Gunsight only works on targets closer than 400m

stray cat

Something wrong with the gunsight?

From what I get so far, the pilot is supposed to hold the caging button, move the crosshair circle onto a target and it will "snap" on it, predicting where to shoot.

I tested on a few targets and I only once got a lock but that was after the target came within 400m but if I can get this close to a plane I dont need a target lock anymore to hit it. Is that a bug or intended? On any range after 400m the radar lamp flashes and the crosshair jitters.

• 1 month later...

From what I get so far, the pilot is supposed to hold the caging button, move the crosshair circle onto a target and it will "snap" on it, predicting where to shoot.

I tested on a few targets and I only once got a lock but that was after the target came within 400m but if I can get this close to a plane I dont need a target lock anymore to hit it. Is that a bug or intended? On any range after 400m the radar lamp flashes and the crosshair jitters.

+1

Yes it is really really tough. If this is an accurate depiction of the F86 air to air guns, I am amazed they shot any Mig15's down in Korea.

Hopefully just a bug which will get corrected....or I need a lot more practice.

CPU:i7920 @2.67GHz overclocked to 3.25Ghz

Video:ATI HD5780 Single Monitor

Ram:8 GB DDR3

Equipment:TrackIR4, Buttkicker2Gamer,CH ProFlight Pedals, Saitek X65 Controller

I've simply reverted to the "fixed" sight and try to get adequate at lead shooting. It works as well as the "jumping" sight.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

I may have fixed my own problem, which may or may not be related to the issues in this thread, so I will go ahead and describe in case it is a help to anyone.

My issues was the gun sight was jumping wildly across the hud and would never get a solid lock on the A2A target which made using guns nearly impossible. I finally figured out that by dialing the Radar Range Sweep Knob back about 50%, the gun sight is now steady and I get a good lock on the target.

Everyone else may already know this, but this was a major frustration for me which was killing the A2A experience.

CPU:i7920 @2.67GHz overclocked to 3.25Ghz

Video:ATI HD5780 Single Monitor

Ram:8 GB DDR3

Equipment:TrackIR4, Buttkicker2Gamer,CH ProFlight Pedals, Saitek X65 Controller

When the radar locks on it provides range info only it does not place the piper on the target.

Once locked you must electrically cage the sight, this action centers the piper and holds it there, then you must maneuver the plane to place the piper on the target hold it there for a second then release the electrical cage button now the piper will start to float around showing you where your rounds will be at the locked range when fired so you now have to maneuver the aircraft to place the piper on the target and fire , it works very well indeed and don`t forget lots of Saber pilots never actually shot anything down anyway .

When the radar locks on it provides range info only it does not place the piper on the target.

Once locked you must electrically cage the sight, this action centers the piper and holds it there, then you must maneuver the plane to place the piper on the target hold it there for a second then release the electrical cage button now the piper will start to float around showing you where your rounds will be at the locked range when fired so you now have to maneuver the aircraft to place the piper on the target and fire , it works very well indeed and don`t forget lots of Saber pilots never actually shot anything down anyway .

+1.

But this cage/uncage is useless IMHO because gunfighting changes every fraction of second, it's really hard to hold pipper on a maneuvering target like a MiG15 for 1 second to calculate distance. This distance calculating should be done automatically.

I prefer fixed gunsight with wingspan ruler. Just fly the bird to a certain point and pull trigger. :pilotfly:

The sight works as described above try it and how far out do you expect to engage a small rapidly maneuvering target , the guns on the Sabre were harmonised for 300m and last night i flew in formation (loosely) with another Sabre and an A-10C , i used my A4 sight to give me range to my leader, it locked on perfectly every time from over 4200ft range and showed rate of closure all the way.

Don`t forget if your below 6000ft altitude or in bad weather your lock range will be greatly reduced, turning down your sweep range will reduce the amount of interference from the ground etc.

Hi anql the ranging is automatic , you have to use the electric cage to tell the sight where the target is then you let go and the fun starts and yes it is damned difficult trust me , but if you really want to kill MIGs line them up on the runway and strafe them before they take off it relieves MIG kill stress every time ! :thumbup:

• ED Team
Add some & brake some, that seems to bee BST's motto lately....makes me wonder who the hell is beta-testing before an update:doh:

Yeah I paid $50 for a beta model, not for being a beta-tester:smilewink:

We do not get paid either, we do it because we love it and want to help ED, we put in a lot of time and we even enjoy it :)

These issues have been reported and will be fixed in time, I am still killing targets as it is so I am ok :P

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
Yeah I paid $50 for a beta model, not for being a beta-tester:smilewink:

You paid for a product not yet in final release, in that you agreed to have early access at the risk of bugs and problems.. if this not what you want, you may want to wait till its out of beta next time.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

You can wait!

Can't have too many Beta Testers:pilotfly:. As history has shown, try as they may to squash EVERY bug in these complex flight sims, there are usually a few that still get through and are found "in the mainstream":joystick:. The fact that we got the F-86 early (beta) meant that it was not yet fully flushed out and those that acquired it should have been aware of that reality. Like Sith said, don't want to participate in helping fine tuning a sim module, simply wait until it is released "Alpha". But even then it is unrealistic to think that there will not still be some customers who will take issue with the accuracy of some aspects. That's the world today, everyone is a critic.:music_whistling:

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Precisely!

Alpha is before Beta.

Since the F-86 is not "front line" yet, it is Beta. Alpha would be "front line".:thumbup:

Since the F-86 is not "front line" yet, it is Beta. Alpha would be "front line".:thumbup:

Are we into a semantics debate here?:music_whistling: If so, we'll refer to the final release as Gamma. How's that work for ya?

Edited by Chief1942

I stand humbly corrected.:mad: Was not aware of the "evolution" designations. My bad.:doh: