrote me back 2 or 3 weeks later via e-mail.

If no solution, maybe mail a landline mail letter to one of the head honchos to the company by preferably Registered Mail so you know somebody there got your letter. Google a WhoIs search to find out who the main principals are to DCS.

In USA, if a person hits the wall and gets stuck with negative purchases issues, I have gotten solution by writing a letter to my State's Attorney General's Office. I do not know what recourse there is dealing with Russia. Does the England partner have much to do with getting results with purchases issues?

Also, I read somewhere in the DCS Forums awhile back that the activations can be refreshed somehow to get more activations for free. I do not know how this is done.

There is a separate forum concerning Payment and Activation issues:

http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does he also need the original installation of the basic LockOn program, like the way it was originally? I still have mine on my computer.

LockOn is no longer needed for anything related to DCS World.

The set of letters/numbers in the pattern above is your key.

Since it is the Upgrade version then BS1 needs to be installed and activated (with it's own key). Once it is activated you should be able to activate BS2 with it's own key.

If this process is not working, which key is giving you the error you described?

Iirc, the window where you enter the serial number has a drop down menu where you have to select the type of serial number you are entering, i.e. if it is for BS2 Standard or BS2 Upgrade. This was also often a source for errors in the past.

Thankyou all for the replies.

I suspect the registration of BS1 is the issue.

I can't find a record of it in my "Personal Section"

Looks different to what it did when i was able to get BS1 going a couple of years ago.

There is a series of letters/numbers next to my order ID and the same numbers exist next to payment & shipping Paid: area.

I have tried entering this thinking it might be my original BS1 key that was used to make the BS2 upgrade purchase.

Seems this might not be the case, and i am without a BS1 key.

Can anyone confirm this?

In short, where do i found my BS1 key?

Aside....

Why this even needs to be done is crazy?, one should be able to just install and activate BS2 if one has purchased the upgrade and has a key.

A key is a key isn't it?

Also what happens to the BS1 installation?

Can it be uninstalled once activated or does it just sit there taking up 4.5 gig of space for now useful reason?

Thankyou all for the replies.

I suspect the registration of BS1 is the issue.

I can't find a record of it in my "Personal Section"

Looks different to what it did when i was able to get BS1 going a couple of years ago.

There is a series of letters/numbers next to my order ID and the same numbers exist next to payment & shipping Paid: area.

I have tried entering this thinking it might be my original BS1 key that was used to make the BS2 upgrade purchase.

Seems this might not be the case, and i am without a BS1 key.

Can anyone confirm this?

In short, where do i found my BS1 key?

Aside....

Why this even needs to be done is crazy?, one should be able to just install and activate BS2 if one has purchased the upgrade and has a key.

A key is a key isn't it?

Also what happens to the BS1 installation?

Can it be uninstalled once activated or does it just sit there taking up 4.5 gig of space for now useful reason?

The serial number can be found under "My Orders" and then the link "Detail" to the right. The serial number is then shown at the bottom of the new page. But this is only for purchases made at the Eagle Dynamics web store.

If you bought BS1- like I did - via Steam, you can retrieve the serial number there ("CD Key" somewhere in game properties, iirc). In all other cases ... it is up to you to find it - hopefully you wrote it down somewhere? :o)

The procedure of using a BS2 Upgrade serial number is ... annoying, agreed. The reasoning behind the necessity to install BS1 first is to make sure that you really are entitled to use the cheaper BS2 Upgrade key. *shrug*

Hi,

As far as I remember :

As you have a BS2 upgrade version (i.e. upgrade from BS1), you need to have BS1 installed & activated on your computer for being able to activate BS2.

1/ check you have BS1 installed and activated ; if not, install & activate it.

2/ install "BS2 upgrade" module into DCS World. I suggest you use the .exe installer instead of the module manager: by not using the module manager (for this one), you'll be sure it's not the problem. Here is where to download the installer.

3/ execute DCS World (a Ka-50 quickstart mission for example). Before loading the simulator, a DCS/StarForce prompt will ask you for the BS2 serial you got with your order. Copy/paste your serial number. You should get a message saying activation was successful, then DCS loading the BS2 mission.

Cheers

Az'

PS: Afterwards, you may want to remove BS1 from your computer, to save disk space. If you do so, please mind a "detail": The BS1 uninstaller will remove all of "Eagle Dynamics" folder from your Windows Start Menu. This is an old bug (at the time, only BS1 was in this folder, now there is DCS A-10C & DCS World too), and it cannot be corrected (would have to upgrade BS1, no point in this).

So, before uninstalling BS1, make a back-up copy of your Eagle Dynamics start menu folder. After uninstalling, re-place the copy in lieu of the deleted original (you can delete BS1-related shortcuts from it).

spacer.png