NAV modes - why are there more than 1?

I've started on one of the Su-25 campaigns, and I was having trouble setting up the navigation system to guide me home after I had reached my target area, and completed the mission objectives.

I thought perhaps that I had set up the wrong key on my x52, but back in the menu I saw that I had indeed set up the right key for selecting the next waypoint. This isn't the biggest problem in the world when there is still daylight, but during night-time missions, it is essential that the NAV system is able to guide me towards my home base.

Then I noticed that it wasn't enough to press 1 (NAV mode) once when going from 7 (A2G mode) to 1 (NAV mode). I had to press it twice. Then I could select the next waypoint, and everything was back to normal.

My question is: why are there several nav modes, how many are there, and what are each good for?

If you consider this to be a n00b question, please feel free to tell me :D

I want to get away, I wanna fly away.

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

- Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

When you press 1 from some other mode you get to the route following NAV mode, press it again & get Return (to home base), press it again & get a "Free Flight" NAV mode.

I Guess that's how the Russians do it, but it is all explained in the manual.

Now the autopilots in the 25T, they actually are confusing...

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply.

If I get to the "Enroute" nav mode when going from A2G to NAV mode, then I should be able to choose my next waypoint. I have to press the NAV mode select button twice to be able to do this, and that should really bring me to the "Return" sub mode, if I do as you, and the manual, say.

Well, anyway, it doesn't matter much, since I am able to navigate the aircraft with either one or two clicks on the nav mode button :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

How do they switch modes IRL? I find it hard to believe that there is a 1 key in the Su-25 that they cycle through the modes with!! Is it a toggle switch maybe or a knob that changes through the modes (like the ripple settings knob). It would be nice to see a bit more animation in the switches so you can see at a glance what mode you are in and for stuff like wingtip lights and taxi lights

Good point, VapoR. It would be easier if we could see which mode was selected somewhere in the cockpit. But if the pilots use a keyboard, which one do they use? Do they also have problems using the left and right windows keys? :D :D

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN
Well, that depends ... Falcon pilots probably use

lctrl+ralt+lshift+rwin+capslock+n :icon_fU:

HEH :D

For everything but the Su-25 it does say on the HUD what mode you're in, but I agree that a few more animations of the rotary switches etc (like the fire control switches for the cannon) would have been nice & made checking states eaasier.

Cheers.

When you press 1 from some other mode you get to the route following NAV mode, press it again & get Return (to home base), press it again & get a "Free Flight" NAV mode.

You missed the Landing(LNDG or "ПОС") mode, again selected by the 1 key, after the RTRN mode. You must select it in order to activate the ILS if you come from the correct side of the runway.

IRL, the navigation is totaly different. The main way for navigation in the Su-25(and the other russian planes, except for the Su-33) is the RSBN radionavigation system which is similar to the western TACAN. So IRL you have to switch frequencies, lock beacons and so on. Also, I don't believe that many military airfileds are equipped with ILS. Not to mention that russian planes(at least in the Bulgarian AF) have GPS receivers. However the inner and outer markers are present which is correct.

My opinion is that the navigation systems needs major rework, they just don't operate the way they should. Especially the Su-33, it has totaly different nav system because of it's naval nature.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

You missed the Landing(LNDG or "ПОС") mode, again selected by the 1 key, after the RTRN mode. You must select it in order to activate the ILS if you come from the correct side of the runway.

IRL, the navigation is totaly different. The main way for navigation in the Su-25(and the other russian planes, except for the Su-33) is the RSBN radionavigation system which is similar to the western TACAN. So IRL you have to switch frequencies, lock beacons and so on. Also, I don't believe that many military airfileds are equipped with ILS. Not to mention that russian planes(at least in the Bulgarian AF) have GPS receivers. However the inner and outer markers are present which is correct.

My opinion is that the navigation systems needs major rework, they just don't operate the way they should. Especially the Su-33, it has totaly different nav system because of it's naval nature.

How about inertial nav. Also, how different is the naval "nature"?

Agreed on some military fields lacking ILS and that Lockon needs a major

rework on nav part.

']or they just click the switch in the fully clickable pit. :icon_fU:

I know that you really meant to say, 'a switch or five'! ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda