Are there still people making/selling panel face plates?

TigersharkBAS

The thing is, no matter how realistic your cockpit is, it will never get off the ground. even with a motion simulator the chances of crashing and dying during a crosswind landing is nil. In St. Pete I would have to clear a 5 story hospital then drop down to land on runway 07 with a 15 knot crosswind, then get stopped before taking a swim with the sharks in Tampa Bay. When it's all said and done this really is just a game.

John

Very much agree on that point. Look, it's a home flight simulator. The more details the better, but there is a point of diminished return. Even if you are building a real replica that can take off, there is still a point of diminished return. I ain't going to spend 10 years collecting all the authentic measurements. That's just me. But to some, that's their "hobby", it's their pride and joy collecting this stuff (I collect the useless state quarters. ;-). Great, each to his/her own. If you would share that info collected over the 10 years period, I'd greatly appreciate for saving me a lot of time! Hey, if you publish a book, I'd even be glad to pay for it!

That point of diminished return is different for everybody. To me, it's not worth my time chasing down the last detail. I am not even interested in building the whole pit. I only want some panels that matters to me in the air. Lighting control panel is NOT one of them, but that's the only one I can get on eBay and it serves as a good sample to see how real panels are made and emulate "as close as I CARE." Note that, NOT as close as I CAN.

I am more interested in the real function behind them that gives me an edge in the air. That's why I wrote Hempstick because after I got the panel to my satisfaction, I couldn't find a suitable controller to drive it, not even for a freaking simple lighting control panel that does not give me any edge in the air! All the commercial controllers I could find are not extendable, and the extendable ones are Arduino crap; none of them meet my criteria (I care more here, not there!). And, except one or two controllers, all use extremely outdated MCUs. Without good controllers behind these... to me, it's just a good light show; useless to me. But to others, that might be good enough. Hey, everybody values different things... If Arduino is good enough for you, it's good enough.

With as many of you guys that have build or purchased lasers and invested any ware from $1200 to $2000.00 or more in to it. With no complete plans available yet what are you guys doing for your panel sizes? just scaling off of picture or are you waiting on the plans ?

I'm not yet that deep $ in laser equipment.

Working in cad on new iteration of non replica panels.Sinse exact dims are not (yet?) available to general public my work is indeed based of pictures, but knowing the pitch distance of dzus rails height can be estimated quite closely. For width I have that volume panel I got from you. So it is almost there.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

I think its very easy to have a view or opinion and believe in it. Its a lot harder to be challenged on that view point. There are some very passionate people on this forum, some are passionate about the game aspect whilst some are more interested in the ability to build an accurate replica.

Its all too easy to get bent out of shape trying to get your opinion across or defending your own. At the end of the day, it comes down to what each person wants at that point in time. Sometimes you just have to make that journey before you are willing to see someone else point of view.

Case in point I make a statement about building a CDU panel some time back, i said i wasnt going to bother with accurate DZUS measurements. This statement drew a comment from someone who was passionate about accuracy, and had spent a lot of time doing dzus measurements. We disagreed and it escalated. blah blah blah etc.

This weekend i redid my cdu panel having recently learned how to etch my own pcbs. Wanted to try the CDU again so i used WAXI's CDU plans. More authentic measurements than my attempt and had the DZUS holes in the right place (well i think they are :).

At this point in my pit building career it feels right to use the measurements, at the earlier point i couldnt have given two f**ks what someone else thought because my priorities were different. I resented the comments and the approach that was taken and i fell out with the guy. Shame really. I wish i had been a bit more chilled out about it all.:music_whistling:

Deadmans comments here make a lot more sense to me now. And if i get the time to build it right i will damn well do it. However newly married and new house make impressive demands on my time (and im not even counting my job) so i know im going to be making some shortcuts.....Again its a shame as i have the tools to build a more precise cockpit but i just dont have the luxury of time.:cry:

"Personally I think if your taking the time to make a cockpit your doing it to do several things to feel more like your really flying in a aircraft. To get the tactile sense of being in a cockpit with switches and to create a more realistic over all experience to really get the adrenalin pumping!!

Now if you have access to a CNC or a CNC Laser why would you not go for the highest detail possible? I have been so impressed with the KA50 pit makers their attention to even the smallest detail is real incredible. " :thumbup:

Id love to offer help building panels for people, but the effort and time involved escalate rapidly especially when people want to just buy a finished product.

Edited by Devon Custard

Most of the people that drew up plans are from the EU hence the metric plans.

Thick 8 i am not quite sure why you keep bring up the ASE standard when there has never been a clear conection made between it and the actual panel design

My bad. I have an automotive background so the comparison is always SAE vs. Metric. I Guess ANSI would be the more accurate acronym.

You have directed me to some very informative government resources for panel design and all of them have been ANSI based.

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

@TigersharkBAS

I have a Caution Panel and UFC that I would be willing to sell. I made these for my pit, but scraped the A-10 pit when it was announced that a F/a-18 module was being released. Both of these panels are ready to go. The CP has LEDs wired to a phidgets 64 card that works with HELIOS. The UFC has a Leo Bodnar card in it attached to simple pushbuttons and behaves like joystick as far as the sim is concerned.

When I was making the panels to sell, the UFC went for $100 and the CP for $140, but these prices did not include the electronics.

If you don't want the ones I have, I can *possibly* make panels for you if the design is not too complex and you can draw up the panels you want. The only panels I am focusing on these days are for the F/A-18 so I don't have any designs for other aircraft. My laser is set up and running, I just have very limited time these days. The easier the panel design, the more likely I could help you out.

Thanks pitbldr. On vacation at the moment but I'll be in touch.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Creator of:

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" 1998 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213788

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" July 2001 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215950

Pilot avatars for DCS Logbook

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221160

How to make a DCS A-10C Panel

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=65998

pitbldr Your caution panel is really a great copy sorry we lost you to the F/A 18

Edited by Deadman

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

@TigersharkBAS

I have a Caution Panel and UFC that I would be willing to sell. I made these for my pit, but scraped the A-10 pit when it was announced that a F/a-18 module was being released. Both of these panels are ready to go. The CP has LEDs wired to a phidgets 64 card that works with HELIOS. The UFC has a Leo Bodnar card in it attached to simple pushbuttons and behaves like joystick as far as the sim is concerned.

When I was making the panels to sell, the UFC went for $100 and the CP for $140, but these prices did not include the electronics.

If you don't want the ones I have, I can *possibly* make panels for you if the design is not too complex and you can draw up the panels you want. The only panels I am focusing on these days are for the F/A-18 so I don't have any designs for other aircraft. My laser is set up and running, I just have very limited time these days. The easier the panel design, the more likely I could help you out.

So this F/A-18 - any pics :music_whistling:

pitbldr Your caution panel is really a great copy sorry we lost you to the F/A 18

Thanks! It is probably the part I was proudest of. The Hornet has always been my favorite jet though. I served in the Navy for one (not tied to aviation unfortunately) and I love carrier ops. I would have loved an A-10 and F/A-18 sitting side by side, but I just don't have the space.

So this F/A-18 - any pics :music_whistling:

No pics yet. Still in the planning/modeling phase. It's going more slowly than I would like, but there's a ton of other stuff going on right now. When I make some progress, I will definitely be posting some updates.

Sure thing.

Remember to join us at hornetpits.org :)

Chain

System:

Windows 10 | i7-7700K @ 4.5 Ghz | 32GB of RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080, 3440x1440 | DELL Ultrawide U3415W | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 and 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | TM Warthog Hotas | SLAW F-16 Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive PRO VR

+ High fidelity F/A-18C simpit :)

• 4 months later...

I know some of the posts are old but I'll add my 2 cents worth to the conversation. It really is about what is good enuf to give the most realistic simulation. 10 years ago I started out on Viperpits.org and was impressed with all the true to scale stuff that was there. I then decided to embark on a quest to build an F-22 pit and oh what bad idea that was. If you think theres nothing available out there anywhere on the A-10....try searching for F-22 info, I think that brick wall was reinforced! Over time what little I could get was based on compromise, conjecture and plain old "that looks good enuf" All this was in hopes that sooner or later someone would release a good sim of the F-22 but alas that hasnt happened yet and probably wont before I die! So now Im here and starting all over again on a Hawg pit and believe me, even without all the accurate measurement info it seems much easier than an F-22......and having learned my lesson that somethings just need to be good enuf!