Oculus Rift in DCS: World - Quick Look Video

Bunyap

Here is a look at the Oculus Rift DK2 and how it works with DCS: World at the moment. It is already one of the neatest experiences I have had in flight simming but it is just a fraction short of replacing my monitor at this point. Maybe soon...

The first eight minutes or so are just set-up so feel free to skip that part if you want to get straight to the impressions of the flight.

• Like 3

Great post and great video......thanks a lot for it.

I am very interested in getting a rift at some point, but what you said about waiting for the consumer version release just backed up what my thinking on this was, so thanks again for that.

But the rift is definitely on my future shopping list.

Please do keep us updated on your thoughts and experiences on it :thumbup:

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I'm really grateful you took the time for this as many of the things you said were answers to questions I wanted to know, even though this is your own feelings, i believe it was fair and i was really interested in your opinions. Thanks loads. I really can't wait for this to evolve.

It begs a question...is it worth developing the ideal VFR only type aircraft for special use with Occulus DK2, where the definition is of less importance?

Edited by Pikey
spelling

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Here is a look at the Oculus Rift DK2 and how it works with DCS: World at the moment. It is already one of the neatest experiences I have had in flight simming but it is just a fraction short of replacing my monitor at this point. Maybe soon...

The first eight minutes or so are just set-up so feel free to skip that part if you want to get straight to the impressions of the flight.

Thanks for putting a youtube up. It sounds like this could be a real hit, but I'm waiting to see what exactly I can use this with, meaning waiting to see how Flight and Air Combat Sims Develop before I splurge cash on this nice tech.

Its probably better to wait and see the price drop a few $$$ too.

I would like to see how they could incorporate this tech with new 3D Ulrta HD LCD screens coming out maybe they will have manufactures now scrambling to combine virtual reality vision gear who knows where this is heading me waiting a while longer things move to quick now we have PS4 non playable PS3 games now!cry.gif

Certainly is nice! :thumbup:

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

very good review, thanks

just one question - how can we use keyboard or even HOTAS (switches on it) with eyes "blinded" by Rift?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Win11x64, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, i5-8600K OC4.5 GHz, 120GB SSD INTEL 530, SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250G, 1TB HDD WD RED, MSI Z370-A PRO, Cougar AQUA 360 CPU cooler, Kingston 2x32GB DDR4 3800MHz, 4K LG 50" Monitor, Meta Quest Pro VR, Orion2 HOTAS MAX,Orion Metal Flight Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition), GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT.

how can we use keyboard or even HOTAS (switches on it) with eyes "blinded" by Rift?

ATM-braille-buttons_5.jpg

:D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

AFAIK most keyboards have stripes on 2 keys located somewhere in the middle, maybe F and H or so.If youve learned 10finger writing technique you should have no problem writing blind. So its just a training thing.

Using the Hotas blind should be easy or are you looking on your Hotas searching keys? :]

all this funny, but what about home made cockpits?

IMO no way use w/o virtual gloves

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Win11x64, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, i5-8600K OC4.5 GHz, 120GB SSD INTEL 530, SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250G, 1TB HDD WD RED, MSI Z370-A PRO, Cougar AQUA 360 CPU cooler, Kingston 2x32GB DDR4 3800MHz, 4K LG 50" Monitor, Meta Quest Pro VR, Orion2 HOTAS MAX,Orion Metal Flight Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition), GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT.

all this funny, but what about home made cockpits?

IMO no way use w/o virtual gloves

I would suggest that if you have a complete pit, then the Rift (or an VR headset) is not the correct solution.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Gremlin's idea might solve it.

sounds promising...like to see it integrated

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gremlin's idea might solve it.

Yes. He may really have something there that would be ideal. Now I just need room for the front end of a jet! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

im on the rocks here to buy it this month,even that the resolution its not a 4K im impressed with this experience so far!!

the only downside is that i have to wait 2 months till i receive it!!!:cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

looks amazing and makes wanna push that order button for a DK2

the price isn't the issue , its the low res that deterred me , 1920x1080 is fine but not in portrait (meaning that the whole screen is spread over 1080 pixels instead of normally atleast 1920 pixels.

anyway , great video!

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would say that for a "real" simpit the Cast AR is better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

looks amazing and makes wanna push that order button for a DK2

the price isn't the issue , its the low res that deterred me , 1920x1080 is fine but not in portrait (meaning that the whole screen is spread over 1080 pixels instead of normally atleast 1920 pixels.

anyway , great video!

The Rift doesn't work like that. The screen is horizontal and divided in half, one half for your left eye and one half for your right eye, so you get 960x1080 per eye. However, the lenses make it so your field of view is nearly 100 degrees, yielding a relatively low pixel-per-degree. I've been playing around with the DK2 and the resolution is just low enough that you can't read the HUD, making it challenging to fight and fly effectively. The immersion is astounding, though. When the first consumer kit comes out, hopefully with high-resolution bespoke OLED panels, this will be amazing.

-stubboyo